News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Any meets on the drawing board?

Started by hbelkins, October 12, 2009, 12:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Quote from: PAHighways on October 20, 2009, 10:19:24 PM
That is how this past State College went since it was a nice, sunny day compared to the first meet in Happy Valley.

Meets in April can be touchy with the weather, just like meets in October can be touchy with the weather.  We've had some excellent weather for some meets (State College II, Hartford) and some rainy (State College I) or downright chilly weather (Albany II) for meets.

Dougtone

Also, I am looking at having a road meet next fall in Watertown, NY (regarding the construction of the Fort Drum Connector - future I-781).  Additionally, I may be able to come up with something for a 2nd Hartford meet, or that Springfield, MA meet that has been talked about but never implemented for years now.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: dougtone on October 21, 2009, 10:48:38 AM
Also, I am looking at having a road meet next fall in Watertown, NY (regarding the construction of the Fort Drum Connector - future I-781).  Additionally, I may be able to come up with something for a 2nd Hartford meet, or that Springfield, MA meet that has been talked about but never implemented for years now.

No New Haven? I mean, they are doing the new bridges and new interchanges, would really be good to check out
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Dougtone

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on October 21, 2009, 05:33:52 PM

No New Haven? I mean, they are doing the new bridges and new interchanges, would really be good to check out

I haven't thought of New Haven, but that can be a possibility as well.

Ian

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on October 21, 2009, 05:35:00 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on October 14, 2009, 10:45:06 PM
PennDotFan,

Why don't you put one together for Philly...after all you are closer to the area than Jeff is

PennDOTfan, as HB suggested, if you want my help, surely i can help you if you want. I know my way around Philly well enough and can give advice on how to work it.

Looking at PennDOT's site, there are some big projects under District 6 - which is the Philly area:

I-95 of course
The South Street Bridge Replacement
Improving the I-95/US 322 interchange (If we take this one, and I suggest highly, let's cross the Commodore Barry Bridge into NJ and visit the old ferry site on Route 324 (Route 322's former alignment)

Just a couple of ideas, trying to think of logical ones.

If I need your help (which I may possibly need later on), I'll shoot you a PM or email. I can't do it within these next few months since of how busy I will be. On all weekdays, I have school, then football till 5 and weekends, my parents are always busy (especially my mom, she is becoming a teacher).

Also, whats going on on I-95?

And, whats going on with the I-95/US 322 interchange? I realize its being redone, but whats going to happen with it?

I also have recent shots of the old US 322 by the Comm. Barry Bridge (secret NJ 324), but I definetely would like to go visit it again  :happy:

Thanks Adam!
I
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Ian

Quote from: dougtone on October 21, 2009, 06:11:21 PM

I haven't thought of New Haven, but that can be a possibility as well.

If you go to New Haven, be sure to check out the old 4-way traffic signals still in service downtown  :cool:
Youtube l Flickr

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 21, 2009, 07:00:54 PM
If I need your help (which I may possibly need later on), I'll shoot you a PM or email. I can't do it within these next few months since of how busy I will be. On all weekdays, I have school, then football till 5 and weekends, my parents are always busy (especially my mom, she is becoming a teacher).

And, whats going on with the I-95/US 322 interchange? I realize its being redone, but whats going to happen with it?

I also have recent shots of the old US 322 by the Comm. Barry Bridge (secret NJ 324), but I definetely would like to go visit it again  :happy:

Thanks Adam!
I

I can run it if you can't, but if you can come it would help, but let's see.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

New Haven would be mostly scouting out I-95/91, which probably looks best in 2011 as opposed to 2010.  You'd still have the CT 34 right of way there, and we'd take people along the Wilbur Cross for a bit (probably clinch CT 40 at some point).  I think the idea needs one more good stop, though, and I don't have it.

Ian

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on October 21, 2009, 07:06:23 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 21, 2009, 07:00:54 PM

Thanks Adam!
I

I can run it if you can't, but if you can come it would help, but let's see.

I would definetely come to the meet!
Youtube l Flickr

Roadgeek Adam

Let's see what happens in the next few months. Philly might be better for Spring, and the old PA 90 ramps are another thing a meet in Philly can have
Adam Seth Moss

PAHighways

That's basically when I was planning on having it since the weather is better and more daylight to work with on a tour.

Roadgeek Adam

Yeah, plus most of what I brought up involves old stuff that snow hides, so spring would be better
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

Quote from: PAHighways on October 22, 2009, 10:53:03 PM
That's basically when I was planning on having it since the weather is better and more daylight to work with on a tour.

Hopefully before all the motel rates go up for the season at the motels near the Delaware side of the Cape May-Lewes ferry. ;-)

I've already got my trip sketched out -- get Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's counties in Maryland, cross the Bay Bridge, get Kent and Caroline counties and then overnight somewhere near Lewes. Next day take the ferry, get Cape May, Cumberland and Ocean counties in New Jersey to clinch that state, then head on to Philly for the Saturday meet. Afterwards, hit Carroll County, Md. on the way home to clinch that state.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on October 23, 2009, 10:05:37 AM
I've already got my trip sketched out -- get Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's counties in Maryland, cross the Bay Bridge, get Kent and Caroline counties and then overnight somewhere near Lewes. Next day take the ferry, get Cape May, Cumberland and Ocean counties in New Jersey to clinch that state, then head on to Philly for the Saturday meet. Afterwards, hit Carroll County, Md. on the way home to clinch that state.

Conveniently, I-70 passes through the southern tip of Carroll County near Mt. Airy, so you can probably snag that one without much effort.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Ian

Any ideas on when the Philly meet will happen?
Youtube l Flickr

Roadgeek Adam

I am pushing for Feb 20 or Feb 27 - about a year after the Upper Delaware River Valley one I ran in this year, so hopefully the weather along the river would be good enough
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on October 24, 2009, 10:47:01 PM
I am pushing for Feb 20 or Feb 27 - about a year after the Upper Delaware River Valley one I ran in this year, so hopefully the weather along the river would be good enough

I still question the timing of a meet in that part of the country in February; it's true that the weather on the day of the Delaware Valley meet was good but it was crappy the two days beforehand..

So I take it that you, and not Jeff Kitsko, are going to do a Philly meet?

PAHighways

I was planning on May, which is the same month the first one was held.

SSOWorld

ok, now I am officially confused. :pan:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Roadgeek Adam

My college semester ends on May 10 for the spring, but I know there would be 3 months between the two semesters. I like February, but its up to consensus
Adam Seth Moss

Ian

Either is fine for me of course  :sombrero:
Youtube l Flickr

froggie

Agree with HBE...weather in the Northeast in February isn't exactly conducive to this sort of thing (I think it's a fluke that you guys got lucky on that this past year).  Nevermind that in late February, you're looking at a sunset around quarter to 6 but in mid-May the sunset is at 8pm.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 25, 2009, 07:42:53 AM
Agree with HBE...weather in the Northeast in February isn't exactly conducive to this sort of thing (I think it's a fluke that you guys got lucky on that this past year).  Nevermind that in late February, you're looking at a sunset around quarter to 6 but in mid-May the sunset is at 8pm.

If the meet had been two days earlier, it would have been pouring the snow.

PAHighways

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2009, 03:00:16 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 25, 2009, 07:42:53 AM

If the meet had been two days earlier, it would have been pouring the snow.

Or like mid-February 2007, a snow storm shuts down all of the Interstates with the exception of the PA Turnpike.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.