News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most hated teams ever in sports

Started by golden eagle, July 31, 2010, 04:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Sports Illustrated published a list of the 25 most hated teams ever in sports. The list includes college, pro and international teams. I'll tease you with three teams on the list:

9. 1989-90 UNLV basketball
16. 1974 Oakland Athletics
22. Toronto Maple Leafs

Here's the rest of the story, er, list.

- Fixed the URL code. - rmf67.

BigMattFromTexas

Here's a list of mine:
1 - Oklahoma Sooners.
2 - Texas Tech Red Raiders.
3 - New York Yankees.
4 - Texas A&M Aggies.
5 - Los Angeles Lakers.
6 - Boston Celtics (unless their playing the Lakers).
7 - New England Patriots.
8 - Philadelphia Flyers.
9 - Montreal Canadiens.
10 - Carolina Canes.
I have more but I'll stick with 10 for now. ;)
BigMatt

english si

'98-'99 Man United only 10th? I guess there was a strong American bias in the list. Man U not only had to spend £28 million (at that point in soccer that was an awful lot), but only beat Arsenal to the league title after Arsenal's local rivals, Tottenham, who had outplayed ManUre in the first half of the season's last match, decided to not play very well and let Man U win, giving them the title. They also need perhaps the greatest FA Cup goal ever to break the 200 minute deadlock (90 minutes, plus 109 minutes of the replay) - an absolutely incredibly moment out of nowhere - to beat Arsenal in the FA Cup to get to the final and then there's the completely against the run of play winning of the Champions League final, by getting two scrappy goals when Munich were almost celebrating, to get the Treble. This team that just about did it three times is lauded as amazingly great, when other teams (including Man U teams and especially Arsenal's invincibles) have won the league so much easier, and missed out on other trophies by similar tiny margins to those which Man U won by in '99, don't get half as much praise from the media.

It's not just the hordes of glory seeking fans (even ignoring the millions in Asia), the cockiness of manager and players, it's the media bias towards them that makes them (Man U in general, not just the treble winning team) loathed all across England and when they lose. It's often the one thing that brings fans of two teams who don't like each, but don't have a fierce rivalry together. Leeds (who are high up on the hate list themselves) beating them in the FA Cup, at Old Trafford, this year made nearly every soccer fan that wasn't cheering on Man U be a lot happier for a couple of days.

Scott5114

Quote from: BigMatt on July 31, 2010, 04:22:21 PM
Here's a list of mine:
1 - Oklahoma Sooners.

I'll agree with you there! Anyone who destroys the traffic flow on I-35 on a regular basis for no important reason needs to not exist!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

Quote from: BigMatt on July 31, 2010, 04:22:21 PM
Here's a list of mine:
1 - Oklahoma Sooners.
2 - Texas Tech Red Raiders.
3 - New York Yankees.
4 - Texas A&M Aggies.
5 - Los Angeles Lakers.
6 - Boston Celtics (unless their playing the Lakers).
7 - New England Patriots.
8 - Philadelphia Flyers.
9 - Montreal Canadiens.
10 - Carolina Canes.
I have more but I'll stick with 10 for now. ;)
BigMatt

I fully aggree with you on the Yankees. But if you hate the Flyers, Celtics, Patriots, AND the Canadiens, then I hate you  :-P :)

Edit: It is NEVER in bad taste to hate cheaters.

For me, here is a list of teams that I'm not a fan of
-New York Yankees (the one I hate the most, especially since they beat the Phillies in the world series)
-New York Mets
-Dallas Cowboys
-Pittsburgh everything
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

bugo

Quote from: golden eagle on July 31, 2010, 04:03:28 PM
9. 1989-90 UNLV basketball

I remember those bastards.  I still get angry when I hear the letters U-N-L-V.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

BigMattFromTexas

U-N-L-V. Haha, I had to do it.

