Two Limited Access Highways Running Side-by-Side

Started by MASTERNC, July 02, 2019, 08:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASTERNC

I was in Chicago recently traveling out on I-88 and noticed that there is a segment where I-355 runs side-by-side with I-88.  To my knowledge, I can think of only one other instance where two different limited access highways are side-by-side in such close proximity (that would be I-95 and Florida's Turnpike for a brief distance).  Can anyone else think of an example?

I know the NJ Turnpike has two parallel roads near I-78, but I still think that as one highway.

oscar

I-295 and the New Jersey Turnpike run parallel in several segments east of Camden NJ. They are close enough you can see 295 from the Turnpike.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jp the roadgeek

In Meriden, CT, I-91 runs in between the two carriageways of CT 15.  In the south end of Hartford, the two highways (CT 15 at that point being duplexed with US 5), criss-cross twice and run parallel. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

sprjus4

I-95 and I-295 around Richmond, VA - they get pretty close south of Downtown Richmond but don't actually join back for 30 or so miles.

Florida's Turnpike and I-95 are side by side for a while but then diverge. There's no direct connection between them either - very similar situation to I-295 and the NJ Turnpike.

Baltimore-Washington Pkwy and I-95 between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD. Also add US-29 north of the Intercounty Connector to that mix to create three limited-access highways parallel to each other

Here's something interesting to switch it up a bit - a 1.5 mile stretch of Tidewater Drive in Ocean View in Norfolk, VA is a 30-40s style limited-access highway, and parallel to it is the more modern I-64. Technically, it's allowed by the OP as Tidewater Drive is technically a limited-access highway.

Kulerage

I-476 and I-81 run very close to each other from Dupont and Chinchilla, PA. While in the Dupont area, the two run very close to each other for about 2 miles, sometimes no more than 100 feet away from each other

jeffandnicole

Quote from: oscar on July 02, 2019, 08:46:25 PM
I-295 and the New Jersey Turnpike run parallel in several segments east of Camden NJ. They are close enough you can see 295 from the Turnpike.

At their closest point you can't fit a football field width-wise between them.

95/FL Tpk is closer though...just a Jersey barrier between them at one point.

Big John

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 02, 2019, 08:35:54 PM
I was in Chicago recently traveling out on I-88 and noticed that there is a segment where I-355 runs side-by-side with I-88.  To my knowledge, I can think of only one other instance where two different limited access highways are side-by-side in such close proximity (that would be I-95 and Florida's Turnpike for a brief distance).  Can anyone else think of an example?

I know the NJ Turnpike has two parallel roads near I-78, but I still think that as one highway.
You were close to another pair - I-290 and I=294.

webny99

How close do they need to be? For example, would I-95 and the Merritt Pkwy be too far apart to qualify?

sprjus4

Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2019, 09:32:41 PM
How close do they need to be? For example, would I-95 and the Merritt Pkwy be too far apart to qualify?
I would count it based on my previous examples.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

It is one roadway. It's just split between the inner and outer roadways, rather than a continous 6 or 7 lane wide highway.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 02, 2019, 09:35:25 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2019, 09:32:41 PM
I would count it based on my previous examples.

That's kind of stretching it, since the closest they come are about 1 1/2 miles apart at the Milford Connector.  In that case, I would also count the Thruway and the Henry Hudson/Saw Mill between the Cross Bronx and I-287, and trifecta it with the Palisades Parkway on the other side of the Hudson.  You could even add the Bronx River and Sprain Parkways to the mix.

Add I-95 and I-895 through Baltimore City with the Fort Mac and Harbor Tunnels.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

zzcarp

So many miles and so many roads

mgk920

- I-90 (New York State Thruway) is straddled by I-790 and NY 49 and is close to NY 5S in the Utica, NY area.
- I-15 and U-69 (Legacy Parkway) run directly adjacent to each other between Salt Lake City and Ogden, UT.
- US 9 and the Garden State Parkway run directly adjacent to each other across the Raritan River at Perth Amboy, NJ.

There are numerous instances in Europe of local urban motorways directly paralleling cross-country toll motorways, especially in Italy and Spain.  Their relationships are like the situation in the Utica, NY area that I mentioned above.

Mike

TheStranger

There aren't too many California examples of this (I'm very specifically excluding closely parallel freeways like say US 101/I-280 through San Bruno, I-805 and I-5 in San Diego, or 880 and 580 through Oakland), but some do come to mind, mostly due to an older freeway being supplanted by a modern alignment nearby.

- Pacific Highway (former US 101) and I-5/San Diego Freeway near Lindbergh Field (San Diego International Airport)
- Kearny Villa Road (former US 395 and I-15) and modern I-15 through Miramar MCAS
- Oak Grove Drive (former Route 118) and the modern I-210/Foothill Freeway in Altadena

In Atlanta, Georgia, current I-85 runs parallel to the older alignment, which is now GA 13/Buford Spring Connector
Chris Sampang

KeithE4Phx

AZ 143 (Hohokam Expy) and the former AZ 153 (Sky Harbor Fwy, now S. 44th St) in Phoenix are next to each other for about 1/3 mile, spaced about a block.  ADOT decertified the latter as a state highway in 2008, but the freeway segment is still in use.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Evan_Th

I-84 and I-205 run about 600 feet apart for a little over a mile in Portland.

US 89

Quote from: mgk920 on July 02, 2019, 11:17:43 PM
- I-15 and U-69 (Legacy Parkway) run directly adjacent to each other between Salt Lake City and Ogden, UT.
Legacy is SR 67, not 69.

I'm 90% sure we've had a thread on this, but I'm not finding it.

jakeroot

I know of two examples; you can see the other freeway from either road:

1) Southwest of Meadowvale, Ontario: Hwy's 401 and 407 run side-by-side (about 120 metres apart) for about 2 kilometres.

2) Tacoma and Fife, Washington: I-5 and WA-509 are about 1/3 of a mile from each other, but intersect only using other roads.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on July 03, 2019, 12:39:48 AM
Nobody's mentioned I-95 and Florida's Turnpike north of Palm Beach.
Well, nobody except the OP...
Quote from: MASTERNC on July 02, 2019, 08:35:54 PM
I-95 and Florida's Turnpike

Quote from: US 89 on July 03, 2019, 12:39:48 AM
I'm 90% sure we've had a thread on this, but I'm not finding it.
Quote from: 1 on July 03, 2019, 06:46:08 AM
Haven't we had this thread before?

I can't find anything exact, though there is this:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2811.0

GaryV

In SE MI, I-696 runs in the median the M-10 Lodge freeway for about a mile.

1995hoo

The Belt Parkway and the Nassau Expressway come to mind, though the latter might not count due to its incomplete nature.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.