News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Should All Interstates be 6-laned?

Started by thisdj78, March 13, 2024, 12:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 16, 2024, 08:32:27 PM
Quote from: SilverMustang2011 on March 16, 2024, 08:14:16 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on March 16, 2024, 12:07:07 AM
In a magical fantasy land where highway funding is limitless, I would rather see non-freeways be brought up to freeway standard rather than wasting widening on freeways that aren't heavily trafficked.

Alternatively, I'd like to see 2-lane US Highways or major State Roads be brought up to 4 lanes from 2. It may be overkill but there's nothing as frustrating as being stuck behind a slow car or truck on a 2-lane road in a no passing zone, with traffic from the opposite direction coming when you're in a passing zone. I would start with 2-lane sections on a road that's mainly 4 lanes (I.E. Florida State Road 60 between Indian Lake Estates and Yeehaw Junction)

Highways shouldn't add lanes due to your frustrations.
Crazy how many states have added passing lanes on rural highways for... this very reason  :-o :-o

epzik8

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 17, 2024, 01:46:50 AM
In a magical fantasy land where highway funding is limitless, I would rather see non-freeways be brought up to freeway standard rather than wasting widening on freeways that aren't heavily trafficked.

Alternatively, I'd like to see 2-lane US Highways or major State Roads be brought up to 4 lanes from 2. It may be overkill but there's nothing as frustrating as being stuck behind a slow car or truck on a 2-lane road in a no passing zone, with traffic from the opposite direction coming when you're in a passing zone. I would start with 2-lane sections on a road that's mainly 4 lanes (I.E. Florida State Road 60 between Indian Lake Estates and Yeehaw Junction)

Crazy how many states have added passing lanes on rural highways for... this very reason  :-o :-o

To satisfy people's personal whims?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Big John

SEWIGuy

They have added passing lanes in certain high traffic areas where traffic can back up on two lane highways. These are situations where traffic levels don't rise to expansion to a four lane highway. 

That's very different than expanding major US and state two-lane highways to four lanes because of driver frustration. I mean I spent most of my adult life taking a relatively major two lane highway to work, and was oftentimes frustrated getting stuck behind a truck...or a slow driver...or farm equipment. In fact those instances outnumbered the times where I could go 63 in a 55 mph zone the entire way without slowing down. But at no point did I think "this should be four lanes" or "this should have passing lanes." It would have been a gigantic waste of resources.

Sometimes you're just going to be frustrated with traffic.  Whether its grandma going exactly 55 mph on a two lane highway with five cars lining up behind her, or a truck going 66 mph passing another one going 65 mph on an interstate. 

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 17, 2024, 10:40:37 AM

They have added passing lanes in certain high traffic areas where traffic can back up on two lane highways. These are situations where traffic levels don't rise to expansion to a four lane highway. 

That's very different than expanding major US and state two-lane highways to four lanes because of driver frustration. I mean I spent most of my adult life taking a relatively major two lane highway to work, and was oftentimes frustrated getting stuck behind a truck...or a slow driver...or farm equipment. In fact those instances outnumbered the times where I could go 63 in a 55 mph zone the entire way without slowing down. But at no point did I think "this should be four lanes" or "this should have passing lanes." It would have been a gigantic waste of resources.

Sometimes you're just going to be frustrated with traffic.  Whether its grandma going exactly 55 mph on a two lane highway with five cars lining up behind her, or a truck going 66 mph passing another one going 65 mph on an interstate. 

One other thing...we live in a world of limited resources. So sometimes the DOT's priorities don't align with ours. And that's OK too.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 17, 2024, 11:01:12 AM

One other thing...we live in a world of limited resources. So sometimes the DOT's priorities don't align with ours. And that's OK too.

And someone that doesn't travel every road of their state at all times won't see issues they're not familiar with. Their 2 minute delay because of a slow passing vehicle at a random location the one time in the past 3 years they travelled the road won't compare to a daily 15 minute delay with an accident rate 4x above normal. DOTs can't fix everything to perfection, but they're going to try to work on reasonable solutions to reasonable problems 

paulthemapguy

It's important to focus on the role played by each individual mile of road. Generalized approaches like this won't be very helpful imo.  Even when discussing different pieces of the Interstate Highway System, different stretches of roadway have wildly variable levels of traffic demand. And once a highway gets any wider than 6 lanes, other transportations modes besides roadways should be heavily considered, anyways.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Plutonic Panda

Why shouldn't they align with ours? They are there to serve the public are they not?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 17, 2024, 04:58:34 PM

Why shouldn't they align with ours? They are there to serve the public are they not?

