News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msunat97

I've never heard what happens if the bonds aren't paid off in 10 years...do our taxes stay raised (likely) or does the state eat the cost (unlikely)?

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on November 08, 2012, 09:21:16 AM
I've never heard what happens if the bonds aren't paid off in 10 years...do our taxes stay raised (likely) or does the state eat the cost (unlikely)?

Bonds are being paid for by a 1/2 cent sales tax (but not on groceries, fuel, or medicine). When the bonds are paid off, the sales tax is supposed to expire.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

msunat97

Quick road update from my holiday travels...

Hwy 82 East of Lake Village is progressing.  There is one bridge that is being widened.  That is the last thing to be done before 82 is four laned from the new Greenville river bridge to Lake Village.

There is a long section of I-530 southbound under total replacement in North Jefferson county.  It'll probably be mid 2013 before that's reopened.

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on November 23, 2012, 09:14:02 AM

There is a long section of I-530 southbound under total replacement in North Jefferson county.  It'll probably be mid 2013 before that's reopened.

I've not been able to find much on AHTD's website, but it appears all of 530 is due for work at some point in the future.

cjk374

Back in 1997-98, I worked for T.L. James Construction when they were working on I-530 between US 79 and US 63 (then known as AR 15).  They also built the "Althiemer Road" (US 63/79 that runs from The Pines Mall over the lock & dam to Althiemer) & widened US 65 from US 425 south to Moscow.  One of the highway inspectors I worked with told me that when they built the 4-lane US 65 between Little Rock & Pine Bluff, the contractors were having terrible weather while trying to do the dirt work.  They were in such a hurry to get the highway built, the contractors were, literally, dragging the concrete pavers with bulldozers over the muddy roadbed!   :pan:  I'm glad AHTD is FINALLY correcting this problem after 50 (?) years. I just hope they repave the whole stretch with concrete.  I also wish they would build a north bound ramp for exit 10 to give people a chance to get on US 167 south to El Dorado.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on November 07, 2012, 10:55:58 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on November 07, 2012, 07:13:16 AM
Arkansas ballot Issue No. 1 has been approved by voters.
With 63-percent of the vote counted, the measure was passing 58-percent to 42-percent.
I really hope AHTD spends the money on the projects they have promised and not waste it on pet projects.

AHTD recently solicited a REQUEST FOR LETTERS OF INTEREST for firms to serve as Project Managers for the sales tax program:

Notice is hereby given that the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) is seeking letters of interest from qualified consulting firms capable of functioning as Program Managers (PMs) for the One-Half Cent State Sales Tax Program (Program) .... A list of the highway improvements to be constructed can be found at www.arkansashighways.com. It is anticipated that most of these improvements will be under contract within 5 years.

It sounds like they really do intend to stick to the projects on the list.

AHTD also made a similar request for financial advisors to advise AHTD on the program.

msunat97

I'm ready for some of this work to get moving a little faster.  The 6 lane I-40 expansion between Conway & Little Rock is all in Faulkner county.  I'd like to see something happen around the 40/430 interchange & start working towards Conway.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 02, 2012, 12:26:38 AM
AHTD recently solicited a REQUEST FOR LETTERS OF INTEREST for firms to serve as Project Managers for the sales tax program .... AHTD also made a similar request for financial advisors to advise AHTD on the program.
Quote from: Gordon on April 30, 2013, 10:19:23 PM
Back in Jan. 31 the Highway commissioners voted to accept  the staff's members to enter into negotiations with Garver LLC in North Little Rock to serve as the program manager for the 1/2 cent sales tax program. Also to use Stephen's Inc. in Little Rock to serve as the Financial advisor and bond Company for this project.
(bottom quote from I-49 in AR (Bella Vista, Fort Smith) thread)

This article reports that, instead of Garver, Atkins, in partnership with Brown & Gay Engineers and Fugro Consultants, has been selected to provide on-call construction services for AHTD:

In Arkansas, Atkins, in partnership with Brown & Gay Engineers and Fugro Consultants, has been selected to provide on-call construction services for the Arkansas State Highway & Transportation Department (AHTD).
Under the terms of the contract, Atkins will provide AHTD with a complete range of construction management and inspection services. The contract specifically calls for Atkins to support a new programme that will use a temporary sales tax to fund a US$1.8bn, ten-year project to build and improve four-lane highways throughout the state.
Atkins practice manager Chris Campbell said: "This partnership gives Atkins a new level of presence in a region of the country that is anticipating much growth. Arkansas is making extensive highway improvements through 2018 and beyond, and we are gratified to be able to take part in the state's transportation progress."

