News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2018, 02:33:14 AM
Here's an up-close look at a post-mounted traffic signal in Coquitlam, BC. Note the standard practice in BC of mounting the secondary (side) signals in-line with the pedestrian heads:

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 16, 2018, 02:44:37 AM
Looks like an American LED for the upper section as well?

Could be! I don't know jack shit about the signals themselves. For me, it's all about the placement. This sort of setup (with the signals and ped-heads inline with each other) is rare (if not non-existent) in the US, so I thought I'd share a photo.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 16, 2018, 03:27:51 PM
I've seen Hackensack, NJ do it before on some of their older installs:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4591/24492462227_d3a35d459d_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4690/27579906419_76707a551c_b.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8785797,-74.0474004,3a,42.3y,163.12h,89.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s51A5RWU6JOQT5FmtiEaR8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Philadelphia, PA also liked to do this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.949195,-75.1505149,3a,15y,329.59h,93.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJ692nINM4DK_qn-D9aNE2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Well, I'll be damned! I did not know of any installations like this in the US. I don't know how often post-mounted signals are used in NJ these days (nor PA), but any idea if this is still common practice?

Here's an overview of the intersection of the signal I posted above. It was recently converted from a ped-controlled (flashing green) intersection to a four-way permissive signal. I could be perceiving it incorrectly, but the overhead signals seem smaller than the one's mounted on posts? They don't seem small enough to be 8-inch signals, but for some reason, no matter how long I look at the photo, I can't convince myself that they're 12 inch signals either...

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2018, 04:42:53 PM
I could be perceiving it incorrectly, but the overhead signals seem smaller than the one's mounted on posts? They don't seem small enough to be 8-inch signals, but for some reason, no matter how long I look at the photo, I can't convince myself that they're 12 inch signals either...

I think they're the same size, and the overhead ones just look smaller for two reasons:
1-the overheads are farther away from the camera
2-the overheads have those huge yellow backplates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2018, 04:42:53 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 16, 2018, 03:27:51 PM
I've seen Hackensack, NJ do it before on some of their older installs:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4591/24492462227_d3a35d459d_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4690/27579906419_76707a551c_b.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8785797,-74.0474004,3a,42.3y,163.12h,89.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s51A5RWU6JOQT5FmtiEaR8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Philadelphia, PA also liked to do this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.949195,-75.1505149,3a,15y,329.59h,93.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJ692nINM4DK_qn-D9aNE2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Well, I'll be damned! I did not know of any installations like this in the US. I don't know how often post-mounted signals are used in NJ these days (nor PA), but any idea if this is still common practice?

It's still relatively common in NJ. Mostly due to how close the signal poles are to the intersection curbs, the posts are conveniently placed should additional signals be warranted.

jakeroot

This is kind of an odd setup for my area.

This left turn in Canyon Park (a neighborhood of Bothell, WA) operates with a flashing yellow arrow (installed 2016). There are two signal heads. One near-side overhead (sort of like Maryland, but more visible here), and one on a pole on the far left side (technically not a mast arm). Far left turn signals are becoming more common in my area, but in this scenario, it was necessary due to the near-side signal being nearly impossible to see anywhere past the stop line. That almost makes the far left pole-mounted signal the primary signal head, since it's the only one that can be seen throughout the maneuver (you could argue that traditionally-placed overhead signals are visible throughout the maneuver)

MNHighwayMan

That seems like a lazy and inappropriate setup. Unless the turn lane is like a quarter mile long, I don't think signal heads straight above the end of the left-turn lane are appropriate.

busman_49

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 06, 2018, 03:17:17 PM
How are these signals undocumented!?!?

It also depends on someone's level of interest.  Would I document a whole intersection of Eagle flatbacks?  Probably not.  Why?  They just don't strike my fancy.  As for the others you mentioned:

Crouse-Hinds Type M: If I saw a 12" still hanging around, I might stop if I had time.  Those are neat.  I've driven under scores of 8"ers in Columbus and now I wish I might have spent a little more time checking them out.
Crouse-Hinds Type R: To me, they're a dime a dozen.  I know they're technically PEEK signals now, but they all look about the same.
Econolite Bullseyes: These, if I were to see some, might be worth a stop depending on the neighborhood.
Marbelite: I drove under scores of these in Akron and got photos of very few.  Would I stop for some now?  Perhaps.  Depends on how big of a hurry I'm in.
Highway Signs & Signal Corporation: Can't say I've seen those.

Now, if I see a 4-way still in service, I would definitely stop for a photo or 17.  Art decos?  Same thing.  Kentron signals (my favorite signal brand) almost get me to stop every time, but I can think of one I better hurry up and get.  Otherwise, I have to be in some sort of a mood for signal photos.  The comment made about finding a place to park and the right lighting rings true for me.

US71

Something I found on Wikipedia this morning:
In 2011, the Arkansas State Historic Preservation Office nominated the state's last remaining pedestal mounted signal, located in Smackover, to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Photo by me May 16, 2017

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cl94

No idea if the three in New York are on the National Register. One of them has been reduced to flash mode. The one on NY 10 in Canajoharie is safe because the village maintains a couple blocks of NY 10 around it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hotdogPi

(The first photo gives context; the second photo is the signal itself.)

