News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-90 / Mass Pike Signing Work

Started by bob7374, August 14, 2015, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kramie13

I have a bone to pick about this sign replacement project:

WHY are the new Mass. Pike signs OVERHEAD, particularly west of I-84 when the highway is only 2 lanes?  It ruins the view in some places!  This same blunder happened on Rte. 2 west of Fitchburg!  I liked the fact that the Pike had ground-mounted exit signs for 1 mile and 1/2 mile approaching the exit.

hotdogPi

MassDOT likes overhead signs, even when they're not needed.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

PHLBOS

Quote from: kramie13 on February 05, 2020, 11:37:35 AM

WHY are the new Mass. Pike signs OVERHEAD, particularly west of I-84 when the highway is only 2 lanes?  It ruins the view in some places!  This same blunder happened on Rte. 2 west of Fitchburg!  I liked the fact that the Pike had ground-mounted exit signs for 1 mile and 1/2 mile approaching the exit.
Quote from: 1 on February 05, 2020, 11:40:12 AM
IIRC, MassDOT's reasoning for using overhead signs on all divided highways was to eliminate tree/brush clearing maintenance often associated with ground-mounted signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 05, 2020, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: kramie13 on February 05, 2020, 11:37:35 AM

Quote from: 1 on February 05, 2020, 11:40:12 AM
IIRC, MassDOT's reasoning for using overhead signs on all divided highways was to eliminate tree/brush clearing maintenance often associated with ground-mounted signs.

MassDOT's principal reasons for overhead mounting of guide signs on all divided highways are improved visibility, less overall wear than with ground-mounted signs, reduced possibility of damage as compared to overhead signs, and, as you noted, reduced maintenance costs due to no need for clearing and thinning.  Also, as I've noted in other posts, in Massachusetts, all but the most minimal clearing and thinning activities need a review by the local conservation commissions.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

shadyjay

Meanwhile, CT is taking the opposite approach, mounting more and more guide signs on ground supports, even on urban 3-lane highways, presumably to cut down on the number of supports which need regular inspection.  Some supports in CT are nearing 40 years of age, carrying signs which are 30 years old.  They're gradually being replaced, but its going to take a minute.

I agree.  It seems strange to seen an overhead sign especially in the 30 mile no exit zone in the Berkshires, or even on I-91 north of Northampton. 

cl94

Quote from: shadyjay on February 05, 2020, 04:52:32 PM
I agree.  It seems strange to seen an overhead sign especially in the 30 mile no exit zone in the Berkshires

The Berkshires ones I actually get more than some of the others. Signs on that stretch are lacking period and most of what exists is for grades, a runaway truck ramp, and a service plaza. The first 2 should be overheads anyway and the third set is ground-mounted. I would argue that the 30-mile gap is a reason TO make the signs for Exits 2 and 3 overheads as well. Miss those exits and you'll be spending an hour backtracking.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Mergingtraffic

Some supports in CT are nearing 40 years of age, carrying signs which are 30 years old. 

Not to get off topic but I am for this one post.  CT replaced signs in the 80's with reflective button copy and some of the signs that were replaced weren't even that old...not even 10 years in some spots.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadman

Meanwhile, CT is taking the opposite approach, mounting more and more guide signs on ground supports, even on urban 3-lane highways, presumably to cut down on the number of supports which need regular inspection.

IMO, that's a pretty poor reason to be eliminating overhead signs.  As the saying goes, penny wise and pound foolish.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman on February 06, 2020, 09:43:34 AM
Meanwhile, CT is taking the opposite approach, mounting more and more guide signs on ground supports, even on urban 3-lane highways, presumably to cut down on the number of supports which need regular inspection.

IMO, that's a pretty poor reason to be eliminating overhead signs.  As the saying goes, penny wise and pound foolish.

This state is bass ackwards.  How else do you explain the state going to reflective button copy with non-filled in state shields on its signage on sign projects in the 80's and 90's when states were moving away from it (VT had signs like that in the 1960's).  Also, while MA and RI are changing exit numbers over a 2 year span, CT will end up taking 16 years to do it if we consider that they started with I-395 and CT 2A in 2014 and won't do I-95 until 2030 or later.  I'll refrain from other local issues here, though.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vdeane

Quote from: roadman on February 06, 2020, 09:43:34 AM

If they don't have the same tree trimming hurdles MA has (or has in-house maintenance that bothers to take care of it before it becomes an issue), they might not have the reason to take on the additional expense of installing, inspecting, and eventually replacing the gantry.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

storm2k

Meanwhile, CT is taking the opposite approach, mounting more and more guide signs on ground supports, even on urban 3-lane highways, presumably to cut down on the number of supports which need regular inspection.  Some supports in CT are nearing 40 years of age, carrying signs which are 30 years old.  They're gradually being replaced, but its going to take a minute.

