News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Found some more neutered interstate shields along I-20/I-59 back in October:
I-20/I-59/US 11/AL 5 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
I-20/I-59/US 11/AL 5 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

ttownfeen

The Anniston eastern bypass/431 realigment went active about two weeks ago. The new exit signs in Oxford reflecting the realignment of 431 have also been unveiled. Google maps shows the bypass as open but doesn't reflect the 431 reroute. I emailed them the correction.

Still think it's weird that signage on I-20 for the 431 S exit (exit 191) gives no control cities, almost as if 431 goes into a black hole south of Oxford. I know Roanoke is not most happenin' place, but still.

ttownfeen

Here's a map showing the eventual routing for the Montgomery Outer Loop (MOP).

ttownfeen

I don't know how I missed this, but ALDOT plans on revamping McFarland Blvd (US 82/SR 6) through the Tuscaloosa-Northport metro.

The project will take place entirely within the existing ROW, so no new lanes, but there will be a massive reduction in median cuts between signalized intersections. The ones that remain will be for turning off McFarland only. All entering traffic between major intersections will be right-turn only. However with the added space, turn lanes at vital crossing will be extended--in some cases widened-- and refited to allow for u-turns.  Some intersections will be outright eliminated.

Also ALDOT plans to install "smarter" traffic lights to manage overall flow of McFarland.

http://rp.dot.state.al.us/US82/

Maps on the site.

codyg1985

Quote from: ttownfeen on January 06, 2016, 04:18:45 AM
The Anniston eastern bypass/431 realigment went active about two weeks ago. The new exit signs in Oxford reflecting the realignment of 431 have also been unveiled. Google maps shows the bypass as open but doesn't reflect the 431 reroute. I emailed them the correction.

Still think it's weird that signage on I-20 for the 431 S exit (exit 191) gives no control cities, almost as if 431 goes into a black hole south of Oxford. I know Roanoke is not most happenin' place, but still.

I saw the signage plans for the project showing AL 1 shields. Did you happen to see any?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

codyg1985

Quote from: ttownfeen on January 06, 2016, 05:57:45 AM
I don't know how I missed this, but ALDOT plans on revamping McFarland Blvd (US 82/SR 6) through the Tuscaloosa-Northport metro.

The project will take place entirely within the existing ROW, so no new lanes, but there will be a massive reduction in median cuts between signalized intersections. The ones that remain will be for turning off McFarland only. All entering traffic between major intersections will be right-turn only. However with the added space, turn lanes at vital crossing will be extended--in some cases widened-- and refited to allow for u-turns.  Some intersections will be outright eliminated.

Also ALDOT plans to install "smarter" traffic lights to manage overall flow of McFarland.

Maps on the site.

It is similar to what was done for US 280 in Birmingham. I think it is a great idea. There is also a plan to do this treatment for US 72 in Huntsville and Madison.
Cody Goodman

ttownfeen

No I didn't get a chance to actually drive on the bypass this time. The next time I go through Anniston I will though.

BamaZeus

Quote from: ttownfeen on January 06, 2016, 05:57:45 AM

Maps on the site.

I work on McFarland in Northport, and my wife works on campus 50 feet from the intersection with McFarland.  Anything to make traffic smoother would be great.  It was fantastic when UA doubled the student population in under 20 years, but the infrastructure to support all those extra cars just isn't there yet.

lordsutch

The road eventually goes to Opelika; that'd be a reasonable alternative control city.

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 06, 2016, 07:05:06 AM

I saw the signage plans for the project showing AL 1 shields. Did you happen to see any?

I drove it yesterday.  Did not see any AL 1 shields.

bdmoss88

The Ghostbuster

Maybe it will be another 30 years before the rest of the project is completed.

Charles2

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 26, 2016, 04:34:15 PM
Maybe it will be another 30 years before the rest of the projet is completed.

If ALDOT moves as fast to complete the Outer Loop as they have to complete I-22, I'm guessing that it will be 2065. :)

Georgia

Driving out to Mississippi on Tuesday and I saw ALDOT survey crews surveying I-20 just west of the Coosa River bridge, dare i dream of a 3 laned 20 all the way through eastern Bama? 

now if only GDOT D6 would widen from Villa Rica to the state line; then again, they are lucky if they get any money period.

codyg1985

At one time I think the plan for the I-20 Coosa River Bridge was to build an entirely new set of bridges to the south of the existing ones that would accommodate six lanes in each direction. I am not sure why nor am I sure if that is still the plan. ALDOT hasn't really got any upcoming projects in the next couple of years to widen I-20 elsewhere that I know of.
Cody Goodman

The Ghostbuster

Are there any segments where Interstate 20 should be expanded?

