News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Times of year when there is very little traffic

Started by hotdogPi, November 10, 2013, 05:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

For example, New Year's Eve, at about 9:00 PM.

Not sure if this is actually true, but I would guess during the Super Bowl.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex4897

👉😎👉

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SP Cook

Why would a greenie not love Katrina, and all natural disasters?   As these return things to their "natural" state and remove "scars" like buildings, especially schools and hospitals. 

After all, you have yours.  OTHERS must do without.  Which is what environmentalism, and all other forms of selfishness, are all about.  OTHERS not having for your benefit.

NE2

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: 1 on November 10, 2013, 05:05:23 PM

I would imagine the first one would be the exact opposite as people are heading out for NYE between 9:00 and 12:00. The 2nd is probably true everywhere except the city that's actually holding the Super Bowl.

What about Christmas and Thanksgiving?

hotdogPi

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on November 10, 2013, 08:58:06 PM
Quote from: 1 on November 10, 2013, 05:05:23 PM

I would imagine the first one would be the exact opposite as people are heading out for NYE between 9:00 and 12:00. The 2nd is probably true everywhere except the city that's actually holding the Super Bowl.

There is very little traffic. However, after midnight, there are LOTS of drunk drivers.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: 1 on November 10, 2013, 09:03:01 PM
There is very little traffic. However, after midnight, there are LOTS of drunk drivers.

Not in my city.
Traffic is a b**** until a little after midnight. Then starts up again between 3:00 and 4:00 in the am as people start going home.

sammi

When propane plants explode. (That's the 401.)

sammi

Also, in the Manila area, during Holy Week (Maundy Thursday − Palm Sunday), when a lot of people go to the provinces to spend time with family.

This is what EDSA looks like during the trip home for Holy Week:

This is what it looks like during Holy Week itself:

Alex4897

👉😎👉

jp the roadgeek

Christmas Eve after 7 pm, New Year's Eve between 11:30 and 1:00.   During the epic blizzard in these parts last February.  4th of July just after sunset.  Any non-holiday weekend Sunday night between 11 PM and 5 AM.  Sunday mornings between 4 and 7. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Big John

Streets are empty in Green Bay during a Packer game.

jeffandnicole

There is actually a LOT of traffic on the holidays themselves.  People are often traveling to their destinations for parties/gatherings and such.  The NJ Turnpike for example will have long delays, especially in the area that is getting widened.  Used to be long delays at Interchange 1 until the plaza was rebuilt.  And along I-95 in Delaware & Maryland, you can go quite a distance without getting up to the speed limit.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 10, 2013, 11:31:08 PM
Any non-holiday weekend Sunday night between 11 PM and 5 AM.  Sunday mornings between 4 and 7. 

While it may differ based on where you are located: In general, weeknights between 11pm and 4am to 5am are very light.  On holiday weekends, traffic seems to remain heavy till about 1am, and it will quiet down until about 6am. 

Along the Jersey Shore, it used to be so dead from October - April the traffic lights were turned off.  While still somewhat true along LBI, most shore towns now keep their traffic lights in operation year-round.

formulanone

Quote from: SP Cook on November 10, 2013, 05:35:02 PM
Why would a greenie not love Katrina, and all natural disasters?   As these return things to their "natural" state and remove "scars" like buildings, especially schools and hospitals. 

After all, you have yours.  OTHERS must do without.  Which is what environmentalism, and all other forms of selfishness, are all about.  OTHERS not having for your benefit.

Quote from: NE2 on November 10, 2013, 05:41:46 PM
bahaha

Get a room, you two...we have a hotel thread.

The roads are quiet in most Southern towns on a Sunday morning.

realjd

Summer in much of Florida. The old folks head north and the roads get much more pleasant. This is especially apparent in snowbird heavy parts of Florida like Fort Myers and is not seen as much in Orlando where the traffic is tourists and not snowbirds.

1995hoo

The entire week between Christmas and New Year's is a week of minimal traffic here in the DC area. This year the lighter traffic will probably begin December 23 since Christmas is a Wednesday. Lots of people take the whole week off and it's possible to hit 75 mph or more on roads where you're normally doing 20 mph during rush hour.

The DC area is also probably a bit unique nationally in that traffic today (Veterans Day) is extremely light since the US government is closed for the holiday. It really makes you realize just how much of the local workforce is employed by the government, given that most of the private sector does not observe today as a holiday (many businesses observe the day after Thanksgiving instead, which I think is a trade most people are quite happy to make!). My wife drove to work today instead of taking the subway; she left here at 8:10 and she says she clocked in at the office at 8:38.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hm insulators

Quote from: realjd on November 11, 2013, 09:01:32 AM
Summer in much of Florida. The old folks head north and the roads get much more pleasant. This is especially apparent in snowbird heavy parts of Florida like Fort Myers and is not seen as much in Orlando where the traffic is tourists and not snowbirds.

A similar situation in Phoenix. It's November, and right now, all the snowbirds are returning for the winter. During the summer when they are gone, there will be a lot less traffic on the roads.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

realjd

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 11, 2013, 09:37:41 AM
The entire week between Christmas and New Year's is a week of minimal traffic here in the DC area. This year the lighter traffic will probably begin December 23 since Christmas is a Wednesday. Lots of people take the whole week off and it's possible to hit 75 mph or more on roads where you're normally doing 20 mph during rush hour.

The DC area is also probably a bit unique nationally in that traffic today (Veterans Day) is extremely light since the US government is closed for the holiday. It really makes you realize just how much of the local workforce is employed by the government, given that most of the private sector does not observe today as a holiday (many businesses observe the day after Thanksgiving instead, which I think is a trade most people are quite happy to make!). My wife drove to work today instead of taking the subway; she left here at 8:10 and she says she clocked in at the office at 8:38.

Was traffic affected by the shutdown last month?

1995hoo

Quote from: realjd on November 11, 2013, 09:01:25 PM
Was traffic affected by the shutdown last month?

I don't commute into the city, but I've heard traffic was still bad. I wonder whether more people drove with the government closed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Duke87

From recent experience: Lake George and other tourist spots in Adirondack Park on a weekend in November.

Likewise, the southern end of the Garden State Parkway in winter. I'm sure the same is true of Cape Cod but I haven't ever been there off season personally.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ET21

Day after Christmas, Sunday evenings from about 8pm till 4am Monday morning, New Years Day
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Road Hog

Quote from: formulanone on November 11, 2013, 06:43:15 AM
Quote from: SP Cook on November 10, 2013, 05:35:02 PM

Quote from: NE2 on November 10, 2013, 05:41:46 PM
bahaha

Get a room, you two...we have a hotel thread.

The roads are quiet in most Southern towns on a Sunday morning.

Until about 10:30, when people start headng for church.

PHLBOS

Quote from: sammi on November 10, 2013, 10:22:13 PM
When propane plants explode. (That's the 401.)
That pic eerily reminds me of an afternoon shot of the Southeast Expressway (I-93) in Boston the day after the Marathon bombings a FB friend of mine posted.  It was probably the first time since the Expressway's initial opening that there was so little traffic at that time of day.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.