I agree.  It seems strange to seen an overhead sign especially in the 30 mile no exit zone in the Berkshires, or even on I-91 north of Northampton. 

Or you can be NJDOT, have to take a gantry down because it's in bad shape, and just leave it there with nothing in its place for years. I'm looking at you I-280 westbound at Exit 5B. Or 295 in various places south of Trenton where they took down gantries and just put up ground mount signs on flimsy wooden posts for a long time.

roadman

Quote from: storm2k on February 07, 2020, 01:38:15 PM

Or you can be NJDOT, have to take a gantry down because it's in bad shape, and just leave it there with nothing in its place for years. I'm looking at you I-280 westbound at Exit 5B. Or 295 in various places south of Trenton where they took down gantries and just put up ground mount signs on flimsy wooden posts for a long time.

Or you can just take the damaged gantry and signs down, but never replace them.   https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6336.msg139183#msg139183

bob7374

Finally got around to capture two of the latest signs going up on, or just off the Mass. Pike. Here's the overhead BGSs westbound at the Auburn exit:

Here is the new signs and gantry at the end of I-84 in Sturbridge (capable of sustaining 130 MPH winds):

I have posted some additional new sign finds on my I-90/Mass Pike Gallery:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html

fwydriver405

Has this sign at exit 6 (future 51) been updated yet? Forgot to check on my way to Albany NY on 11 January and Stony Brook NY on 22 February... wonder what's taking them so long to put the new signs up especially since the surrounding signs were already updated...

Beeper1

As of last week, the button copy at Exit 6 is still there.  No sign of any replacement activity here in over a year.

Beeper1

Has something happened that totally derailed this contract?  Was on the Pike in western MA recently and the Exit 6 button copy is still there, and no new work seems to be ongoing anywhere. Town Line signs are still missing and many regulatory signs still need replacement.

bob7374

Quote from: Beeper1 on September 23, 2020, 11:06:25 PM
Has something happened that totally derailed this contract?  Was on the Pike in western MA recently and the Exit 6 button copy is still there, and no new work seems to be ongoing anywhere. Town Line signs are still missing and many regulatory signs still need replacement.
The MassDOT listing still says the project will be completed in the Summer of 2020. Perhaps the contractor is too busy gearing up for the Exit Renumbering project to finish the I-90 work. Its unlikely the final signs on I-90 will be installed during exit renumbering since that contractor (Liddell Bros.) is different from the contractor for the I-90 project (Roadsafe Systems).

vdeane

Maybe they want to coordinate the exit 6 button copy replacement with the exit renumbering, and would rather do the remainder of the signs around the same time to maximize efficiency?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SidS1045

Quote from: Beeper1 on March 23, 2020, 09:03:56 PM
As of last week, the button copy at Exit 6 is still there.  No sign of any replacement activity here in over a year.

Went through there today, and the new signs are up.  The exit 5 sign on that gantry was replaced by a pull-through.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

shadyjay

Aargh!  I was just up there today and debated going to check for it, since here was a report recently that it was not replaced.  Oh well, next time!

southshore720

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 02, 2020, 09:36:22 PM

Went through there today, and the new signs are up.  The exit 5 sign on that gantry was replaced by a pull-through.
I need to see this unicorn to believe it... :-D  If this miracle happened, maybe we'll finally get the remainder of the MA-24/I-195 concurrency signage!

roadman

Quote from: southshore720 on October 03, 2020, 06:53:04 PM

I need to see this unicorn to believe it... :-D  If this miracle happened, maybe we'll finally get the remainder of the MA-24/I-195 concurrency signage!

That is in the works.  MassDOT Project # 609299 FALL RIVER- WESTPORT- INSTALLATION OF SIGN PANELS AND SUPPORTS AT EIGHT LOCATIONS ON I-195 AND ROUTE 24.  Contractor has been given notice to proceed.

shadyjay

Quote from: southshore720 on October 03, 2020, 06:53:04 PM

I spotted the unicorn, and lensed it for prosperity....

DSC01973 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

he-does-exist by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

The Ghostbuster

I look forward to the day when the exit sign in the picture says Exit 51/Old Exit 6.

roadman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 14, 2020, 02:57:31 PM
I look forward to the day when the exit sign in the picture says Exit 51/Old Exit 6.
The Massachusetts "OLD EXIT" signs will be placed only with the first advance sign (strapped to the upright of the structure) and the exit gore sign (mounted underneath the gore sign) for the interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.