Charles2

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 29, 2016, 04:59:08 PM
Are there any segments where Interstate 20 should be expanded?

Almost of I-20 is at least six lanes wide (or under construction to be six lanes wide) from Exit 132 on Birmingham's east side to the Georgia state line, meaning that there is only a two mile segment from the I-59 split that isn't.  As a part of I-59, work is underway adding lanes in each direction between mp 75 and 80, east of Tuscaloosa.  From mp 80 to I-459 (Exit 106) near Bessemer, I-20/59 is already six lanes.

Aside from the two-mile stretch between U.S. 82 and where construction ends in Tuscaloosa, the most glaring need, at least in my opinion, is between I-459 and Exit 118 in Fairfield, a stretch of about 12 miles.  Between Exit 100 and Exit 108, 20/59 was built on top of US 11, converting a four lane expressway to a limited access route.  Between mp 106 and 118, medians are narrow, curves are tight, and merging lanes are inadequate. 

lordsutch

Quote from: Charles2 on January 29, 2016, 05:25:27 PM
Almost of I-20 is at least six lanes wide (or under construction to be six lanes wide) from Exit 132 on Birmingham's east side to the Georgia state line, meaning that there is only a two mile segment from the I-59 split that isn't.

Patently untrue. In addition to the Coosa River bridge crossing to exit 173 (about 8 miles), which has no evidence of construction at present, there's also the section from exit 188 to exit 205 which has only been resurfaced and isn't being widened. Exit 205-exit 210 is already widened to six lanes with the left lane in each direction blocked off (and has been for months), despite signage and striping being in place for it to be opened last summer.* Exit 210 to the state line is the only actual widening underway today, presumably because they have to replace the pavement anyway before it kills another motorist.

* This was as of three weeks ago. Knowing ALDOT, it will still be that way for at least another year.

jdb1234

Quote from: lordsutch on January 29, 2016, 05:43:19 PM
. Exit 205-exit 210 is already widened to six lanes with the left lane in each direction blocked off (and has been for months), despite signage and striping being in place for it to be opened last summer.* Exit 210 to the state line is the only actual widening underway today, presumably because they have to replace the pavement anyway before it kills another motorist.

* This was as of three weeks ago. Knowing ALDOT, it will still be that way for at least another year.

All lanes were open on I-20 between Exits 205 and 210 the last time I drove it back on 1/13.

lordsutch

Quote from: jdb1234 on January 29, 2016, 06:04:42 PM
. Exit 205-exit 210 is already widened to six lanes with the left lane in each direction blocked off (and has been for months), despite signage and striping being in place for it to be opened last summer.* Exit 210 to the state line is the only actual widening underway today, presumably because they have to replace the pavement anyway before it kills another motorist.

All lanes were open on I-20 between Exits 205 and 210 the last time I drove it back on 1/13.
Nice of ALDOT to wait until after holiday traffic would have benefited from the capacity (and restoring the normal speed limit).

Charles2

Quote from: Charles2 on January 29, 2016, 05:25:27 PM
Almost of I-20 is at least six lanes wide (or under construction to be six lanes wide) from Exit 132 on Birmingham's east side to the Georgia state line, meaning that there is only a two mile segment from the I-59 split that isn't.

Patently untrue. In addition to the Coosa River bridge crossing to exit 173 (about 8 miles), which has no evidence of construction at present, there's also the section from exit 188 to exit 205 which has only been resurfaced and isn't being widened. Exit 205-exit 210 is already widened to six lanes with the left lane in each direction blocked off (and has been for months), despite signage and striping being in place for it to be opened last summer.* Exit 210 to the state line is the only actual widening underway today, presumably because they have to replace the pavement anyway before it kills another motorist.

"Patently untrue?"  No, just an honest mistake.

freebrickproductions

Cullman's bad signage was recently the topic of this post on this blog about bad roadway management:
http://betterroadwaysafety.blogspot.com/2016/03/deficient-safety-standards-spotlight.html

Of course, I was the one who supplied the pictures to them for the post. Just thought I'd share it here if anyone wanted to discuss it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

rcm195

Uh, most of those pictures you posted, if you can't read and deduct what there meaning is, you don't need to be driving.

froggie

IMO, a far more dangerous aspect of Alabama's roadways is the state's utter inability to do access management.

davewiecking

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 11, 2016, 09:05:46 PM
Cullman's bad signage was recently the topic of this post on this blog about bad roadway management:
http://betterroadwaysafety.blogspot.com/2016/03/deficient-safety-standards-spotlight.html

Of course, I was the one who supplied the pictures to them for the post. Just thought I'd share it here if anyone wanted to discuss it.
The Sign Salad one about halfway down-is the North31 hanging over the asphalt?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.