News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: 7/8 on June 27, 2016, 01:01:57 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 25, 2016, 10:04:26 PM
I assume it's because they accidentally put up 412 ETR shields (since taken down) and need to manufacture the correct ON 412 shields.

I was wondering why there were no picture of the 412 shields. I'm assuming these will be white-on-blue like the new 407 shields?

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 25, 2016, 10:16:26 PM
I think it was an honest mistake by the contractor, but some are suggesting it's potential foreshadowing on who will get these new roads.....

I certainly hope not! The last thing we need is the 407 ETR taking more of our toll money  :banghead: It's bad enough the provincial government will still be charging toll rates almost as high as the ETR

I saw this article via Tollroadsnews about Hwy-407 ETC, West Face pushes SNC-Lavalin to sell his 407 stake.
http://tollroadsnews.com/news/daily-news-brief-june-29-2016#10
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/west-face-pushes-snc-lavalin-to-sell-highway-407-stake-sources-say/article30649570/

AsphaltPlanet

I posted these on another forum, but here are a few recent photos of Hwy 69 between Parry Sound and Sudbury:

My Hwy 69 page:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_60-69_images/Hwy69_p4_images.htm
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Looks like it will be done on time. How did you manage to get on the overpass during construction? Surely it must be closed off to the public, right?

I've been looking for an update on this, thanks for providing it.

According to Ontario 511, this section should open by the 26 August. It looks like it may open earlier than that.

If anyone is interested: http://www.highway69.ca/highway69/index.html

I doubt the entire road will be done by 2021. But maybe it will?

cl94

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 09, 2016, 12:05:52 PM
Looks like it will be done on time. How did you manage to get on the overpass during construction? Surely it must be closed off to the public, right?

Same way we got on 407 overpasses during the Toronto meet- he probably walked on and nobody stopped him. Not like there's a fence preventing access or anything and the overpass is probably completed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

7/8

I decided to take a few photos of my namesake highway in Kitchener :)

For those who don't know, the widening of 7/8 from 4 to 6 lanes is almost complete. Here's the link for the project website:
http://www.highway7-8.com/Pages/Home.aspx

The project started in the fall of 2011 and will be complete by August. In addition to widening, there were interchange improvements, installation of high mast lighting, more noise barriers, etc. The project limits are from just west of Fischer-Hallman Rd to the 7/8 split

Views from the shopping centre by the Homer Watson interchange:

Line-Painting from the 7/8 split to just before Homer Watson Blvd. This was causing traffic even at 9pm:

AsphaltPlanet

Looks like most of the paving is done.  I was last out there in May, at that time all of the signs had been erected, but top coarse paving had yet to begin.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Thanks for the pictures. To be honest, this project slipped through the cracks for me. Looks good as usual. Hope the old 'Homer Watson Blvd' sign is removed, or we'll have a candidate of the 'Department of Redundancy Department' thread.

Also, for fun, I made up a sign drawing for the 64 at 69 interchange last year, but never posted it. I want to see how close I got before the real sign is revealed.

7/8

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 15, 2016, 09:28:53 AM
Looks like most of the paving is done.  I was last out there in May, at that time all of the signs had been erected, but top coarse paving had yet to begin.

I saw a few spots that still need surface asphalt, but to me it looks like they should have no problems finishing on time.

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 15, 2016, 10:30:02 PM
Thanks for the pictures. To be honest, this project slipped through the cracks for me. Looks good as usual. Hope the old 'Homer Watson Blvd' sign is removed, or we'll have a candidate of the 'Department of Redundancy Department' thread.

Also, for fun, I made up a sign drawing for the 64 at 69 interchange last year, but never posted it. I want to see how close I got before the real sign is revealed.

You're right, I didn't notice how silly it is that there are two Homer Watson signs one after the other. If it's still there in August, I'll add it to that thread :)

At first I saw the black squares and thought you were going for the New Jersey look, but then I saw the "omit black surrounding shield/arrow"  :-D

AsphaltPlanet

Good work on the sign.

The real sign signs both 64 and Daoust Lake Road Road, so it's quite a long sign.  I also believe that Sturgeon Falls has been included as a control city.

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 16, 2016, 07:49:01 AM
Good work on the sign.

The real sign signs both 64 and Daoust Lake Road, so it's quite a long sign.  I also believe that Sturgeon Falls has been included as a control city.

I wasn't aware there was a road name for 64. Anyway, I do these type of things for fun. I try to put myself into the head of the sign person who designs it (including incorporating the DOT's standard's, in this case the MTO).

Also, on Google Earth, it looks like there is work being done south of there at ON 607. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be an interchange there (it would make sense), but looks like earthwork is underway.

7/8

I finally got to take the 412 and part of the new 407 extension today. I know pictures have already been posted here, but I wanted to take some too :)

Exit signs on 401 WB for 412

Current median is all gravel. Do they plan on planting grass?