I don't get how you can hate the Pens and the 'Boys......
BigMatt

cu2010

In no particular order:
Boston Red Sox
California Anaheim LA Angels
Chicago Blackhawks
Pittsburgh Penguins (okay...I don't hate the whole team, just Crosby)
Boston Celtics
LA Lakers
New England Patriots
St. Lawrence Saints
RPI Engineers
Cornell Big Red
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

realjd

Here's the ones I hate:
1. Notre Dame
2. Any Chicago team
3. Any NY team
4. UMichigan
5. The Patriots

golden eagle

Here are my hate teams:

NFL: Green Bay Packers, NY Giants (NFC); Buffalo Bills, Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders (AFC)
MLB: Atlanta Braves (NL and overall); Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox (AL)
NBA: Boston Celtics, Detroit Pistons, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns
College football: Ole Miss Rebels (any sport, really), Florida State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Nebraska
College basketball: Duke, North Carolina, Georgetown

rickmastfan67

Quote from: BigMatt on August 01, 2010, 01:25:57 AM

PennDOTFan's from Philly.  What do you expect? ;)  Pittsburgh fans hate Philly fans and vise-versa.  It's only natural since we're from both sides of the state. ;)

njroadhorse

College:
1. University of Michigan/University of North Carolina
2. University of Virginia
3. University of Southern California
4. University of Oklahoma
5. Georgetown University
6. University of Florida
7. Louisiana State University
8. University of Wisconsin
9. University of Connecticut
10. University of Utah (I don't know why, I just do)

Professional
1. Boston Red Sox
2. Dallas Cowboys
3. New England Patriots
4. Cleveland Browns
5. Baltimore Ravens
6. Los Angeles Angels
7. Philadelphia Phillies
8. Philadelphia Flyers/New Jersey Devils/New York Rangers
9. Washington Capitals/Detroit Red Wings
10. The NBA
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

74/171FAN

1. New York Mets(obviously I'm a Braves fan)
2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish(mostly because of Lou Holtz)
3. New England Patriots
4. Alabama Crimson Tide
5. Chicago Bears
6. Oklahoma Sooners
7. Philadelphia Phillies(especially since they just got Oswalt even though the Nationals beat him Friday)
8. New York Yankees
9. USC Trojans
10. Washington Redskins(because I'm always forced to watch them lose)
11. Virginia Cavaliers(I have to, I'm a Hokie, I don't hate them as much as I should though)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

yanksfan6129

1. Boston Red Sox
and that's about it. Although I can't say I'm fond of the LA Angels, or even the Tampa Bay Rays these days. Those past few games against Tampa have been real fights, very well played and tough games.

Ian

Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 31, 2010, 10:18:48 PM
Edit: It is NEVER in bad taste to hate cheaters.

Okay okay, they cheated. I only said that as a joke, and mostly because I am a fan of them, since my family is from the area and I go up there so much...

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 01, 2010, 10:13:56 AM
Quote from: BigMatt on August 01, 2010, 01:25:57 AM

PennDOTFan's from Philly.  What do you expect? ;)  Pittsburgh fans hate Philly fans and vise-versa.  It's only natural since we're from both sides of the state. ;)

Heh, that pretty much sums it up!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: golden eagle on August 01, 2010, 10:12:40 AM

College football: Ole Miss Rebels (any sport, really), Florida State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Nebraska

Hey! That's not very nice!  ;-)
I definitely agree about Notre Dame though. They're always at the top of my hated teams list. I'd put Texas, Florida and USC on my list too.

corco

1. University of Michigan (grew up an Ohio State fan)
2. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (their fans are possibly the least educated ever)
3. Boston Red Sox (their fanbase became total asswagons after 2004, enough to make a team I liked a little a team I hate- even making me root for the Yankees over them)
4. Notre Dame (goes without saying)
5. TCU (the Boise State fan in me dislikes those Horned Frogs)
6. Washington Nationals (Vive Les Expos!)

hbelkins

College sports (no order):

Duke
North Carolina
Tennessee
Louisville
Eastern Kentucky
Kansas

I don't follow pro sports like I used to but I list the following, mostly pro football teams:

Tennessee Titans (they will always be the Houston Oilers)
Baltimore Ravens (they will always be the original Cleveland Browns)
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers
Washington Redskins
Dallas Cowboys
San Francisco 49ers (beat the Bengals both times the Bengals went to the Super Bowl)

