News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

CA 155

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 08, 2018, 11:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Did the entirety of CA 155 this morning east from CA 99 in Delano to CA 178 in Lake Isabella.  Flipping through the photos you can see the smoke from the Fergusson Fire lifting approaching Greenhorn Summit or pretty much anything over 5,500 feet above sea level.  I managed to capture the end points of Old Highway east of Greenhorn Summit.  Modern CA 155 has 13% grades descending from Greenhorn Summit to Wofford Heights, kind of makes me wonder how bad the older route is.  Not much in terms of traffic, I only encountered two vehicles east heading the opposite direction of Delano to Wofford Heights:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmnVY2kP

nexus73

The "All Vehicles Use Low Gear" sign could also be titled "Test Your Brakes, Test Your Luck!"...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on August 09, 2018, 09:09:49 PM
The "All Vehicles Use Low Gear" sign could also be titled "Test Your Brakes, Test Your Luck!"...LOL!

Rick

Had I been working with vented discs I think it would have been fine.  I used 3rd gear the entire way downhill, I was still getting a solid 35-45 MPH going.  Has me wondering how bad Old Highway was that a 13% grade is considered an improvement. 

Max Rockatansky

Just finished my road blog on CA 155.  Surprisingly there is a lot to the back story of CA 155 with all the shifts in LRN 142, LRN 136, CA 65, and CA 211.  I found it kind of surprising that CA 155 largely follows a Kern Gold Rush Era wagon route still over Greenhorn Summit.  I managed to wedge in a couple of my photos of Old Kernville given LRN 142 was largely meant to service said community before Lake Isabella was created.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/08/california-state-route-155.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.