Woah! This intersection in New Jersey...

Started by johndoe, October 26, 2018, 10:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe

billpa

Looks like gsv was there when the cops were at a fender bender.

Pixel 2

jeffandnicole

You mean a 6 lane shoulderless highway cutting thru a circle with jughandles and RIROs all within 700 feet isn't standard in your state?

mgk920

froggie

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 10:29:46 AM
You mean a 6 lane shoulderless highway cutting thru a circle with jughandles and RIROs all within 700 feet isn't standard in your state?

After reading this and before looking at the actual map link, my first thought was the example on Route 1 near Princeton...

NJRoadfan

I drive thru that mess multiple times a week. It usually works fine. Like all circle-cut intersections, its best to make the left directly onto the divided highway instead of looping around via the circle..... if you try that here you will cause an accident since people coming from Mountain Ave. aren't expecting the left merge traffic... at least when it isn't backed up with cars already.

jakeroot

The geometry certainly is unusual (kind of off-set at an odd angle, with streets having to curl to meet it), but as a concept ('Hamburger' roundabout), definitely not too unusual in New Jersey.

Credit for creativity, though! Modern intersection designers would likely make a four-way intersection at Raymond, and a 'T' at Mountain Ave, but that would require center turn lanes, which this clever intersection does not.

kevinb1994

I rarely went through that setup when I was growing up in Somerset County (Franklin Township). One time was for a cousin's birthday party sometime in the mid-2000's.

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 30, 2018, 11:41:46 PM
There's a similar one along US-1 in Princeton: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3315769,-74.637896,165m/data=!3m1!1e3

I always remember this circle because it's just down the street from the building where "House, MD" supposedly takes place (where the aerial shots are taken).

froggie

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on October 31, 2018, 01:00:17 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on October 30, 2018, 11:41:46 PM
There's a similar one along US-1 in Princeton: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3315769,-74.637896,165m/data=!3m1!1e3

Just a normal hamburger.  Those are all over the world.

Except traffic was a mess when we were trying to get to and from the Camden and Trenton areas (and beyond). If it weren't for the NIMBYs they'd have grade-separation in that area already.

sbeaver44

Quote from: johndoe on October 26, 2018, 10:01:55 AM
I don't think I've seen anything quite like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6413652,-74.4159694,206m/data=!3m1!1e3

Anyone know of similar setups?
I spy a Speed Limit 7 sign in a driveway near the SW part of the intersection on Mountain Ave

Nexus 6P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.