Compare the exit signs for Exit 5 and Exit 9. Is it just me, or is the font different? The second one doesn't look as good to me.

Taunton Rd Overpass

Signage for 407 Exit

As pointed out earlier, Peterborough is covered up on these 407 signs

On ramp to 407 WB. What font is this? It doesn't look like FHWA, but maybe I'm wrong.

The white-on-blue 407 shield I love so much :) I didn't see any 412 shields up yet.

Sign notifying drivers that they're switching from the provincial 407 to the 407 ETR

SignGeek101

Quote from: 7/8 on July 17, 2016, 06:21:45 PM
Compare the exit signs for Exit 5 and Exit 9. Is it just me, or is the font different? The second one doesn't look as good to me.

Both of them are series EM. But the '9' seems bigger than the '5'. I think they're so big because the exit numbers are single digits.

Quote from: 7/8 on July 17, 2016, 06:21:45 PM
On ramp to 407 WB. What font is this? It doesn't look like FHWA, but maybe I'm wrong.

You're correct to be suspicious. It is FHWA series C. Ontario typically uses 'D'.

Not sure why that sign was made using 'C' though  :hmmm:

7/8

^ I knew I could count on SignGeek101 to answer my font questions :-D

I also took a few pictures on the 407 ETR today.

All the signs for Donald Cousens Parkway had a very condensed font. I know it has to do with the long name, but it still looks odd to me.

The numbers for the Regional Roads seem too small compared to the size of the Flowerpot shields. I've never noticed this on MTO signs.

I posted this sign in the "Design Errors" thread. The "2.5 km" doesn't line up, and it looks too close together.

The 407 logo seems disproportionally big too me.

I remember my boss at the MTO being surprised at how the 407 ETR is 6 lanes wide, and isn't split into an express-collector system. I agree, if your tire bursts in the middle lanes, it's a long way to the shoulder :-/

There seems to be a long construction zone, this picture is taken before Bramalea Rd heading WB. I saw a few lightposts laying on their sides, and the TCB (temporary concrete barrier) stretches for dozens of kms.

noelbotevera

So I'm planning to head down to Toronto next year. I decided to read up on Ontario's highways and learned about the large downloading in 1997-1998.

It's said that the downloading was for highways that had more local significance than for through traffic, but some downloadings in the GTA don't make sense to me.

Why weren't the designations kept to be easy routes to follow in the GTA? It would've still had significance to a tourist to navigate the GTA (outside of freeways) and pass by landmarks. Was it because they were useless for people passing through, or were they actually just for locals?

7/8

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 18, 2016, 01:32:41 AM
So I'm planning to head down to Toronto next year. I decided to read up on Ontario's highways and learned about the large downloading in 1997-1998.

It's said that the downloading was for highways that had more local significance than for through traffic, but some downloadings in the GTA don't make sense to me.

Why weren't the designations kept to be easy routes to follow in the GTA? It would've still had significance to a tourist to navigate the GTA (outside of freeways) and pass by landmarks. Was it because they were useless for people passing through, or were they actually just for locals?

I have the same questions too. Ontario already has the concept of Connecting Links, where a provincially highway is signed as a highway, but is actually locally maintained. Why didn't they make more of these Connecting Links instead of mass downloading?

Victoria St in Kitchener is a good example of a well-done Connecting Link. It is signed as both Highway 7 and RR 55. Everyone calls it Hwy 7, but the RR 55 shield lets you know that the road is maintained by the region.

Also, the cost of replacing all the signs for downloading most of cost a lot of money! And now you have situations like Highway 9 where there's a large gap filled by CR 109. To make matters more confusing, there are still some signs referring to the old highways, and Apple Maps and some GPS's still incorrectly use the old highway numbers! :pan:

In my opinion, it made a mess of our highway system, and it makes me jealous of other states/provinces that have a more extensive and logical state/provincial highway system.

SignGeek101

I heard the downloading in 1997 were for roads that were redundant (parallel to each other that travelled a great distance, like ON 2 and 401 in eastern Ontario). ON 2 was axed except for a small piece in eastern Ontario. It was turned into CR 2 in most areas. The downloading in 1998 was because the provincial government at the time was in debt (it still is) and wanted to transfer maintenance to the counties (passing the hot potato I suppose). Many of these transfers were illogical.

As for the GTA, I'm not sure where the original routes were (except for ON 2). The QEW through Toronto was turned over to the city (now called the Gardiner Exwy). You can still find signs for ON 2 in Toronto though (and other formally provincial routes across the province).

