News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Silent Streets

Started by roadman65, August 02, 2018, 06:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing that in my homestate of New Jersey and even here in Florida we have roads with local street names that are not mentioned on street blades but rather their state (or US) route number instead.

In New Jersey you have US 1 & 9 as Edgar Road in both Linden and Elizabeth signed on city street signs, but on overhead signs its just US 1 & 9.  In Rahway where Edgar Road continues, until the Woodbridge Township Line the city street signs even omit the name despite it is officially Edgar Road and even used by businesses there.

In West Milford, NJ Route 23 is the Hamburg Turnpike, but West Milford (and even Jefferson and Kinnelon) that have the SB lanes of the road within their borders) does not sign the name even on local signage.

Florida you have Semoran Blvd. that is in two segments (thanks to Altamonte Springs who prefer to name their part of that street after themselves and call it Altamonte Drive), but the east segment in Casselberry signs all signs as "SR 436" and omits Semoran.  Also where US 192 straddles the Orange- Osceola County Line, Orange County will not sign Irlo Bronson Highway as neighboring Osceola County does across the very same highway.

Any other cases where the community does not want you to know the actual street name, but only the numbered route?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

Many small towns will opt to sign the main highway through town with the route number rather than the street name (usually "Main Street").

This stretch of US 89 in Bountiful, Utah is officially named Main Street, and formerly connected to the main segment of Bountiful's Main Street. However, this connection has been removed, and North Salt Lake does not have a name for its portion of the route, so Bountiful and North Salt Lake simply sign it as US 89. If you asked a local what the name of that road was, they'd say Highway 89; "Main Street" wouldn't even come to mind.

But in 2015 when the 2600 South intersection was reconstructed, these street blades were put up. They are the only signed references to "Main Street" on this segment of 89.

bzakharin

I think if a road has both a number and a name, exit signage on freeways will list only the number along with a destination. Exceptions would be in more urban areas where the street name could serve as a destination as well. Of course this is just a general rule and there will be exceptions. But I-295 in NJ extends this practice even to county routes, whose numbers most people don't know. This sign is particularly egregious:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8402121,-75.1931152,3a,37.5y,61.25h,101.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sr4vmj4VQGQiegE5iu4RoIw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

Roadrunner75

Quote from: bzakharin on August 02, 2018, 08:02:19 PM
I think if a road has both a number and a name, exit signage on freeways will list only the number along with a destination. Exceptions would be in more urban areas where the street name could serve as a destination as well. Of course this is just a general rule and there will be exceptions. But I-295 in NJ extends this practice even to county routes, whose numbers most people don't know. This sign is particularly egregious:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8402121,-75.1931152,3a,37.5y,61.25h,101.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sr4vmj4VQGQiegE5iu4RoIw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1
I find it funny that before I clicked the link above I knew exactly what sign this was going to be.

Reading the topic, I immediately thought of US 130 / "Crescent Blvd" in the Brooklawn/Camden/Pennsauken area of NJ.  I don't know of anyone who knows it by its street name, but it actually is dual signed pretty well on signal arms, while being signed as 'US 130' on some of the few ground mounted signs along the route.

bassoon1986

LA 28 does not follow east-west city streets anymore through Alexandria/Pineville. It shares roadways with MacArthur Dr (US 71/167), I-49, and the Pineville Expressway (US 167). From Alexandria west, the highway is Coliseum Blvd but everyone just calls it "28 West."  In Pineville, there are no street blades anywhere on the highway and it is only called 28 East. Officially I think it is Holloway Prairie Rd. The only reason I ever knew is because a McDonalds receipt still showed that road name as the address.

iPhone

pianocello

IA 1 and US 6 along the south side of Iowa City is only known by their route numbers. In fact, I don't think the road was given a name to begin with.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Max Rockatansky

A lot of roads in California have "Route XX"  on street blades but usually have some sort unsigned street name.  Generally only routes that have built onto bypassed don't have a true street name. 

ErmineNotyours

I think this counts.  When the Mercer Island Floating Bridge was built in 1939, the four lane undivided limited access approach had street names on an on- and off-ramp pair in Seattle.  I don't think these ramps were regular streets where you could put in driveway, and I don't think the ramps were signed with those names, but here they are on a 1978 Thomas Bros. Map as Ridge Place South and Baker Place South.

1978 Thomas Bros Seattle Map Detail by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Bruce

Sections of SR 99 in south Snohomish County are actually known on paper as the Pacific Highway, but their street blades only have SR 99 or Highway 99.

SectorZ

My latent OCD makes me want to rearrange the numbers on that sign into numerical order.

roadman65

I also see that on some maps US 22 in Hillside, NJ is known as Albert Street, but Hillside has it street blades just as either US 22 or Route 22.   I do not even think businesses along Route 22 even use the name or know it exists,

In Totawa, NJ there is an old map that shows US 46 as Pellington Blvd.   However, the US route there is an almost freeway.  US 46 is a major highway with businesses and right in and right outs, but no median breaks and freeway type interchanges at all its intersections with other major roads.  Being of its nature, I cannot figure out why a name would be given by the local communities, but we have another thread talking about street names on freeways, so anything is possible.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

This isn't common in Michigan or at least I haven't seen it too common but yesterday I was in Bay City and on the corner of Thomas and Gies and noticed that the street sign only had Gies on it and not Thomas. Thomas is a one-way street and is a state highway (M-25) and I never noticed that Thomas doesn't have a street sign at that intersection before.

bzakharin

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 02, 2018, 08:44:27 PM
I find it funny that before I clicked the link above I knew exactly what sign this was going to be.

Reading the topic, I immediately thought of US 130 / "Crescent Blvd" in the Brooklawn/Camden/Pennsauken area of NJ.  I don't know of anyone who knows it by its street name, but it actually is dual signed pretty well on signal arms, while being signed as 'US 130' on some of the few ground mounted signs along the route.
When you have loved ones buried at Crescent Cemetery you have a bit of a different perspective on that one.

Brian556

Here in Lewisville/Flower Mound/Highland Village, TX, FM 407 did not have any street name signs that said "Justin Rd" for the longest time. Now all signal-mounted signs, and Flower Mound's post-mounted signs say it, but Lewisville and Highland Village's post-mounted signs still say "FM 407".

Before the I-35E reconstruction, the exit sign said "FM 407 Justin". After reconstruction, it says "FM 407 Lake Park Rd, Justin Rd"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.