News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) complete collapse after large ship hits it

Started by rickmastfan67, March 26, 2024, 04:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

1995hoo

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 07, 2024, 08:15:37 PMThe Federal Register is proposing the removal of the bridge from the National Network until it is rebuilt and the designation of the alternative route around the city

https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/2024-10025/emergency-temporary-closure-segment-of-interstate-695-including-the-francis-scott-key-bridge-in

It's not the Federal Register proposing it, it's the Federal Highway Administration. The Federal Register is simply a government-wide compilation of agency rules, proposed rules, and notices.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

davewiecking

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 07, 2024, 08:15:37 PMThe Federal Register is proposing the removal of the bridge from the National Network until it is rebuilt and the designation of the alternative route around the city

https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/2024-10025/emergency-temporary-closure-segment-of-interstate-695-including-the-francis-scott-key-bridge-in
There will be a public comment period once the document is officially published.

Everyone one this forum will be required to submit a comment "it's not I-695!"

1995hoo

Quote from: davewiecking on May 07, 2024, 09:16:38 PM

There will be a public comment period once the document is officially published.

Everyone one this forum will be required to submit a comment "it's not I-695!"

Interestingly, it addresses that in a footnote.

vdeane

What is the point in removing 695 from the National Network (is this the NHS or something else?  It seems unclear) for a temporary closure?

Quote from: FHWAThe portion of I-695 that includes the Francis Scott Key Bridge is a part of the National Highway System
(NHS) and was officially incorporated into the Interstate System effective April 29, 2024
Interesting.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on May 07, 2024, 09:26:46 PMWhat is the point in removing 695 from the National Network (is this the NHS or something else?  It seems unclear) for a temporary closure?

It's something else, per the FHWA.

Henry

May I direct your attention to the new Key Bridge?

And here's the full story below, via the accompanying article:

QuoteWeBuild, with its US subsidiary Lane, has unveiled a proposal for the Francis Scott Key Bridge reconstruction design and planning in Baltimore.

The initiative follows the collapse of the bridge last March, which resulted in loss of lives and disrupted a crucial maritime connection.

WeBuild's proposal, a cable-stayed bridge design, has been developed in collaboration with Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor and architect Carlo Ratti and French structural engineer Michel Virlogeux.

This new structure is expected to ensure maximum safety for both vehicular traffic and navigation for larger ships, focusing on enhanced safety, adaptability, and sustainability.

The design anticipates a navigable clearance of 213ft, more than the previous bridge, and an expanded bridge span of approximately 2,300ft.

The main pylons are planned to be positioned in shallower waters, away from the navigation channel.

In response to increased traffic, the proposal includes a wider carriageway, adding one lane in each direction and expanding emergency lanes.

The new bridge will also incorporate smart features for improved traffic management and the application of predictive maintenance techniques.

Carlo Ratti said: "Opting for a cable-stayed solution enables the piles to be positioned at a safe distance, well away from the navigation channel used by large vessels and hence preventing the risk of a tragedy such as the one of March 26 happening again.

"This approach also provides a light-weight solution to reconnect two sides of Baltimore, both socially and economically - what American infrastructure should be striving to do in the 21st century."

The project will further include the use of materials that aim to preserve the Patapsco River's ecosystem.

Webuild CEO Pietro Salini said: "We will take part, on 7 May, in the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA)'s Virtual Industry Forum for the reconstruction of the bridge, and we are ready to help in any way we can at this stage in the spirit of pro bono service.

"The design concept of the bridge that we have been working on incessantly during this last month will represent a key contribution towards the design and reconstruction or new construction of the bridge."

Last month, Lane was awarded a $110m contract to construct the Newport News Segment of the Interstate (I)-64 Hampton Roads Express Lanes in Hampton, Virginia.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Henry on May 07, 2024, 10:07:03 PM

Even though it's just a first pitch by some entity, I have to imagine the eventual replacement will basically look like this. 
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MASTERNC

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 08, 2024, 11:50:03 AM

Even though it's just a first pitch by some entity, I have to imagine the eventual replacement will basically look like this. 

Especially given the safety "lessons learned" will be to place the piers out of the shipping channel like this bridge would

plain

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 08, 2024, 01:13:42 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 08, 2024, 11:50:03 AM

Especially given the safety "lessons learned" will be to place the piers out of the shipping channel like this bridge would

Yes, and a wider horizontal clearance will also allow ships and other boats to pass in each direction simultaneously. Or is just a narrow lane dredged to 50ft there? I'm on my phone, do anyone have a nautical chart handy they can post?
Newark born, Richmond bred

The Ghostbuster

I think all remaining four-lane segments on the Baltimore Beltway should be expanded to six lanes. The four-lane segments may not be as heavily traveled as other segments of 695, but since the new bridge will be six lanes, the rest of the beltway should be at least six lanes as well.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 08, 2024, 02:48:38 PMI think all remaining four-lane segments on the Baltimore Beltway should be expanded to six lanes. The four-lane segments may not be as heavily traveled as other segments of 695, but since the new bridge will be six lanes, the rest of the beltway should be at least six lanes as well.

Widening the highway would be dependent on traffic volumes at those specific areas. The bridge's width has nothing to do with the width of the roadway elsewhere.

J N Winkler

Quote from: plain on May 08, 2024, 01:43:07 PMYes, and a wider horizontal clearance will also allow ships and other boats to pass in each direction simultaneously. Or is just a narrow lane dredged to 50ft there? I'm on my phone, does anyone have a nautical chart handy they can post?

Here's an extract from the relevant nautical chart:

The shipping channel has a nominal width of 1100 feet and, per the legend (not included in this extract), a nominal depth of 50 feet.  The chart does not otherwise specify the cross-section of the channel at the bridge.

The Unified Command has said, IIRC, that they do plan to clear it so that it can again handle two-way traffic.

The channel ran essentially from one inside face of one main pier to the inside face of the other.  Increasing main span length would buy more margin for error by allowing the new piers and their defenses to be positioned well outside the area used for navigation.  At Tampa Bay, the piers for the Sunshine Skyway are positioned on artificial islands that just border the channel (which is only 43 feet deep) on their inside edges.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.