Spring 2010 Baltimore meet

Started by Alps, October 23, 2009, 09:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I'm in the early stages of planning what I'll call the followup to this fall's DC meet.  If I can make it work, it would cover the I-695 and I-895 interchanges (both of which have been rebuilt or are still being rebuilt), I-795 and the nearby SPUI on I-695, the dead I-170 in western Baltimore, and ICC construction closer to DC.  Whether that's too much and what else we may be able to see along the way, I'll fill in as the dates get closer.  Target date is Saturday, March 27 if the weather holds up, otherwise April 10 (skipping Easter and Passover).  No need to RSVP yet, but keep this in the back of your mind and prepare for additional details in the coming months.

froggie

(also mentioned on MTR)

As I mentioned in the DC meet thread, I'd suggest waiting until late next year for the ICC stuff, after the first phase of the ICC opens.

Alps

As replied on MTR...
I'm a construction geek.  I'd rather see the road before it opens.  I-695 and I-895 interchanges will have enough new roadways to drive on - and I want to get there while there's some remnant of the old 695/95 crossover (95 is already fixed, 695 not yet but it's starting).

froggie

You'd still have plenty of ICC to view before it opens.  Waiting until late next year would give you both...being able to drive part of the ICC, and being able to see the construction of the rest of the ICC.

IMO, it could easily be a separate meet in and of itself, not necessarily tied into Baltimore.

Alps

Definitely taken under consideration.  There's enough to see around Baltimore where I might never get down that far anyway, hence the "whether that's too much" thrown in there.  The I-395/95 interchange is another one to drive through, and there's a nice bridge on the original National Road...

Ian

I could possibly make it. Baltimore isn't far for me.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

(also to be posted to MTR)

Depending on the timing, and also quite possibly W/ORT the timing, I may have to choose between this one and the Philly meet that's being bandied about. I know Jeff Kitsko said he was shooting for a springtime date for that, but Adam Moss is now saying he wants to do one in Philly in late February. I know I'm a special case in that I tend to travel longer distances than most for these things, since I'm now combining them with normal roadtrips and also county-collecting trips, but two meets in relatively-close proximity to each other in a short period of time might not work for me. After all, there are just so many ways to cross the Appalachians and I think I now know every pothole on I-79 in West Virginia on a first-name basis. Plus, there's now a 75-percent chance I'll do a multi-day Kentucky meet in May or June, and I'll need the Thursday and Friday of that week off work for that meet, so I'll have to be judicious with my vacation days.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeek Adam

H.B. even if Jeff and I do the meet, we can always merge the ideas for one meet. I don't have to be the leader you know
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

I'd be much more in favor of, and even more likely to attend, a May meet in Philly vs. a Feb meet.

corco

I'll be in Washington 4/10-4/18, so if it were then that would be spectacular

SSOWorld

This might definitely give me a chance to clinch at least two divisions of Interstate (DC, Delaware and possibly Maryland), two more city freeway grids (DC being the other - though I would have to plan DC carefully to allow clinching of I-66 or other freeways with car-pool restrictions).  It does depend on my ability to accumulate funds for travel as I'm gonna be strapped for cash in the next year at a minimum.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Now that the date is getting closer, I have narrowed it down to April 10 or April 17.  Easter is on the 4th so that shouldn't get in the way.  (Passover will be over, too.)  Please post here which of those dates you can attend so I can pick one over the other.

yanksfan6129

Ian

I think I can make it if it is April 10 or 17. The 10th is the week after my Spring Break (I don't want it to be then, because I will be in Florida).
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dougtone

I'm going to say April 17th, Steve.  There's a hockey game I'd like to see on the 10th.

corco

I'll know in a few weeks if I get free airfare to Washington for the week of the 11th (>50% chance), and once I find out I can sort of make either, but the 17th would be a bit more convenient for me (I'd miss one fewer day of class/work and be on the hook for 1 night of lodging instead of 2, plus 1 day fewer of airport parking in Denver). That said, since I'm not for sure, don't use this as an official vote

froggie

10th is better for me.  17th is a duty weekend.

There were 3 others on MTR (including HBE) who noted a preference for the 10th.  Someone also noted there's a home Orioles game that evening.

rawmustard

As far as I know, I have nothing planned for either date. Of course, April's in that big lull of federal holidays, but I could probably make the trip burning one vacation day like I did for State College last year. I'll know more as the next two months roll on. I've looked forward to making a trip to this area anyway, but it's all but certain it won't be next weekend as I originally had thought months ago.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on February 05, 2010, 08:28:16 AM
10th is better for me.  17th is a duty weekend.

There were 3 others on MTR (including HBE) who noted a preference for the 10th.  Someone also noted there's a home Orioles game that evening.

Steve mentioned the 24th as a possibility in an MTR post. The same issues that preclude my attendance on the 17th (work-related conference in Louisville the 19th-21st) would necessarily preclude my attendance on the 24th. So it's the 10th or bust for me.

Alps

Well my own preference would be the 17th, for the same hockey game as Doug, but the reason I put the 10th out there is just in case a lot of people have conflicts with the 17th... which appears to potentially be the case.  I'll give everyone a few days to respond anyway, but if the 17th and 24th BOTH don't work for people, then the 10th it'll have to be.

74/171FAN

Only the 10th works for me, the 17th is my senior prom(if I decide to go) and the 24th I'm on a band trip
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 05, 2010, 12:47:46 PM
Well my own preference would be the 17th, for the same hockey game as Doug...

Cue C.C. Slater and his thoughts on "the hockies..."  :-D

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2010, 02:20:36 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 05, 2010, 12:47:46 PM
Well my own preference would be the 17th, for the same hockey game as Doug...

Cue C.C. Slater and his thoughts on "the hockies..."  :-D

I tend to like hockey just as much as I like roads.  If there was a way I could fit in both the meet and the game, that would be best.  This would be much better achieved by having the meet a different weekend than the game.

hbelkins

Quote from: dougtone on February 05, 2010, 02:44:22 PM

I tend to like hockey just as much as I like roads.  If there was a way I could fit in both the meet and the game, that would be best.  This would be much better achieved by having the meet a different weekend than the game.

Who's playing, anyway?

akotchi

I can do either weekend.  I'd like to get to this one.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.