News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captkirk_4

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 17, 2024, 09:24:19 AMA trip down the length of Illinois last week gave me a chance to see three major projects of interest.

Next up was the interchange reconstruction in Champaign between I-57 and I-74.  The two new flyovers had most of their beams in place, if I recall.  I think I even noticed some deck pouring on one of them.

Nope, they only have the beams laid for one of the flyovers. No repositioning of the cranes at all over the last month or so since they finished laying the WB74-SB57 beams to work on the other one nor do I see any work on the top of the columns to add the beam attachments that they put in first. They whole project is not going very fast, they still have to finish the new main 74 lanes over 57 and I saw a cement tube recently so perhaps the first half of the bridges are getting done soon. But I don't see any pavement on the flyover beams yet.

paulthemapguy

I was thinking that the 57/74 interchange would be done by late 2024, but even the project website now says the project will continue into 2026.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

captkirk_4

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 13, 2024, 10:31:33 AMI was thinking that the 57/74 interchange would be done by late 2024, but even the project website now says the project will continue into 2026.

That highway work in Effingham seemed to be torn up for a decade and Kankakee seems to be always under construction. I remember going to that Eclipse in 2017 and last year when I drove the same stretch they had only been able to six lane another 10 miles or so. No rush to get anything done anymore.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: captkirk_4 on May 14, 2024, 09:10:45 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 13, 2024, 10:31:33 AMI was thinking that the 57/74 interchange would be done by late 2024, but even the project website now says the project will continue into 2026.

That highway work in Effingham seemed to be torn up for a decade and Kankakee seems to be always under construction. I remember going to that Eclipse in 2017 and last year when I drove the same stretch they had only been able to six lane another 10 miles or so. No rush to get anything done anymore.

The only piece they were planning to widen was the six-mile section concurrent with I-70.  No other piece of I-57 in central Illinois needs to be six-laned.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

hobsini2

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 14, 2024, 09:42:14 AM

The only piece they were planning to widen was the six-mile section concurrent with I-70.  No other piece of I-57 in central Illinois needs to be six-laned.
I-57 should be 6 (or 8 where indicated) lanes as follows in my opinion:
I-24 Pulley's Mill to I-64 WEST Mt Vernon (the concurrency with I-64 is 6 lanes)
I-70 WEST Effingham to I-70 EAST Effingham (existing 6 lanes)
Monticello Rd Savoy to US 136 Rantoul
US 45/52 Kankakee to Bourbonnais Pkwy Bourbonnais
Stuenkel Rd/University Pkwy Richton Park to I-80
I-80 to I-294 (existing 6 lanes needs to be 8 lanes)
I-294 to IL 1 Halsted St (existing 6 lanes)
IL 1 Halsted St to I-94 (existing 8 lanes)
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ilpt4u

57 6-lanes between 24 and 64 is in progress and is funded. It is only a few miles every few years, but the 51 mile trip will be done in the next 5ish years, 10 max

edwaleni

Illinois was functionally broke in 2017. All IDOT projects were on a slow path to completion.

A constitutional amendment and double the taxes, its a different story today.

Brandon

Quote from: edwaleni on May 15, 2024, 09:47:59 PM

Illinois was functionally broke in 2017. All IDOT projects were on a slow path to completion.

The constitutional amendment banned the General Assembly from using the gas tax money to fill other holes in their budget.  That money got put in a "lockbox" for IDOT only.  This is pretty much why IDOT has any money today.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on May 16, 2024, 06:32:25 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on May 15, 2024, 09:47:59 PM

The constitutional amendment banned the General Assembly from using the gas tax money to fill other holes in their budget.  That money got put in a "lockbox" for IDOT only.  This is pretty much why IDOT has any money today.
As it should be. IMO, gas taxes and tolls should only be for transportation (roads, rail & air) upkeep and construction.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.