News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Low clearances

Started by D-Dey65, August 30, 2011, 06:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcorlandoinsavannah

Maitland, FL covered bridge:
6'6"
Notice that they don't even want bicyclists to ride under that thing!

1995hoo

Seen yesterday in Charlottesville. Turned out the bus was carrying the Skip Castro Band, who were performing on the Lawn for Reunions last night, which makes it even worse: The band members are alumni who should know that low bridge is there! A bunch of us were yelling and waving our arms at the driver (turned out to be the keyboard player) and he stopped just in time. Had to stop all the traffic to make room for the bus to back up.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DeaconG

Did someone say low bridge?

Here's one in Marianna, FL:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.776302,-85.237201,3a,75y,209.12h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQMJtgzFa_LuqougTFoTw4Q!2e0?hl=en

First time I saw it I remembered saying "Are you kidding me?"
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

SignGeek101

Brian556

quote from: tcorlandoinsavannah:
QuoteMaitland, FL covered bridge:
6'6"
Notice that they don't even want bicyclists to ride under that thing!
I don't think the bike route sign has anything to do with the clearance. The trail just happened to be there

Mt Dora, FL:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.805883,-81.65683,3a,37.9y,198.97h,73.69t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sx0MArRPQp_m9nfARG6KXfg!2e0
Notice the lack of proper yellow clearance signage. Not good.

steviep24

Culvert Rd. in Medina, NY. Clearance at the Erie Canal culvert/aqueduct is 7' 6".

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.23518,-78.340407,3a,30y,359h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1snkPNh0--qViXo8MzMObd7Q!2e0!6m1!1e1?hl=en

This is probably the only place you can drive under the canal.

Brian556

Quote from steviep24:
QuoteThis is probably the only place you can drive under the canal
Not True. Here's one at Epcot in Florida
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3692487,-81.554006,199m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

cl94

Quote from: Brian556 on June 07, 2015, 09:00:22 PM
Quote from steviep24:
QuoteThis is probably the only place you can drive under the canal
Not True. Here's one at Epcot in Florida
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3692487,-81.554006,199m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

He's referring to the Erie Canal. It is the only undercrossing accessible by road vehicle, but there is an aqueduct not too far west of the tunnel and there may be other tunnels/crossings not accessible by car.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Mr. Matté

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2015, 04:08:57 PM

Does that bridge have one of those flashing signs that light up if sensors detect an overheight vehicle (it looks like there is one)? If true, all the more reason the keyboardist shouldn't be driving the band RV.

1995hoo

It does, and a bell normally rings too, but for some reason neither went off yesterday.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

For lack of a better place to put this...

A truck hit an SEPTA Regional Rail overpass this morning around 1am.  The overpass itself reopened about 4:45am; the road underneath reopened about 8am.

What made this unusual: The truck hitting it was estimated at traveling at a high speed.  The driver then drove the cab another 3 MILES, before what sounds like his cab finally was engulfed in fire!

http://6abc.com/traffic/tractor-trailer-hits-radnor-township-overpass/2655732/

kkt

DUI?  After the collision, certain he would lose his job and commercial license and suicidal?

JasonOfORoads

There's a 7 foot 3 inch railway bridge on Lovelake Rd. near Junction City, Oregon.

GSV of the sign and bridge

GSV closeup of the bridge
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

roadman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 12, 2013, 04:50:28 PM
Quote from: hm insulators on June 11, 2013, 05:04:06 PM
I can see where someone driving a Ryder truck for the first time and who doesn't realize just how big the vehicle is can crash into the bridge, but many of these trucks are driven by alleged "professionals."

Wonder if Ryder's CDW covers this sort of damage?
If you rent from agencies in the immediate Boston area, they specifically inform you that the CDW will NOT cover any damage incurred while traveling on Storrow or Memorial Drives, or Soldier's Field Road - all DCR 'parkways' that have notoriously low clearances and  signing that's inadequately designed (such as saying "Danger Low Clearance" without stating the clearance) and poorly placed (i.e. giving the warnings AFTER the trucker has committed to entering the road).

Latest victim of "Storrowing", as the locals call it when an overpass claims a too-tall truck, was a rental truck carrying Amazon packages.  Don't know what's worse here.  The fact the driver didn't realize his truck was too tall for the bridge before they struck it, or the fact that Amazon is hiring "Fred's Trucking" to deliver their packages.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on November 16, 2017, 12:34:52 PM
I can see where someone driving a Ryder truck for the first time and who doesn't realize just how big the vehicle is can crash into the bridge, but many of these trucks are driven by alleged "professionals."

