News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 27, 2023, 08:10:05 PM
Cody G

Love your posts. What are your top 5 interstate improvements needed in Alabama?

OT a Buc'ees in NW Alabama would do wonders for the local residents up there along IH 22

I'd say the top interstate project is a big one but it would be widening I-65 to three lanes at a minimum throughout the state, especially south of Athens to Montgomery.

The I-10 Mobile River Bridge and Bayway would be my second priority.

After that, the next one would be finishing widening I-20 between Birmingham and the Georgia state line.

Then I'd propose a new interstate between Montgomery and I-10 in the Florida panhandle, parallelling US 231.

I'd then say widening I-10 throughout Mobile and Baldwin counties would be my last project.

As for Buc-ees along I-22, I really don't think there is enough traffic along I-22 to justify a Buc-ees there.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Tomahawkin

Good suggestions! 65 south of Birmingham and down past needs a total overhaul with toll lanes if need be, but I'm probably sure that toll roads in the state are outlawed like they are in Arkansas which is the Dumbest #### for states that need the revenue to address road issues. Most money generated through tolls come from vacation goers who are headed to and from Florida. I don't see a interstate from Montgomery, SE to the Florida panhandle happening. I think what is there now is efficient enough but then again, I have avoided peak spring break traffic for years, therefore I never get caught in it...

codyg1985

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 28, 2023, 03:52:52 PM
Good suggestions! 65 south of Birmingham and down past needs a total overhaul with toll lanes if need be, but I'm probably sure that toll roads in the state are outlawed like they are in Arkansas which is the Dumbest #### for states that need the revenue to address road issues. Most money generated through tolls come from vacation goers who are headed to and from Florida. I don't see a interstate from Montgomery, SE to the Florida panhandle happening. I think what is there now is efficient enough but then again, I have avoided peak spring break traffic for years, therefore I never get caught in it...

Alabama has toll facilities already in Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, and at Gulf Shores. To my knowledge I haven't heard of toll lanes being considered in Alabama yet. I would certainly not like there to be toll lanes in rural areas. I could see toll lanes maybe working along I-65 between I-459 and I-20/59, but that would be about it. The current plan is to toll the I-1o Mobile River Bridge. Unfortunately, that is probably the only way that project moves forward.
Cody Goodman

asdfjkll

https://www.dot.state.al.us/news/opmSTPAA0216(506).html In addition to the DDI happening at exit 104, another DDI is proposed at Exit 100 where Highway 216 meets I-20/59. The DDI designs are nearly identical, with a few differences (extra left turn lane on the northbound exit ramp, 2 thru lanes on both sides instead of just the east side). Also, unlike Exit 104 where a new bridge would be built next to the existing bridge, Exit 100's bridge will be completely replaced as part of this project. Exit 97 would be another exit I would consider converting into a DDI, due to probably higher left turn volumes, especially if there is a major crash downstream between exits 79 and 97 that shuts down all lanes of the interstate.

asdfjkll

https://www.dot.state.al.us/news/opmRACR028759002PE.html SR-759 extension is back in public involvement once again! The alignment hasn't changed, same exact properties being acquired and bulldozed for it, all that was changed since the last time public involvement was done is the following:
- Concrete Median is replaced with Grass Median
- Left and right turns lanes added on East Broad Street where it intersects the 759 extension. The 2022 rendering did not have turn lanes on Broad Street.
- Two bridges added over a tributary to the Coosa River at the west end of the project. The 2022 version did not have such bridges.
- Right turn slip lanes in the project are of the new standard design as depicted in drawing no. 70136 on the 2023 Special and Standard Drawings: https://alletting.dot.state.al.us/Docs/Standard_Drawings/2023%20English/70100.pdf . The 2022 version had the old right turn slip lane designs seen throughout the state. For a live example of the new right turn channelizing/slip lane design see the I-85 westbound exit ramp at Eastern Boulevard in Montgomery.

The Ghostbuster

Is the AL 759 extension going to be constructed? It seems like a lot of condemnation will need to be done to construct it, and I could easily see strong opposition coming from those who would have to be relocated.

Georgia

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 15, 2023, 09:56:49 PM
Is the AL 759 extension going to be constructed? It seems like a lot of condemnation will need to be done to construct it, and I could easily see strong opposition coming from those who would have to be relocated.

they are mostly poors, they dont matter ;)
also, they probably wont be able to afford good counsel to delay the project.

Voyager75

https://1819news.com/news/item/aldot-gulf-shores-mayor-craft-applaud-alabama-supreme-court-decision-on-new-intercoastal-waterway-bridge-an-important-victory

Looks like the bridge project in Gulf Shores will be resumed barring appeal.

Went through there yesterday...paying $2.75 to sit in a 20 car deep line at the toll gate is no different than going down AL-59 and sitting in slightly more traffic for free.

On a related note, traffic improvements have begun around the AL-59/AL-180 intersection to eliminate left turns and go with the protected U-turn option.

Also I expect the Beach Express to be useless in the next 5 years anyway as the OWA project looks to grow more and more. Money is the answer but why they didn't put interchanges at US-98, CR-20, CR-12 and CR-8 to plan for future growth is baffling. Eliminating those traffic lights with the new free bridge would make it a 15 minute drive from the Baldwin Beach Express end to AL-180.

