News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2016 ML baseball postseason

Started by Desert Man, October 08, 2016, 03:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

In MLB postseason (baseball for some of you), the ALDS game 2: the Toronto Blue Jays lead series after their 5-1 win vs. the Texas Rangers. They won game 1 with a score 10-0 or 1 (don't know) but the AL wild card champ did a 5-2 homer in the 11th to end the AL wild card showdown vs the Orioles. I rooted for the home team Angels but I returned to my old childhood (1990s) fave who won back to back world series titles in 1992 and 93 (and kept them in the 1994 strike when no world series was held). I want them to win the next 2, then the ALCS and the world series. They went to last year's ALDS and ALCS, so GO BLUE JAYS!  :clap:

Anyways, I'm watching the postseason game coverage all weekend: Cleveland Indians lead 2-0 vs Boston Red Sox and ALDS games 3 tomorrow (I predict a Jays vs Indians ALCS). Today is the NLDS games 2: CA teams LA Dodgers vs Washington Nats, the Dodgers won it 4-3 and SF Giants vs Chicago Cubs, who won last night 1-0. CA baseball fans hope for a Giants-Dodgers NLCS faceoff, but don't be so sure with the "cursed" Cubs had the best record of MLB this season (103! what a robust number) and the Cubs never been to the series since 1945, nor won it since 1908 (why, that's 108 years ago, my passed great-grandma was a toddler back then).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

74/171FAN

NLDS Game 2 is postponed until 1 PM ET tomorrow due to rain in DC from Hurricane Matthew.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm all in with the Cubs (again)! If it wasn't last year like Back to the Future predicted, then they will do it this year. There's no curse in place after Alanland was closed down.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Takumi

With my Orioles out, I'm rooting for the Dodgers, but would be OK with any team aside from the Jays, Red Sox, or Giants winning it all.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 08, 2016, 03:54:27 PM
I'm all in with the Cubs (again)! If it wasn't last year like Back to the Future predicted, then they will do it this year. There's no curse in place after Alanland was closed down.

I just want to see them win so their fans can stop complaining.  Boston with the Red Sox and Cleveland with anything were bad enough to listen to for all those decades.

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 08, 2016, 03:40:46 PM
NLDS Game 2 is postponed until 1 PM ET tomorrow due to rain in DC from Hurricane Matthew.

Postponement came right as we exited the elevator near our seats.

Today it's cold and windy. It didn't rain much after about 5:00 last night. Not sure whether it would have been better for them to have attempted to play in the wet or in the wind today. I guess it's windy all the time in Chicago.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Stephane Dumas

If the Toronto Blue Jays will put the Texas Rangers to rest. They'll meet Boston or Cleveland. If the Cleveland Indians will win against Boston and...Toronto. Does that mean then Cleveland will concede the title of "mistake-on-the-lake" to Toronto? ;) Sorry I couldn't resist. ^^; 

jp the roadgeek

My Sox looked great in the first 2 games :ded: :banghead:

And the weather gave us a 24 hour stay of execution.

If the Sox don't win, wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs finally end it.  Large Sox contingent there (Lester, Lackey, Ross, Rizzo was a draft pick, Theo).  Suppose I'd root for the Indians to join them in the Series (Tito, Napoli, Crisp).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Jmiles32

Lets go NATS!!!! I had pretty low expectations for them after they limped into the playoffs, but now with the series tied, with their momentum, combined with Skins win over the Ravens, I'm beginning to hope...
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

triplemultiplex

I'll be the first to say it: screw the Cubs.  I wish all the worst for them.  Just because your team sucked for so long doesn't make you more deserving of jack shit.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Alps

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 10, 2016, 01:02:59 AM
I'll be the first to say it: screw the Cubs.  I wish all the worst for them.  Just because your team sucked for so long doesn't make you more deserving of jack shit.

Sounds like a sore Brewers fan to me.

Also: THE RED SOX GOT SWEPT!!!  :-D :D :) :clap: :happy:

DaBigE

Quote from: Alps on October 10, 2016, 10:28:13 PM

Sounds like another sore smart Brewers fan to me.

Fixed it :bigass:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jp the roadgeek

:verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:  More like we didn't even show.  Terrible way for Big Papi to go out. :-(

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

epzik8

Hopefully my Nats can finish the Dodgers!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Buck87

Go Tribe!

It will be Cleveland vs. Toronto in the ALCS, just like it was Cleveland vs. Toronto in the NBA Eastern Conference Finals back in May. This is the first time that 2 cities have had both their NBA and MLB teams face each other in the semifinal rounds in the same year (since it first became possible in 1969)

kurumi

Giants are still alive after 13-inning thriller -- EYBS FTW :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Desert Man

Quote from: kurumi on October 11, 2016, 11:19:11 AM

and so are the Dodgers cross-state, 6-5 vs the Nats, tied the series 2-2. The "cursed" Cubs really want to get past that, then the NLCS and finally the world series. Baseball is a sport of surprises, twists and turns.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

kurumi

Quote from: kurumi on October 11, 2016, 11:19:11 AM

Edit: even years not divisible by 8
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

CNGL-Leudimin

At least the Giants kept the Mets away from sweeping the Cubs again.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

inkyatari

My Cubbies advance. 

What an amazing 9th inning.  Giants bullpen really sucks bad.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

CNGL-Leudimin

Okay, the Cubs have to visit California again. I hope they don't get swept again like last year!

Buck87

So we just had the 2 teams with the longest active world series title droughts knock out the 2 teams that have won it 3 times in this century. Meanwhile in the other 2 division series, the 2 titleless teams who have owned the rights to the Washington "curly W" logo were knocked out by teams whose WS title droughts are 23 and 28 years.

This year we are guaranteed a world series in which both teams will be making their first appearance in the 21st century.

Of the 4 possible matchups, 3 would be the first ever WS matchup between those teams. The only one that would be a repeat would be Dodgers-Indians, which last occurred in 1920.

roadman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 11, 2016, 01:00:07 AM

:verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:  More like we didn't even show.  Terrible way for Big Papi to go out. :-(

The Red Sox performance (or lack thereof) in the 2016 ALDS is another reason why the bulk of a player's salary should be performance based.  Give them a base of $150K - want to earn more, earn it by good hitting, proper fielding, and winning games.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman on October 14, 2016, 01:50:07 PM

The Red Sox performance (or lack thereof) in the 2016 ALDS is another reason why the bulk of a player's salary should be performance based.  Give them a base of $150K - want to earn more, earn it by good hitting, proper fielding, and winning games.

The MLBPA is way too powerful for even such an idea to be considered.

Also I was astonished that Clayton Kershaw got the save by pitching the final two outs last night after Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen came in during the 7th.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 14, 2016, 01:58:50 PM
Quote from: roadman on October 14, 2016, 01:50:07 PM

The MLBPA is way too powerful for even such an idea to be considered.

Also I was astonished that Clayton Kershaw got the save by pitching the final two outs last night after Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen came in during the 7th.

Yeah, that happened with Tazawa on the Red Sox a couple of times this season that left everyone thinking that although the rules were being followed, the rules weren't quite right.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.