This traffic light on the slip ramp shouldn't even exist; there is no conflicting movement. Its cycle: green (~20s, variable), yellow (4s), red (2s), green right arrow (~20s, variable), yellow right arrow (4s), red (2s), repeat. Note that the only red in this cycle is the all-red phase. This is the end of one of the only 2-lane segments of road with over 30k AADT in the United States, and it would probably be less congested if this signal was configured properly.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jakeroot

I'm confused. Wouldn't the slip lane movement conflict with the oncoming left turn? I'd a rather it had a yield sign. If it were Illinois, it would be signalised for the purpose of protecting a crossing pedestrian. Not sure if that's the case here.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on February 25, 2018, 12:45:00 PM

This traffic light on the slip ramp shouldn't even exist; there is no conflicting movement. Its cycle: green (~20s, variable), yellow (4s), red (2s), green right arrow (~20s, variable), yellow right arrow (4s), red (2s), repeat. Note that the only red in this cycle is the all-red phase. This is the end of one of the only 2-lane segments of road with over 30k AADT in the United States, and it would probably be less congested if this signal was configured properly.

It should exist because of the pedestrian signal. But it could remain on green arrow until the ped phase is activated.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 25, 2018, 01:06:54 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 25, 2018, 12:45:00 PM
https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/streetview?size=600x300&location=42.8102,-71.1032&heading=340&pitch=0
https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/streetview?size=600x300&location=42.8103,-71.1033&heading=340&pitch=0

It should exist because of the pedestrian signal. But it could remain on green arrow until the ped phase is activated.

I think I'm getting it a bit more now.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't have a green arrow conflicting with any other signal. ie, a right turn green arrow with an oncoming yield signal (FYA or solid green orb). Right-on-red generally doesn't count since the signal doesn't technically conflict. In this case, I'm guessing the green orb is displayed when the through traffic has a green, and the green arrow displayed when the traffic from the right has a green.

traffic light guy

Has anyone ever seen doghouses older than these, when were the first doghouses installed, these are the oldest ones that I'm aware of. These are 12" flatbacks, in Lower Merion, PA. From what I know, these were installed at one point during the seventies

Eagle flatback doghouse traffic signal mounted on the side of the pole by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Old Eagle flatbacks on stainless steel monotubes by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Eagle flatbacks on stainless steel monotubes by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

freebrickproductions

I see you were able to get out there. Did your parents take you or did you take the SEPTA out that way?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 25, 2018, 07:20:04 PM
I see you were able to get out there. Did your parents take you or did you take the SEPTA out that way?

Eh, don't worry about it, I made arrangments, I learned my lesson

traffic light guy

Anyway, about the photos, have you ever seen any doghouses older than those, or am I a nut for thinking that those were the first doghouses ever.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 25, 2018, 09:06:17 PM

Anyway, about the photos, have you ever seen any doghouses older than those, or am I a nut for thinking that those were the first doghouses ever.
The 1970s seems to be about when they came about. Here's a Durasig doghouse that was here in Huntsville back in the mid to late 1970s:
http://digitalarchives.hmcpl.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p16458coll13/id/146/rec/3

However, I'm not sure if the Singer signal seen on the left is older or newer than the Durasigs, though if it's older, then that means that the remaining Singer doghouses here in Huntsville are probably from the early to mid 1970s.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 26, 2018, 03:09:10 AM
Quote from: traffic light guy on February 25, 2018, 09:06:17 PM

The 1970s seems to be about when they came about. Here's a Durasig doghouse that was here in Huntsville back in the mid to late 1970s:
http://digitalarchives.hmcpl.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p16458coll13/id/146/rec/3

However, I'm not sure if the Singer signal seen on the left is older or newer than the Durasigs, though if it's older, then that means that the remaining Singer doghouses here in Huntsville are probably from the early to mid 1970s.

Yup, you're not wrong, but my flatbacks win, they're a couple years older, they were installed in the early part of the 1970s.

traffic light guy

Look at this weird signal on the far left of the mast-arm, it's shaped like a T-bone steak. Not too many of these in the Philly/Delaware Valley side of PA, but very common in the out-state area.

More old Eagle flatbacks mounted on a stainless steel angled mast-arm by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

freebrickproductions

Huntsville loves those Upside-down T signals. In fact, they've replaced almost every inline-4 signal in the city with them. They're much less common in other parts of Alabama, though I have seen a few in the southern part of the state. New Jersey also has quite a few, IIRC.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Here's an 8-8-8 GE/Econolite left turn signal with a green arrow in West Vancouver, BC. These are quite common and are still installed. This one was pretty easy to access, otherwise I would have captured a newer one. They're basically only used in the median of the road.

US 89

That reminds me: here's an interesting 8" left turn arrow installation in Salt Lake City. Previously for traffic at the stop line, the only visible turning signal was a ground mounted arrow on the far left corner. I don't know of any other examples like this, except at ramp meters.

GSV

freebrickproductions

Quote from: roadguy2 on February 27, 2018, 06:59:19 PM
That reminds me: here's an interesting 8" left turn arrow installation in Salt Lake City. Previously for traffic at the stop line, the only visible turning signal was a ground mounted arrow on the far left corner. I don't know of any other examples like this, except at ramp meters.

GSV

Rare t see 8 inch arrows here in the US, especially LED ones!

SM-G900V

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.