Also were there any plans to make the Baldwin/Foley Beach intersection a continuous route instead of a traffic light and left turn for Baldwin Beach traffic? Did Foley not want their portion to be renamed to make the entire route from I-10 to AL-180 be one name or number like AL-whatever?

ttownfeen

This is Alabama, planning for the future is libuhrul thinking.

bdmoss88

If you're going southbound I-85 through Montgomery you're going to need to find an alternate route. Fiery crash this morning has damaged the Perry St. overpass. I can see this screwing up traffic for some time.

https://twitter.com/BamaJD/status/1696511806129213496?s=20

https://www.waka.com/2023/08/29/massive-fire-shuts-down-i-85-at-perry-st-in-montgomery/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1693315208

bwana39

Quote from: bdmoss88 on August 29, 2023, 10:20:59 AM
If you're going southbound I-85 through Montgomery you're going to need to find an alternate route. Fiery crash this morning has damaged the Perry St. overpass. I can see this screwing up traffic for some time.

https://www.waka.com/2023/08/29/massive-fire-shuts-down-i-85-at-perry-st-in-montgomery/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1693315208

I would think remove it completely and then build a replacement in its place. Cut the pavement with a concrete saw and pick the rest off with a forklift or a crane.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

formulanone

Quote from: bwana39 on August 29, 2023, 03:29:29 PM
Quote from: bdmoss88 on August 29, 2023, 10:20:59 AM

I would think remove it completely and then build a replacement in its place. Cut the pavement with a concrete saw and pick the rest off with a forklift or a crane.

Amazed that the bridge came off worst out of all the injuries.

bdmoss88

The Ghostbuster

Are these calls likely to be heeded? I have the feeling the Montgomery Outer Loop is as constructed as it is ever going to get.

barcncpt44

The Orange Beach toll bridge is doubling its toll rates.  A normal crossing for a car is now $5, they blame ALDOT.
https://www.al.com/news/2023/08/toll-bridge-owner-in-orange-beach-nearly-doubling-rate-following-supreme-court-setback.html

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

ttownfeen

>Get upset state is building free toll bridge
>raise fees to remind customers of cost of toll bridge
> ...
>profit???

Voyager75

Quote from: barcncpt44 on August 30, 2023, 06:36:32 PM
The Orange Beach toll bridge is doubling its toll rates.  A normal crossing for a car is now $5, they blame ALDOT.
https://www.al.com/news/2023/08/toll-bridge-owner-in-orange-beach-nearly-doubling-rate-following-supreme-court-setback.html

Obviously just a middle finger from the bridge company to the ruling. Already some local online chatter about a boycott of the toll this Labor Day weekend. AL-59 traffic would be horrendous.

lordsutch

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 30, 2023, 06:19:53 PM
Are these calls likely to be heeded? I have the feeling the Montgomery Outer Loop is as constructed as it is ever going to get.

The STIP has some construction on the next phase of SR 108 (Montgomery Outer Loop) scheduled for FY2025 - see page 10 of the report for Montgomery County. It doesn't seem to stretch as far as US 231, however, which I think would be the minimum for the route to be useful.

ttownfeen

https://www.wbrc.com/2023/05/24/progress-being-made-gordo-bypass/

Nine whole years to build six miles of highway. Third world countries get sh*t done faster.

The Ghostbuster

Are there any plans for US 82 to bypass Reform? That way US 82 could be entirely four lanes from the Alabama/Mississippi border to just past Centreville. Although, I doubt it would be built any faster.

codyg1985

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 11, 2023, 05:46:31 PM
Are there any plans for US 82 to bypass Reform? That way US 82 could be entirely four lanes from the Alabama/Mississippi border to just past Centreville. Although, I doubt it would be built any faster.

It is already widened through Reform, but as a non-divided five lane road.
Cody Goodman

lordsutch

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 11, 2023, 07:06:58 PM

ALDOT is actually planning a road diet on US 82 through Reform, I crap you not.

codyg1985

Quote from: lordsutch on September 12, 2023, 01:06:13 PM

I thought I have seen everything, but I've been mistaken. I guess this is for safety reasons. There must not be a center turn lane, which I guess creates a safety issue.
Cody Goodman

froggie

For those of us who can't access ALDOT's website (blame my ISP), what does that site say specifically?

formulanone

Quote from: froggie on September 12, 2023, 09:32:03 PM

For those of us who can't access ALDOT's website (blame my ISP), what does that site say specifically?

Quote from: ALDOT
The proposed project is located along AL-6 (US-82/1stAve) in the City of Reform, Pickens County, Alabama. AL-6 will be restriped from the existing four (4) lanes to three (3) lanes. This new 3-lane configuration will consist of one through-lane for northbound and southbound traffic and a continuous left-turn lane. This change will help improve traffic operations and efficiency along the route. Additionally, the project will repave AL-6 from one mile east of the Reform City Limits to the George Lewis Bonner Bridge just east of 4th Ave Southeast.

The purpose of this public involvement meeting is to inform the public of the design features for the project. The Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) is interested in obtaining input from the people who use this route.

The meeting for public input was December 22, 2022.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.