I don't watch or follow baseball anymore after the 1994 players' strike, but here are the teams I hate(d):
Atlanta Braves (back when WTBS was Channel 17 in Atlanta and was the first national superstation and they broadcasted all the Braves games, they completely destroyed the concept of rooting for your hometown or regional team. This was always Reds country but by the late 1980s there were as many Braves fans around here as Reds fans, and that's the fault of Ted Turner's superstation)
Los Angeles Dodgers
Baltimore Orioles
Oakland A's
New York Yankees
The NY Mets were on that list until my cousin, Doug Flynn got traded from the Reds to the Mets in the Tom Seaver deal. Then I started wearing a Mets hat around.

I don't watch the NBA and I'm not a hockey fan at all so I plead indifference to those sports.

NASCAR teams:
Jeff Gordon
Jimmie Johnson

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ctsignguy

My most disliked teams

1. Dork.....errr, Duke (listening to Dukie V sing their praises every winter has me reaching for the MUTE button)
2. New York Yankees
3. LA Lakers (Proof the NBA is more rigged than pro wrestling....how can this team miss the playoffs ONLY 8 times in the 64 seasons the NBA has been around without SOME help is beyond me)
4. Dallas Cryboys....err, Cowboys
5. Georgetown Hoyas
6. North Carolina basketball
7. University of Michigan (Although not being a Buckeye fan may cause some confusion, my dislike for the Weasels stems from the early 90s basketball program )

Being a fan of the Bengals and Reds, i am certain you are surprised that neither the St L Cardinals nor the Steelers show up on my list...yes they are division rivals, and maybe SHOULD be hated, but i respect them instead, for their accomplishments on the field over the last several years....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

PAHighways

Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 31, 2010, 10:18:48 PMFor me, here is a list of teams that I'm not a fan of
-Pittsburgh everything

I can understand the other two professional teams, but you even hate the Pirates?  You should like them since that is an automatic win for the Phillies.

algorerhythms

What's with all the hatred for the Sooners? :-P

OK, so Scott5114 has a good point...

SSOWorld

• Chicago Bears
  • Minnesota Viqueens
  • Chicago Cuddlies (Cubs)
  • New England Patriots*
  • The NBA (what a bunch of selfish idiots)
  • Notre Dame football - I hate a team that feels that they are so above the clouds they need NBC to look for them.
  • Any BCS Football team - the exhibition season means nothing - still I hate Notre Dame above them all because they bought their way in.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

74/171FAN

Quote from: PAHighways on August 01, 2010, 10:27:25 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 31, 2010, 10:18:48 PMFor me, here is a list of teams that I'm not a fan of
-Pittsburgh everything

I can understand the other two professional teams, but you even hate the Pirates?  You should like them since that is an automatic win for the Phillies.
The Cubs don't see it that way.  They beat the Phillies 3 out of 4 the other week but they haven't beat the Pirates very often at all this year.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

kurumi

Specific reasons:

Duke (winning too often*, and Dick Vitale, and being from the ACC. OK, these guys are classy but I always root against them)

Yankees (winning too often*, and being from New York)

Lakers (Hollywood trashtalking primadonna showboaters; the obnoxious party guest who won't take a hint and GTFO)

Warriors (they won a championship so long ago it conflicts with the Bible's assertion about the age of the universe. They've been terrible for so long. And local sports radio gives them saturation coverage. Any time I turn on the radio between October and July it's Warriors, Warriors, Warriors. Somebody, please relocate this team.)

Colts (because of Peyton Manning... guy has rubbed me the wrong way since day 1. That's figuratively, by the way)

NY Giants (another Manning? Who asked for that? Also, the New York thing)

That team in the south that used to be the Hartford Whalers (rage rage rage rage rage)

The Taliban Infidel-Killers (they slaughter infidels and are constantly pushing for worldwide sharia law, extermination of all other religions, and brutal mistreatment of women and children. Though I do root for them when they're playing the Yankees)

* but a grudging respect. Except for the Lakers
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.