News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Two Limited Access Highways Running Side-by-Side

Started by MASTERNC, July 02, 2019, 08:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrassGuy

East of Xi'an, we have G40 in close proximity to... G40?! Huaxuzhen
Lantian, Xi'an, Shaanxi, China
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9XFReE44ZFAMmH1y9
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

TheGrassGuy

I-81 and I-476 in the Scranton area also come to mind.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: mhking on July 16, 2019, 02:14:26 PM
For about a mile, I-85 runs in what is essentially the median of I-285 southwest of Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport with connector/feeder ramps outside of the two in an insane basket-weave with each other and with Ga. 14 on the west end - and an exit for Old National Highway (Ga. 279) in the middle of it all.
I-85 and GA 13 on the other side of Atlanta

CNGL-Leudimin

They already mentioned here in Europe there are lots of examples. The first one that came to my mind was AP-7 and A-2 near Barcelona.

Another example that quickly came to mind is G4 and S1 near Zhengzhou, Henan, China.
Quote from: kurumi on July 03, 2019, 11:04:25 AM
(slight derail: in Japanese, 空 means sky (or empty, etc.), and 港 means harbor. Combine them, and 空港 means airport, so Sky Harbor Airport would be 空港空港.)

Same in Chinese, but Sky Harbor Airport would be 空港机场 instead, the last two characters meaning literally "machine field".
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 26, 2019, 03:53:50 PM
East of Xi'an, we have G40 in close proximity to... G40?! Huaxuzhen
Lantian, Xi'an, Shaanxi, China
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9XFReE44ZFAMmH1y9

It's G40 and G70 nearby. Although I don't know how that is signed. Possibly the Southern, older expressway has been demoted to national highway G312, and both G40 and G70 (an useless concurrency, as G40 ends in Xi'an with G70 continuing to Yinchuan) are now in the Northern, newer expressway (a 2x4 no less, they are popping up all over China now).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

crispy93

The Belt Parkway and 278 are kind of parallel in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Also the Southern State and Sunrise Highway in Islip.

Slightly unrelated, in Pleasantville, NY, when on the southbound Taconic, northbound 9A/100 appears on the right making it look like the Taconic's carriageway is on the "wrong" side: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1244756,-73.809883,3a,69.1y,161.26h,90.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stwD1jiwAIH9cf7fW9Irgew!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

TheGrassGuy

It's not very visible from here (screw you, Google Maps), but "Middle Ring Rd South Line" in Kunshan, Jiangsu, China is a free urban-maintained limited-access highway running parallel to G2/G42, two tolled national expressways in a multiplex.
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.3437714,120.913297,12z

X99

Do limited-access at-grade expressways count? If so, I-90 and CR 1416 in Box Elder, South Dakota, the former of which replaced the latter.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: X99 on December 03, 2019, 07:50:39 PM
Do limited-access at-grade expressways count? If so, I-90 and CR 1416 in Box Elder, South Dakota, the former of which replaced the latter.
What's up with the giant median of the latter?

Roadsguy

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 03, 2019, 08:06:09 PM

The westbound lanes seem to be newer construction. Perhaps they were originally planning on running I-90 on CR 1416 and building a new eastbound carriageway in the median, with the existing carriageway becoming a frontage road for the south side.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

X99

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 03, 2019, 09:27:25 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 03, 2019, 08:06:09 PM

The westbound lanes seem to be newer construction. Perhaps they were originally planning on running I-90 on CR 1416 and building a new eastbound carriageway in the median, with the existing carriageway becoming a frontage road for the south side.
A look at Historic Aerials shows that both sides are roughly the same age. From what I heard, the wide median was put in place to allow large trucks to turn off onto other roads without their trailers blocking the through lanes.
The current plan is to rebuild the road as a three-lane undivided, I think off of the westbound carriageway, with the eastbound one removed. In my opinion, it should be five-lane undivided, since all four lanes are utilized during rush hour. Exit 63 also needs to be rebuilt since it only serves one direction, but the current plans for the interchange show 1416 with nearly all of its wide median intact, becoming a four-lane undivided road through the West Gate Road intersection and the interchange.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Some one

I-69/US 59 and Westpark Tollway are parallel for about 5-6 miles.

I-30 and Chrisholm Trail Parkway are also paralleled for a bit.

I-10 and I-45 are intertwined for a little bit in downtown Houston

TheGrassGuy

sprjus4

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 27, 2020, 08:16:56 AM
Mods, I propose a merge with this thread. It's more general.
The two topics are different.

This one is regarding two separate facilities that run near each other, the other is regarding one facility with multiple carriageways carrying different designations.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 27, 2020, 07:05:35 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 27, 2020, 08:16:56 AM
Mods, I propose a merge with this thread. It's more general.
The two topics are different.

