New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Yeah, the MTA definitely wants to make the switch at this point; they're just waiting on the legal issues being resolved.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mergingtraffic

I saw a VMS yesterday stating new traffic pattern at the Major Deegan interchange with Monsholu Parkway. I didn't drive up that far anybody know what it is?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

empirestate

Quote from: doofy103 on January 30, 2015, 03:06:54 PM
I saw a VMS yesterday stating new traffic pattern at the Major Deegan interchange with Monsholu Parkway. I didn't drive up that far anybody know what it is?

The Deegan bridges over the Mosholu are being re-decked, so there are lane shifts on both roads along with some re-striping. Three lanes each way are maintained on the Deegan. Actually, the acceleration lane from Mosholu SB to I-87 SB has been made longer as a result; I hope that stays.

Mergingtraffic

I just read that Kew Gardens Interchange project is halfway done.  Do you think it will actually help on the Van Wyck? 

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2014/50/interchange_tl_2014_12_12_q.html

Granted the article goes back to December.

Mergingtraffic

Also noticed, there is a lane drop SB on the Bronx River Pkwy at Exit 5, E. 177th St/I-895.  3-lanes used to go through now the 3rd drops to an exit only for the Sheridan Expy.

However, the old BGSs for Exit 5 are still there.

ixnay

Quote from: Bumppoman on December 04, 2014, 08:21:00 PM

Hmm, "Mygatt St". 

Is there a Mynafta Street somewhere in this fair land?  Get it?  My GATT?  My NAFTA?  (Trade agreement pun)

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ixnay

And speaking of silly Empire State toponyms, negotiating this flyover from NB NY 14 onto NB NY 14A sends you on your way to Penn Yan.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Watkins+Glen,+NY/@42.421858,-76.904351,3a,72.3y,126.17h,61.24t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-tpxa4DyqWDdpHf_mGVRzg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x89d0590a7bd9618f:0xd42cbd119e511709

Point of this post:  When was this flyover built?  Early or mid-60s, I imagine.  (Too bad NY doesn't put years of completion on overpasses a la NJDOT, MassDOT, or Maryland's SHA or MdTA).

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

NE2

Quote from: ixnay on February 07, 2015, 07:34:04 PM
Point of this post:  When was this flyover built?  Early or mid-60s, I imagine.  (Too bad NY doesn't put years of completion on overpasses a la NJDOT, MassDOT, or Maryland's SHA or MdTA).
http://uglybridges.com/1376885
Thanks, Feds!
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jemacedo9

^^  That flyover was replaced either last year or the year before...

ixnay

Quote from: jemacedo9 on February 07, 2015, 08:09:38 PM
^^  That flyover was replaced either last year or the year before...

It was still there in early October 2012 when I vacationed in Watkins Glen (4 years after the Google Street View pic I linked).  It was flimsy by 2008.   I just looked at Google Satellite and it showed the replacement (which was no doubt needed) in an early phase of construction.

I guess the dualization of NY 14 also took place in 1964...

ixnay

J Route Z

It's strange that the Street View made a u-turn at the Lakeside Resort and didn't continue south on Route 14. 

Mergingtraffic

Any updates with I-86 and NY-17 and when it'll be complete? I noticed bridge work over I-84. Plus there are future I-86 END signs at I-84 but the DOT site says I-86 ends at I-87.

cl94

Quote from: doofy103 on February 15, 2015, 10:14:54 PM
Any updates with I-86 and NY-17 and when it'll be complete? I noticed bridge work over I-84. Plus there are future I-86 END signs at I-84 but the DOT site says I-86 ends at I-87.

That end sign has been there for several years. When the work in the area finishes, a segment in western Orange County will be signed as I-86. As to when it'll all be done, they haven't even started construction on the last bypass segment just east of the current ET. I'm thinking 10 years, minimum.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Wasn't the reconstruction project from NY 17K to I-84 finished years ago?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I would like to know what is so sub standard about NY 17 in Orange County anyway that the feds will not let be signed as such?

Considering that PA has many interstates that are no wheres near interstate standards (ie Interstate 70 from I-79 to the PA Turnpike, I-78 from PA 61 to PA 100,  I-68 in Cumberland, and how about I-278 in the very same state) that have been signed for over 50 plus years.