If you rent from agencies in the immediate Boston area, they specifically inform you that the CDW will NOT cover any damage incurred while traveling on Storrow or Memorial Drives, or Soldier's Field Road - all DCR 'parkways' that have notoriously low clearances and  signing that's inadequately designed (such as saying "Danger Low Clearance" without stating the clearance) and poorly placed (i.e. giving the warnings AFTER the trucker has committed to entering the road).

Latest victim of "Storrowing", as the locals call it when an overpass claims a too-tall truck, was a rental truck carrying Amazon packages.  Don't know what's worse here.  The fact the driver didn't realize his truck was too tall for the bridge before they struck it, or the fact that Amazon is hiring "Fred's Trucking" to deliver their packages.

The worst thing will be all those people complaining they paid the $99 prime membership, and in order to get to it they have to climb the girders underneath an overpass where their package got stuck at!

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sparker

Quote from: roadman on November 16, 2017, 12:34:52 PM

Well, since Amazon's been putting out the notion of using drones for delivery (I sure wouldn't trust a drone to handle something like a $1500 Oppo disc player!), it's possible that independent contract drivers are a temporary fix.  But I suppose they don't realize that there are a bunch of ex-DHL folks out there looking for driving work who would appreciate a steady job! 

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on August 30, 2011, 08:41:04 PM
By the way, the center part of the Jacksonville underpass carried trolleys back in the day.

http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Low%20Clearances.html may be useful, but incomplete and outdated (the one it lists in Jacksonville was under the old Fuller Warren Bridge).

McCoys Creek Boulevard looks to have a low underpass, but I can't find any signs for it.
The Palm Ave underpass under i95 was removed with building of new Fuller Warren bridge around 2000

Z981

CNGL-Leudimin

Introducing a 1.8 m (5' 11") underpass in Rouen, France. It's so low Google couldn't pass through it, and has also ruined the holidays to several Dutch vacationers (the first two are from the same crash):

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 18, 2017, 02:23:12 PM
Introducing a 1.8 m (5' 11") underpass in Rouen, France. It's so low Google couldn't pass through it, and has also ruined the holidays to several Dutch vacationers (the first two are from the same crash)

You win.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

briantroutman

^ A couple of years ago, I took a driving tour across western Europe in a Fiat 500L that I had rented in London. If you've never seen a 500L, it's roughly the size and shape of a Mini Countryman.

Anyway, I recall–in Brussels especially–encountering some parking garages where clearances were as low or lower than the Rouen overpass. I remember proceeding with extreme caution and getting out a few times to see whether I was ever in danger of getting wedged. The rooftop aerial was scrapping against the garages' concrete ceilings almost continuously, so its value as a "kerb feeler"  was negligible.

So I would consider the overpass above to be a similar "city"  fixture for city-appropriate passenger cars.

ColossalBlocks

Main Street/Gabouri creek trestle in Ste Genevieve, Missouri sheared the tops off of several different trucks, and once took off the top of a sleeper on a semi truck.

Then there's this thing on F Street in Poplar Bluff.

This one's in Chester, IL. Not as low as some other bridges here, but still quite low.

This one's also in Chester, it's too low to fit your standard box van under.

This one is over Route E north of Potosi, MO. The line it's on was a spur to a lead mine in Pea Ridge. It's used to store railcars now.

This one's in De Soto, IL. It's an old timber stringer trestle, with a bent in the center of the road.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

kphoger

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on December 08, 2017, 10:42:36 PM

The railroad just north of Akin (IL) is marked at 13'3".  GSV here

I used to drive a box truck around southern Illinois for a living, and I would always be nervous driving under these low clearance bridges.  At one location (north of Belle Rive, I think) I once even stopped the truck on a single-lane county road and climbed up on the hood to make sure I could clear the bridge.
Male pronouns, please.

7/8

Here's one on N Huron Ave under I-75 (the Mackinac Bridge) in Mackinaw City, MI:

Brandon

Not as low as some, being as it is 12 ft 0 in, but this one on Brandon Road, south (east) of the Des Plaines River catches a lot of trucks due to the intermodal yards south of here.  https://goo.gl/maps/3frLBY8KRmq
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.