News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfighter

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 11, 2009, 12:16:33 AM
Hopefully when I-22 gets designated, they'll dump those stupid Corridor X shields and go back to the normal US-78's... :|

that would be very nice!

froggie

QuoteI have more photos and I may post them as time permits.

Do you have photos that show more of the road and less of the signs?

Alps

Quote from: jdb1234 on December 10, 2009, 06:34:21 PM
Update:

Corridor X opened from Cherry Ave to Coalburg Rd yesterday.  I drove it earlier today and will post pictures later.

Thanks!  Here I was planning my trip to start at Cherry Ave. - much appreciated.

njroadhorse

It's probably been asked and answered before, but is there any timetable on the 269-22 connection?
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

jdb1234

Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2009, 06:40:05 AM
QuoteI have more photos and I may post them as time permits.

Do you have photos that show more of the road and less of the signs?

Here you go:
Corridor X Eastern end.

I took a few others and will try to post some as time allows.

jdb1234

sglaughlin

Here is an article from today's (2/21/2010) Birmingham News:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/02/next_step_toward_i-22_up_in_th.html

Not sure I agree with the state highway officials logic on not using federal stimulus funds, but as this is in Jefferson County, we will continue the tradition of being the last to have our Interstates completed. :confused:

jdb1234

Quote from: sglaughlin on February 21, 2010, 10:15:32 PM

Not sure I agree with the state highway officials logic on not using federal stimulus funds, but as this is in Jefferson County, we will continue the tradition of being the last to have our Interstates completed. :confused:

Yeah, I recall I-65 being completed in Jefferson County in the late '80s and I-20 in the mid '80s, not to mention the Red Mountain Expressway also in the same time period.

By the way, sglaughlin, welcome to the forum.  I live in the Birmingham area myself.

codyg1985

Quote from: sglaughlin on February 21, 2010, 10:15:32 PM

From the article, it sounded like ALDOT officials were worried that if stimulus funds were used on a project that qualified for Appalacian Development money then they would lose APD funding for the rest of that roadway. The big link in this project is the interchange itself, but I think there still needs to be a contract let to pave I-22 up to the interchange.

It will be so nice to see this interchange built finally. Then again, so will getting I-65 widened south of Birmingham.  I think the I-22/I-65 construction would be worthy of a roat meet once construction has begun.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

agentsteel53

Hopefully when I-22 gets designated, they'll dump those stupid Corridor X shields and go back to the normal US-78's... :|

I'm kinda hoping they just finally sign 22, and move US-78 back to the old alignment.  The fewer Miss state route 178 circle shields in existence, the better.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

codyg1985

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 24, 2010, 02:07:37 PM

I'm kinda hoping they just finally sign 22, and move US-78 back to the old alignment.  The fewer Miss state route 178 circle shields in existence, the better.

It will be very interesting to see how US 78 is treated in MS once I-22 is signed. The old alignment was destroyed in some places (Tenn-Tom Waterway at Fulton, MS is one of those areas).  At least in Alabama the previous alignment, with the exception of west of Hamilton, is intact.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

Quote from: Hellfighter on December 11, 2009, 12:24:32 AM

that would be very nice!

Well, you could have a sign that looks like this:

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on February 24, 2010, 07:04:33 PM
Quote from: Hellfighter on December 11, 2009, 12:24:32 AM

that would be very nice!

Well, you could have a sign that looks like this:

*Shudders*

Please tell me that was photoshopped. Was that sign recently installed? I don't remember seeing that one before.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 24, 2010, 10:13:51 PM

*Shudders*

Please tell me that was photoshopped. Was that sign recently installed? I don't remember seeing that one before.

Sadly, no this is not photoshopped, it is a real sign.  It is on US 78 where it approaches Corridor X near Graysville.  There is also another one on southbound AL 5 approaching the same interchange.  I believe both are fairly recent, maybe a few years old.

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on February 24, 2010, 11:05:04 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 24, 2010, 10:13:51 PM

*Shudders*

Sadly, no this is not photoshopped, it is a real sign.  It is on US 78 where it approaches Corridor X near Graysville.  There is also another one on southbound AL 5 approaching the same interchange.  I believe both are fairly recent, maybe a few years old.

It would make more sense, and look much better, if ALDOT placed some sort of shield that labeled the route at Corridor X beside the US 78 shield on the BGS. Even putting the blue Corridor X US 78 shield there would look better than that monstrosity.

On the other hand, it almost looks like there is enough room to slap on an I-22 shield to the left of the US 78 shield when I-22 is officially signed.
Cody Goodman

froggie

I was last through that area in November 2007, so these signs have been put up since then.

Chris

Do they drive with binoculars in Alabama? Who can read those small texts whilst driving a car?

Scott5114

Considering they're not really necessary to read, I suppose it doesn't matter :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

But the guide-sign design principle of rejectability implies that the legend blocks in question should be at a much larger size or not on the sign at all in the first place, so that drivers can see clearly and immediately that they are irrelevant rather than distracting themselves trying to figure out what they say.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Hellfighter

They should just put the I-22 shields up and be done with it!  :-D

Bryant5493

I've plans of going to Tunica on May 1, tentatively. So, I'll get some footage of U.S. 78 and Future I-22 west of Birmingham then.

Be Well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Bryant5493

I've a few quick questions about Corridor X. Is it all of Future I-22/U.S. 78? Or is the portion of Future I-22/U.S. 78 from Tennessee to the Mississippi-Alabama state line? Or the portion of Future I-22/U.S. 78 from the Mississippi-Alabama state line to its current terminus west of Birmingham?

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

jdb1234

Quote from: Bryant5493 on March 11, 2010, 11:30:48 AM
I've a few quick questions about Corridor X. Is it all of Future I-22/U.S. 78? Or is the portion of Future I-22/U.S. 78 from Tennessee to the Mississippi-Alabama state line? Or the portion of Future I-22/U.S. 78 from the Mississippi-Alabama state line to its current terminus west of Birmingham?

Having driven it many time it is US 78 from the Mississippi-Alabama state line to Exit 85.  However, the portion between Exit 85 and Exit 93 is open to "local traffic" (like I would obey that).  This is also signed as US 78 with the blue shields, but not a part of US 78 right now.

mightyace

Quote from: jdb1234 on March 11, 2010, 01:54:45 PM
However, the portion between Exit 85 and Exit 93 is open to "local traffic" (like I would obey that).

If they're using it like they are on the stubs of TN 840 between I-40 and I-65, it is simply an advisory that the road is not a through route.  AFAIK There is no legal requirement that you be "local traffic."
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

froggie

Bryant:  the western terminus of Corridor X is where it meets Corridor V near Fulton, MS (MS 25 North/Exit 108).  By the book, the 22 miles of 78 between that location and US 45 (Exit 86) are part of Corridor V.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.