NY 17 is more to standard between Monticello and Harriman then I-70 is from Washington, PA and New Stanton.  Plus the former is built for freeway when the latter was built for expressway grade poorly upgraded later on for interstate use.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

I know there are issues with exit 122 that Region 8 is working to rectify.  There's also a reconstruction project for exit 131 under the I-86 upgrade banner.  Other than that, it's just the upcoming Hale Eddy upgrades, the ongoing reconstruction in Binghamton, the spot upgrades in Tioga County, and miscellaneous spot upgrades in Region 9 (including the Neversink River bridge replacement that is likely done).

cl94

As seen elsewhere, the feds won't let anything else be grandfathered into the system. While everything except the Deposit-Hancock (Hale Eddy) stretch meets old Interstate standards, they're not going to let it in without upgrades (which are needed or in progress at a couple of key locations).

Supposedly, the 17K-84 stretch will be in after the Exits 121-122 reconstruction is done. That whole area is a mess right now and they appear to be improving the cloverleaf.

There's also the Exit 111 RIRO that local businesses and residents are giving a stink about because NYSDOT wants to close it and send all traffic to Exit 110 a mile away.

There are a lot of covered I-86 shields east of NY 30, possibly giving an indication that Region 9 intends to sign it in the near future. I fully expect the 55 sections in Delaware County and near Wurtsboro to remain in place due to geographical constraints, so there's nothing else I can think of.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

empirestate

What's the end of the designation east of Elmira? My understanding is that it's the Tioga County line, but in forum discussions a segment of I-86 is regularly cited in Bradford County, PA. Has it been extended to US 220?

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on February 16, 2015, 08:30:31 PM
What's the end of the designation east of Elmira? My understanding is that it's the Tioga County line, but in forum discussions a segment of I-86 is regularly cited in Bradford County, PA. Has it been extended to US 220?

Tioga County line at the east end of the stretch in PA. It spends a very short amount of time in Tioga County before it dips into PA. Effectively ends at NY 34, which is very close to US 220.

steviep24

PHLBOS

Quote from: steviep24 on February 17, 2015, 02:16:23 PM
NYSDOT replaces sign on route 104 in Webster due to spelling error.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2015/01/23/phillips-road-sign-webster-mistake/22232375/
Can we get a cleaner link without all the pop-up/survey mumbo-jumbo?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

steviep24

Dougtone

Northway Exit 4 construction is happening starting February 23. Well, the overpasses are being replaced this year at least, probably because it's time to replace them anyway.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2015/02/17/construction-to-start-on-northway-exit-4-bridges.html

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on February 16, 2015, 08:46:00 PM

Tioga County line at the east end of the stretch in PA. It spends a very short amount of time in Tioga County before it dips into PA. Effectively ends at NY 34, which is very close to US 220.

OK. I had read (here) that the designation was due to be extended to US 220, but I never heard that it actually took place. Wikipedia still shows the end at the Chemung/Tioga County line—but of course, it also says elsewhere that it still ends at NY 352 in Elmira, whereas the exit listing shows the Bradford/Tioga terminus.

Can you give a source for the new terminus? It would be nice to have Wikipedia up to date on this. (FWIW, this link still says that the route is "awaiting designation" in Tioga County.)

EDIT: Another source corroborates that it isn't I-86 east of Chemung County yet, according to the chariman of the I-86 coalition.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on February 17, 2015, 06:52:41 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 16, 2015, 08:46:00 PM

OK. I had read (here) that the designation was due to be extended to US 220, but I never heard that it actually took place. Wikipedia still shows the end at the Chemung/Tioga County lineā€“but of course, it also says elsewhere that it still ends at NY 352 in Elmira, whereas the exit listing shows the Bradford/Tioga terminus.

Can you give a source for the new terminus? It would be nice to have Wikipedia up to date on this. (FWIW, this link still says that the route is "awaiting designation" in Tioga County.)

EDIT: Another source corroborates that it isn't I-86 east of Chemung County yet, according to the chariman of the I-86 coalition.

I was going by the signage, which is uncovered west of US 220. AASHTO has not posted any records stating that an extension has been improved. As with much of the rest of the corridor, the current status is unclear.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.