News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Quonset Hut In rural communities

Started by roadman65, June 09, 2024, 07:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/53774043591
One of the things I enjoy to see is the same buildings used in Gomer Pyle USMC ( the sixties situation comedy) in travels around the country.

Most of my finds are in rural areas like this one on US 60 in Afton, OK.

How many others exist out there?

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SectorZ

There was one on the property behind me until the early 2000's when it was torn down and rebuilt as a standard garage. I don't know how long it had been there before that but probably decades.

mgk920

There is one across the tracks from the Waupaca, WI VRF (Virtual RailFan) cameras.

There were a lot of them that were made available to the public as surplus when WWII ended.

There are also new versions that are commercially available, especially marketed as small airport hangars.

Mike

ErmineNotyours

There are a few World War II-era Quonset huts in unredeveloped commercial districts:  Pacific Highway South near Des Moines, Washington.

JayhawkCO

There a bunch in Adak, AK where I'll be visiting in a little over a month.

Scott5114

There are quite a few of them in Goldsby, OK. They're often used as hangars for small airplanes, or else as sheds for agricultural machinery.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

Sctvhound

Until 2002, WCBD-TV, the NBC in Charleston, SC had their studios in an old Quonset hut.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.