This one is regarding two separate facilities that run near each other, the other is regarding one facility with multiple carriageways carrying different designations.
I know. But the topic of this thread has turned out to be a subtopic of my thread, and it looks like we're citing the same examples, such as I-85 and I-285 in Atlanta.

sprjus4

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 28, 2020, 06:37:22 AM
I know. But the topic of this thread has turned out to be a subtopic of my thread, and it looks like we're citing the same examples, such as I-85 and I-285 in Atlanta.
This thread was here long before the one you linked was. Also... your thread?

Ketchup99

Northern State Pkwy and I-495 on Long Island are 150 feet apart at one point.

TheStranger

Here's one that I've actually posted a lot about on these forums, yet hadn't thought of putting in this thread until now:

the South Luzon Expressway and the southern portion of the Metro Manila Skyway, in southern Metro Manila (essentially from the west edge of the city of Makati to the Alabang district in the suburb of Muntinlupa).

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Buendia+Avenue+%26+South+Superhighway,+Makati/@14.5556947,121.0089281,16.96z

It's actually an intriguing example for a few key reasons:

- the original Skyway section from Alabang to Buendia (Gil Puyat) Avenue in Makati is essentially similar in function to say the express lanes of the NJTP or the elevated HOV/bus lanes of the Harbor Freeway in south central Los Angeles (or for another example, the Dulles Toll Road vs. Dulles Greenway).  This IIRC will also be true for the segment of the Skyway being built south of Alabang.

- However, the portions of Stage 3 of the Metro Manila Skyway that exist north of Buendia Avenue (from there to the current north terminus in the Paco district of Manila, and eventually to the final north terminus in the Balintawak area of Quezon City at the North Luzon Expressway) are much more like say the Gowanus section of I-278 in Brooklyn or the former Cypress Freeway portion of I-880 in Oakland, a standalone viaduct using primarily the rights-of-way of the existing street grid below.  The permanent north terminus for SLEX is at Buendia Avenue, where it becomes the surface boulevard Osmena Highway.

- The future north terminus of the Metro Manila Skyway may be set up similarly as a median route like the SLEX segment, as I recall that the terminus won't be the Balintawak cloverleaf itself but maybe a mile north of EDSA at a separate interchange with NLEX.
Chris Sampang

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: TheStranger on February 04, 2020, 02:55:56 PM
Here's one that I've actually posted a lot about on these forums, yet hadn't thought of putting in this thread until now:

the South Luzon Expressway and the southern portion of the Metro Manila Skyway, in southern Metro Manila (essentially from the west edge of the city of Makati to the Alabang district in the suburb of Muntinlupa).

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Buendia+Avenue+%26+South+Superhighway,+Makati/@14.5556947,121.0089281,16.96z

It's actually an intriguing example for a few key reasons:

- the original Skyway section from Alabang to Buenia (Gil Puyat) Avenue in Makati is essentially similar in function to say the express lanes of the NJTP or the elevated HOV/bus lanes of the Harbor Freeway in south central Los Angeles (or for another example, the Dulles Toll Road vs. Dulles Greenway).  This IIRC will also be true for the segment of the Skyway being built south of Alabang.

- However, the portions of Stage 3 of the Metro Manila Skyway that exist north of Buendia Avenue (from there to the current north terminus in the Paco district of Manila, and eventually to the final north terminus in the Balintawak area of Quezon City at the North Luzon Expressway) are much more like say the Gowanus section of I-278 in Brooklyn or the former Cypress Freeway portion of I-880 in Oakland, a standalone viaduct using primarily the rights-of-way of the existing street grid below.  The permanent north terminus for SLEX is at Buendia Avenue, where it becomes the surface boulevard Osmena Highway.

- The future north terminus of the Metro Manila Skyway may be set up similarly as a median route like the SLEX segment, as I recall that the terminus won't be the Balintawak cloverleaf itself but maybe a mile north of EDSA at a separate interchange with NLEX.
Wowzers! So in the sections like the NJTP, there are really six lanes: two express, two local, and two service roads for each direction. Always imagined there existing some sort of setup like that somewhere, yet couldn't name a real-world example till now.

As for the type north of Buendia Ave, however, those are actually very common in Shanghai, China, and some other nearby cities. They are known as elevated roads, and they have characteristic green-on-white signs (as opposed to white-on-green for regular expressways). Here in our country, though, they're harder to find (and for good reason too :D). I guess the closest approximation you'll get to their frequency in China would be in Texas (where nearly every freeway has service roads), New York City, or New Orleans, but that isn't as true of an approximation of the majority of elevated roads in Shanghai (except for maybe the Middle Ring Rd and Wuzhou Ave, and even then, they don't have "elevated" in their correct names).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.