News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Old Big Oak Flat Road

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 28, 2018, 11:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Took a trip up to Yosemite to hike the Old Big Oak Flat Road which is surprisingly intact in constrast to the Old Wawona Road.  The Old Big Oak Flat Road was completed from Big Oak Flat to Yosemite Valley as a wagon route by 1874.  CA 120 west of Yosemite National Park largely follows the path of the Big Oak Flat Road but it has been substantially changed in Yosemite National Park with the modern three tunnel route descending into Yosemite Valley opening in 1940. 

The Old Big Oak Flat Road came into Yosemite Valley near the El Captain Bridge at Yosemite Valley Mile Marker 7.  From Yosemite Valley the Old Big Oak Flat Road was accessible on foot for about two miles before there was impassable rockfall.  Apparently the rock fall in question dates back to 1943 and blocks access to the 14% uphill grade to Cascade Creek.  From Cascade Creek northward there is a segment of the Old Big Flat Road which is used a part of the Tamarack Trail to Tamarack Flat.  North from Tamarack Flat there is a open segment of the Old Big Oak Flat Road to the Tioga Pass Road.  There are two additional segments of the Old Big Oak Flat Road north of the Tioga Pass Road which are still accessible on foot; one through the Tuolumne Grove.

For the most part I found old asphalt that has weathered surprisingly well on all segments.  The old grade of the Old Big Oak Flat Road can be seen from the Tunnel View ascending to Cascade Creek underneath the rockfall.  The Tamarack Trail segment of the Old Big Oak Flat Road is largely intact aside from various washouts.  All in all I'd say the roadway has held up surprisingly well all things considered.  I just finished my photo album and will have a blog post worked up probably some time this weekend:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmokdiAj

Max Rockatansky

Completed my blog entry on the history of the Big Oak Flat Road in Yosemite National Park.  I prepared four maps showing the difference in alignments between the original 1874 route versus the 1940 route that is in use now.  Compared to the Wawona Road and Tioga Road the alignment of the Big Oak Flat Road has the most extensive change over time with none of the original road currently in use.  There is a substantial amount of the Old Big Oak Flat road bed which has been recycled into trails.  That said, ts kind of a shame that climbing out of Yosemite Valley is essentially impossible due to rock slides.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/09/history-of-big-oak-flat-road-yosemite.html

Max Rockatansky

Here are my maps if anyone wants to have a quick comparison at what the original Big Oak Flat Road looks like compared to the current route:

X1 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

X2 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

X3 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

X4 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.