Here's an example: https://goo.gl/maps/qSihMcgMgj32 (in the background you can see the CR shield now)

cl94

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 18, 2016, 11:12:19 AM

I heard the downloading in 1997 were for roads that were redundant (parallel to each other that travelled a great distance, like ON 2 and 401 in eastern Ontario). ON 2 was axed except for a small piece in eastern Ontario. It was turned into CR 2 in most areas. The downloading in 1998 was because the provincial government at the time was in debt (it still is) and wanted to transfer maintenance to the counties (passing the hot potato I suppose). Many of these transfers were illogical.

As for the GTA, I'm not sure where the original routes were (except for ON 2). The QEW through Toronto was turned over to the city (now called the Gardiner Exwy). You can still find signs for ON 2 in Toronto though (and other formally provincial routes across the province).

Here's an example: https://goo.gl/maps/qSihMcgMgj32 (in the background you can see the CR shield now)

Highway 7 became Peel RR 107 and York RR 7. Mostly followed Queen Street and the road is still named "Highway 7" in places.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

noelbotevera

Quote from: cl94 on July 18, 2016, 11:32:48 AM

Highway 7 became Peel RR 107 and York RR 7. Mostly followed Queen Street and the road is still named "Highway 7" in places.
What was Highway 7's replacement? Was it Highway 407 ETR? I'm planning on doing roadgeeking in the GTA while I'm at it and I'm trying to find old King's Highway signs prior the downloading, so that's why I'm wondering what the original highways were too.

cl94

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 18, 2016, 03:22:54 PM
Quote from: cl94 on July 18, 2016, 11:32:48 AM

What was Highway 7's replacement? Was it Highway 407 ETR? I'm planning on doing roadgeeking in the GTA while I'm at it and I'm trying to find old King's Highway signs prior the downloading, so that's why I'm wondering what the original highways were too.

That and 402 further west. I expect more to be downloaded as 407 gets extended.

SignGeek101

Supposedly that is the case:

QuoteThe western segment was separated from the rest of Highway 7 on June 7, 1997, when the section from Brampton to Markham was downloaded due to the opening of Highway 407.

Now that a new section of ON 407 (not to be confused with 407 ETR, but connected to it) opened last month, who knows if the ON 7 to the south will be axed as well?

I would guess the same thing happened when the 427 opened (though that opened in 1971). The MTO I guess decided that having two provincial highways side-by-side didn't make sense (which it really doesn't in this case).  By the way, ON 427 is going to be extended farther north:

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/03/ontario-moving-forward-on-highway-427-expansion.html

In Toronto, CR 2, 7, 11A, 27 and 50 were all formally provincial highways. Honestly, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a shield for any of these guys except for 2. It took awhile for me to even find the old alignment for ON 50.

cl94

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 18, 2016, 04:11:51 PM

QuoteThe western segment was separated from the rest of Highway 7 on June 7, 1997, when the section from Brampton to Markham was downloaded due to the opening of Highway 407.

Now that a new section of ON 407 (not to be confused with 407 ETR, but connected to it) opened last month, who knows if the ON 7 to the south will be axed as well?

I would guess the same thing happened when the 427 opened (though that opened in 1971). The MTO I guess decided that having two provincial highways side-by-side didn't make sense (which it really doesn't in this case).  By the way, ON 427 is going to be extended farther north:

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/03/ontario-moving-forward-on-highway-427-expansion.html

In Toronto, CR 2, 7, 11A, 27 and 50 were all formally provincial highways. Honestly, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a shield for any of these guys except for 2. It took awhile for me to even find the old alignment for ON 50.

The others are pretty evident.

404 was recently extended to the north and it is quite nice. 410 is a CF with the ongoing widening.

7/8

There are still a fair number of outdated provincial highway shields outside the GTA. I've seen Highway 59 shields at Norfolk CR 59 and Hwy 3, Hwy 54 shields also by Hwy 3, and a Hwy 8 shield on King St E near the 401. I've probably seen more, but can't remember where.

MisterSG1

Quote from: 7/8 on July 18, 2016, 11:05:23 PM

There are still a fair number of outdated provincial highway shields outside the GTA. I've seen Highway 59 shields at Norfolk CR 59 and Hwy 3, Hwy 54 shields also by Hwy 3, and a Hwy 8 shield on King St E near the 401. I've probably seen more, but can't remember where.

There's a Highway 11 shield kicking around SB on Yonge just beyond Steeles attached to a lamppost. It's very faded but it's still there.

SignGeek101

Quote from: MisterSG1 on July 18, 2016, 11:21:31 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 18, 2016, 11:05:23 PM

There's a Highway 11 shield kicking around SB on Yonge just beyond Steeles attached to a lamppost. It's very faded but it's still there.

https://goo.gl/maps/cLca2S9erSL2

That one is at least 30 years old. Look at the 1's without the serif.

noelbotevera

Looks like the former highways in the GTA were replaced by freeways. 2 was replaced by 401, 7 by 407, 11 by 400, 27 by 427 and 400, and 50 by nothing? Not sure what Highway 50 would have in terms of importance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.