Now the wait begins to see which project will be first .....

edit

Quote from: Grzrd on June 20, 2013, 12:30:06 PM
AHTD has released the 2013 Arkansas Highway map
(above quote from Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur) thread)

AHTD also provides a a list of changes from the 2012 map (pages 2-4/5 of pdf).

Gordon

Another good article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette about 3 billion for state roads in the interstate repair program and the the 1/2 cent sale tax for road improvements. Scott Bennett expected that bond sales for the that program to have bond sales in September, with the first 2 projects to let before the the end of the year. Then another the 1st part of 2014. the program will ramp up in late 2015. Also in 2015 the legislative session will get a serious look for more money on roads. I hope in the the first 3 jobs are to finish the 2 lane Bella Villa bypass. Still the AHTD has not shown a list of the jobs and sequence.

Grzrd

Quote from: Gordon on July 19, 2013, 09:50:02 PM
I hope in the the first 3 jobs are to finish the 2 lane Bella Villa bypass. Still the AHTD has not shown a list of the jobs and sequence.

AHTD has posted a PowerPoint presentation from the July 24, 2013 AHTD Commission Business Meeting and the entire CAP Program Schedule can be found on page 43/61 of the pdf.  As O Tamandua has previously posted in another thread, the first three projects are related to the Bella Vista Bypass.

Grzrd

Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 26, 2013, 11:40:03 AM
"It is also suggested that AHTD and MDOT coordinate with FHWA to designate I-69 (including the Mississippi River Bridge) as a Project of National and Regional Significance:"
Be interesting if they will then apply for TIGER IV (TIGER 2013) funding.
(above quote from I-69 Mississippi River Bridge thread)
Quote from: Gordon on August 04, 2013, 11:07:14 AM
FY 2013 TIGER Grants
DOT is authorized to award $473.847 million in TIGER Discretionary Grants ...
It looks to me that the Bella Vista Bypass would qualify for the other 2 lanes from Tiger 2013. I wonder if the AHTD put in an application.
(above quote from I-49 in AR (Bella Vista, Fort Smith) thread)

AHTD recently emailed me a pdf summarizing AHTD TIGER Grant Requests and Grants Received over the years.  For 2013 TIGER V, AHTD has requested grants for utility relocation and work on Highway 92. AHTD neither applied for another BVB grant nor, as lead agency, applied for any type of Great River Bridge grant:

Road Hog

Interesting that AHTD has thrown in the towel and is calling it Future I-49 in documentation now.

roadman65

Two signs along AR 549 near Texarkana that are now officially historic.  I imagine that the AR 249 NB shield has been replaced with a new AR 549 shield and the AR 245 shield is now a SB AR 151 shield since the next phase of the future I-49 is completed
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on August 18, 2013, 12:31:27 AM

Two signs along AR 549 near Texarkana that are now officially historic.  I imagine that the AR 249 NB shield has been replaced with a new AR 549 shield and the AR 245 shield is now a SB AR 151 shield since the next phase of the future I-49 is completed

Not quite:

bugo

AHTD fucks up again.  They're giving the OTA a run for their money.

Gordon

Today on the Araknsas gov. Transparency site it showed that on the AR. 4 lane Highway sales/use tax that it accumulated $20,699,963.58. So the 1/2 cent tax is moving along for 1st jobs to bid. Along the bond money that will be purchased in September they can start road jobs.

msunat97

Grzrd

AHTD has posted its October 10 presentation to the Conway Area Chamber of Commerce.  Included in the presentation are updates on the I-40 Conway South interchange, the Conway Western Loop, and the US 64 Vilonia Bypass.

msunat97

UptownRoadGeek

Was there not anything other than Houston suitable enough to be used as a control city in Texarkana. It's almost like Memphis, TN being used as a control city in Chicago.

Road Hog

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on November 04, 2013, 02:59:37 PM
Was there not anything other than Houston suitable enough to be used as a control city in Texarkana. It's almost like Memphis, TN being used as a control city in Chicago.

There ain't much out there in East Texas.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on November 05, 2013, 12:14:48 AM
Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on November 04, 2013, 02:59:37 PM

There ain't much out there in East Texas.

Marshall, Carthage, Jefferson, Nacogdoches...that's about it.

bugo

US71

Quote from: bugo on November 05, 2013, 01:57:39 PM
Tyler?

But US 59 doesn't go through Tyler, though...271 and 69 do ;)

NE2

But US 59 is the route to take to get to Tyler. Anal control cities are anal.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.