AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Louisiana  (Read 308434 times)

jbnv

• Visionary

• Last Login: June 18, 2018, 08:51:27 PM
    • Personal Site
Re: Louisiana
« Reply #1100 on: April 25, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »

DOTD has been shrinking signs for the last 5 years. Distance signs on 2-lane roads are in print so small they are hard to read at 55 mph.

Someone should make a font for highway signs that is specifically designed to be legible at long distances and high speeds...  :rolleyes:
Keep Clearview, lose the government bureaucracies and the politicians who enable them.
US Redo | Louisiana Redo | Route Challenge | Photos

rel4

• Last Login: June 18, 2018, 12:22:20 AM
« Reply #1101 on: May 09, 2018, 10:59:29 PM »

I noticed an overhead cantilever sign on I-10 EB at LA 49/Williams in Kenner has been taken down and replaced with a smaller sign on the pole. That cantilever sign appeared to be leaning prior to its removal. If I had to guess, all of the overhead signs that were taken down were due to structural issues that could not wait for a sign replacement project. The size of the replacement signs may have been based on the pole's load capacity, which does not appear to be sufficient for a interstate standard sign.

I've noticed this year, particularly in the New Orleans area, that there are at least 3 spots where overhead pantries and pull through signs have come down (or were never finished being installed) and been replaced with the GDOT style side post mounted guide sign. The difference however, is that the LaDOTD signage is scaled down significantly compared the original signage and is hard to read until you're up close. These have replaced pull throughs at the split from the 310 northbound to the I-10, and on the I-10 eastbound approaching Loyola Dr. There are some in each direction of the Twin Span as well where the trusses were never installed into the supports to complete the gantries. I recall seeing this in Baton Rouge as well, but I don't remember where?

Anybody know what the deal is?

jbnv

• Visionary

• Last Login: June 18, 2018, 08:51:27 PM
    • Personal Site
« Reply #1102 on: May 10, 2018, 11:56:53 AM »

I noticed an overhead cantilever sign on I-10 EB at LA 49/Williams in Kenner has been taken down and replaced with a smaller sign on the pole. That cantilever sign appeared to be leaning prior to its removal. If I had to guess, all of the overhead signs that were taken down were due to structural issues that could not wait for a sign replacement project. The size of the replacement signs may have been based on the pole's load capacity, which does not appear to be sufficient for a interstate standard sign.

That would make sense. They could be operating on a queue of gantry replacement projects. They just finished replacing the gantries at I-12/I-55.
Keep Clearview, lose the government bureaucracies and the politicians who enable them.
US Redo | Louisiana Redo | Route Challenge | Photos

brownpelican

• Last Login: June 16, 2018, 03:38:10 PM
« Reply #1103 on: June 15, 2018, 11:35:36 PM »

Test pilings for the upcoming shoulder project on the Causeway Bridge will start in mid-July. Actual construction is to start in the fall.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:38:06 PM by brownpelican »

brownpelican

• Last Login: June 16, 2018, 03:38:10 PM
« Reply #1104 on: June 16, 2018, 03:36:57 PM »

Found a nice video of the construction of the Atchafalaya Swamp Bridge by the then-Louisiana Department of Highways.

Revive 755

• Last Login: June 18, 2018, 08:45:31 PM
« Reply #1105 on: June 16, 2018, 10:42:23 PM »

Test pilings for the upcoming shoulder project on the Causeway Bridge will start in mid-July. Actual construction is to start in the fall.

I take it Louisiana doesn't keep records of pile driving data from previous projects?

froggie

• Last Login: June 19, 2018, 12:43:23 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #1106 on: June 17, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »

They may.  But also consider it's been several decades since those existing pilings were made and the lake bottom may well have changed some.  Undercurrents certainly would have been affected by the pilings for the existing bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.