I meant ours as individuals. Not the collective will of the public. (Supported by data and balanced by available resources of course.)

michiganguy123

Or even actual left/right turn lanes at intersections so no one has to brake. Countless times where I've had to go from 60mph down to 0mph just because of one single turning car.

kkt

Quote from: michiganguy123 on March 17, 2024, 08:18:41 PM

Or even actual left/right turn lanes at intersections so no one has to brake. Countless times where I've had to go from 60mph down to 0mph just because of one single turning car.

Yep.  The Mackenzie Highway does that.  Two travel lanes, but at any intersection, even just a private driveway, there's a right and left turn lane into it.  Through traffic doesn't slow down.

Rothman

Public lacks a statewide perspective.  That's why DOTs need to bring expertise to bear to prioritize projects given limited resources.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

If all interstates are to be six lanes than I-16 would be a total waste. I-49 north of Alexandria, LA also would be.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

The public often doesn't have a single aligned priority. If you have the desire to see every interstate widened, and your neighbor has the desire to see no more expansion and a focus on mass transit instead, someone's gonna be unhappy.

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 18, 2024, 07:57:42 AM

The public often doesn't have a single aligned priority. If you have the desire to see every interstate widened, and your neighbor has the desire to see no more expansion and a focus on mass transit instead, someone's gonna be unhappy.
Or...you think a tunnel should be built in the middle of a city and the city's residents disagree with you... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

Quote from: Rothman on March 18, 2024, 09:12:17 AM

Or...you think a tunnel should be built in the middle of a city and the city's residents disagree with you... :D
Depends on the situation. In Austin, TX, expansion of I-35 is sorely needed and carries high traffic volumes. The city residents oppose it but Texas is still going forth with the project.

In the case of Syracuse, the traffic volumes don't warrant it, so they're not doing it. It varies project by project, case by case.

Plutonic Panda

I thought Austin had changed its tune and now supports the project?

sprjus4

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 18, 2024, 07:36:21 PM
I thought Austin had changed its tune and now supports the project?
There will still always be the opposition crowd.

kphoger

Should all roads everywhere be 6-laned?  :hmmm:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

michravera

Quote from: kphoger on March 19, 2024, 10:58:56 AM
Should all roads everywhere be 6-laned?  :hmmm:

I-80 in California is mostly 6 or more lanes from beginning to Forest Hill and frequently needs more. From Forest Hill, CA to Lincoln, NE it's mostly 4 lanes and it barely needs that. Similar things happen on I-15, -25, and -35. One size doesn't fit all. Not in swim trunks or Interstate Highways.

kphoger

I'd like to see 2-lane US Highways or major State Roads be brought up to 4 lanes from 2. It may be overkill but there's nothing as frustrating as being stuck behind a slow car or truck on a 2-lane road in a no passing zone, with traffic from the opposite direction coming when you're in a passing zone.

Yes, there is.  It's more frustrating to be stuck behind two slow cars or trucks that are side by side on a 4-lane road, with no ability to get around them even though the entire stretch of highway is one big passing zone.

For example, on busy 2-lane highways with periodic passing lanes, such as US-400 in southeastern Kansas, sometimes the number of slow vehicles in front of me is too many for everyone to pass everyone else, and then I still end up stuck behind one or two slow vehicles by the end of the passing lane.  This would be solved by 6-laning these highways:  then I wouldn't be stuck behind someone else who's trying to pass someone else.

And that's why all roads everywhere should be 6-laned.  I think this is needed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

But what if you get stuck behind a person who's passing another person who's passing a slow person in the right lane?  Clearly 8 lanes are needed.  You might be held up by as much as five minutes passing at only the speed limit!

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 19, 2024, 03:42:44 PM
... then I wouldn't be stuck behind someone else who's trying to pass someone else.

That's a very generous assumption in many cases.

pderocco

Well, at least Jeff and Nicole agree.

hobsini2

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 13, 2024, 10:50:46 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on March 13, 2024, 02:13:58 AMI-80 from the Quad Cities to I-39 and rural I-55 (except for the Bloomington-Normal, Springfield and Metro St Louis areas) are OK as 4-lanes.

I-55 between IL 104 and IL 157 needs to go to at least six lanes, with auxiliary lanes in the Troy area.  It's very noticeable how much traffic flow improves or degrades at IL 104 where the existing six lane section ends.
I would even say I-80 through the Illinois Valley area (IL 26 to IL 71) could warrant 6 lanes. You have Princeton, Spring Valley, Peru, La Salle, Utica and Ottawa all lined up on that stretch. Those 6 cities combine for over 53k.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.