News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2016 ML baseball postseason

Started by Desert Man, October 08, 2016, 03:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

I saw some of the prices. $1 million for a seat. Granted, it's probably the most historic World Series in any of our lifetimes in that one of the two longest droughts in professional sports will end.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: amroad17 on October 24, 2016, 12:57:47 AM
Clayton Kershaw has "choked"/performed miserably in the post-season for most of his career.  He is, IMHO, the Peyton Manning of baseball.  A fantastic regular season pitcher but a mere mortal in the playoffs.

This isn't to say he may be part of a World Series-winning team.  It always seems he tires in the playoffs because he is, with the exception of this year, approaching the 260-inning plus mark.  Nowadays, that is a lot of innings.  Also, because of the Dodgers offense, he is almost always pitching in a 2-1, 3-1, or 3-2 game.  That will not only wear on a pitcher physically, but also mentally.  By the end of the season, he is probably worn out mentally and probably overthinks on how he is to perform out on the mound.  He does fine for five or six innings, but when the seventh comes around, he just starts to pitch badly.

BTW, if the Cubs win the World Series, they should give Steve Bartman at least ten seasons' worth of free passes to Wrigley and have him throw out the first pitch at the game the Cubs raise the World Series Champion banner next year.  Boston "forgave" Bill Buckner; Cubs fans should "forgive" Steve Bartman.

I don't know if its fair to say that Kershaw choked this year in the postseason.  Certainly he didn't have his best stuff in game 6 against the Cubs, but he'd pitched amazingly well all post season this year.  And he did it without regular rest.  Though the Dodgers were betting differently, you can't fault the guy for being a little bit out of gas given all that had been asked of his thus far.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Stephane Dumas

TravelingBethelite

More like dominated...damn that Corey Kleuber!!!!!  :ded:  :banghead: :verymad: :thumbdown:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

inkyatari

Be fair, the ump totally sucked with his strike zone.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

TR69

Cubbies lost a road game to an excellent pitcher -- it happens. They're weren't going to sweep the series anyway. Lots more baseball left to play, including 3 in Chicago.  :spin:

CNGL-Leudimin

I invoke the Curse of Rocky Colavito. Now the Cubs can easily win the World Series :sombrero: (I said several times the Curse of the Billy Goat was broken by the closure of the Alanland thread).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cl94

I still stand by Cubs in 6. Kluber is quite good and he has had a 2.52 ERA since the All-Star break.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Stephane Dumas

Stephane Dumas

Buck87

CNGL-Leudimin

Damnit. I decided to revert to the I-41 shield because of that. I don't think Cubs will win the World Series this year, but again, they can overcome that.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cl94

Might want to bring the Cubs logo back. The W flag is going up tonight. Indians now lead 3-2 after Game 5.

Stephane Dumas

1995hoo

The last time there were two ties in a single NFL season, the Indians lost the World Series.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

amroad17

^ Those two tie games in 1997 also occurred in back-to-back weeks.

Some series, huh?  Cleveland's pitching has been very good (two shutouts) and the Cubs aren't hitting.  It took an eight-out save by Chapman to save the season for the Cubs.  Game 6 should be quite electric.

My earlier prediction was incorrect, obviously.  Oh well!  :-|
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

1995hoo

I remember those 1997 ties quite well. I was bellowing at my TV in rage when Westbrook took a penalty that moved the Redskins out of field goal range at the end of OT (it was also the infamous Gus Frerotte headbutt game) and I was so loud and so profane it scared the crap out of the chicks downstairs.

Not watching baseball tonight. The Caps are on.

cl94

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2016, 08:40:17 PM

You're missing what has so far been a crazy game.

TR69

Quote from: cl94 on November 01, 2016, 08:41:55 PM

Yeah, crazy *awesome*  :clap:  Lots more game yet to go, though...   :paranoid:

cl94

Quote from: TR69 on November 01, 2016, 08:52:36 PM

Grand. Slam. 7-0 Cubs.  :cheers:

1995hoo

I saw the score. I'd rather watch a team for which I root, that's all.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cl94 on November 01, 2016, 09:05:28 PM
Quote from: TR69 on November 01, 2016, 08:52:36 PM

Grand. Slam. 7-0 Cubs.  :cheers:

No Andrew Miller in the 5th inning either.   :-D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Desert Man

As of 8:40pm CA time (11:40pm in Cleveland), the Cubs postponed the Indians' world series championship once again. The score Cubs 9-Tribe 3, so you know game 7 will come...the series intensifies and tomorrow's results will be epic.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

cl94

Remember, the last time the Indians were in the World Series (and lost) was the last year there were 2 ties in a single NFL season...

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Desert Man on November 01, 2016, 11:40:43 PM
As of 8:40pm CA time (11:40pm in Cleveland), the Cubs postponed the Indians' world series championship once again. The score Cubs 9-Tribe 3, so you know game 7 will come...the series intensifies and tomorrow's results will be epic.

4:40 am next day here :sombrero: (Note that DST has already ended here). And I hope the Cubs get to postpone at least one year more the Indians' championship by winning their first one in a century. Once again, I invoke the curse of Rocky Colavito.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.