News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bloody I-30

Started by US71, September 13, 2010, 10:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

I-30 in Arkansas is turning into a bloodbath: 4 major accidents in the last month with at lest 3 fatalities.

Today: WB I-30 at MM 126,  1 Fatality

September 9: EB I-30 near MM 124 no fatalities, but 1 person airlifted to a local hospital

September 4: tanker accident near Bryant, no fatalities

August 18: tractor trailer accident on EB 30 near Malvern,  1 fatality

Is I-30 that bad or are drivers morons?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Does law enforcement have any theories?  On I-26 "death zone" in South Carolina, many fatalities appear to be late at night single car fatalities:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/aug/08/death-zones-targeted/

"A Post and Courier Watchdog analysis in March found that mile per mile, the lonely four-lane section around Ridgeville has claimed more lives than any other part of this important South Carolina highway -- about three fatal wrecks per mile during the decade. That's twice the rate of much more heavily traveled sections in North Charleston.

The analysis also revealed that many fatalities in the Ridgeville death zone happened when vehicles slammed into trees in the median or overturned on the highway's sloping embankments. Most fatal wrecks in the Ridgeville death zone -- about two-thirds -- happened at night or early in the morning.

"We see that most of the fatal collisions are single-car wrecks," Brouthers said. Some crashes happened when people relaxed and fell asleep at the wheel, or became distracted and veered off the road"

Has anybody voted for this stretch on "Worst Interstate Drive" thread in GHT?

agentsteel53

people that quietly punch their own ticket should be of no concern.

as long as you are not hurting others, go ahead and be as inattentive and moronic as you'd like.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on September 13, 2010, 10:19:17 PM
Does law enforcement have any theories?  

None that I've heard, but some on-line comments from the general public seem think the lack of cable barriers is the problem.

froggie

Quotepeople that quietly punch their own ticket should be of no concern.

as long as you are not hurting others, go ahead and be as inattentive and moronic as you'd like.

I disagree with this.  These people are still incurring a decent-sized taxpayer cost due to the emergency response, cleanup, etc etc.

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on September 14, 2010, 06:48:39 AM
I disagree with this.  These people are still incurring a decent-sized taxpayer cost due to the emergency response, cleanup, etc etc.

I don't think it's really "decent".  if you're going to start hacking away at the budget, may as well start with carnage elsewhere.  hint: artillery in desert environments.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Greybear

You are aware of the face that I-30 has a concrete divider separating the EB and WB lanes from MM 117 to  143, with the exceptions of the University Ave (132) and I-440/I-530 (138) interchanges.

There have always been accidents and fatalities at MM 126, mainly because it's at the Saline/Pulaski Co. Line. There are several liquor stores at that interchange on the Pulaski Co side.

US71

Quote from: Greybear on September 15, 2010, 09:42:42 PM
You are aware of the face that I-30 has a concrete divider separating the EB and WB lanes from MM 117 to  143, with the exceptions of the University Ave (132) and I-440/I-530 (138) interchanges.

There have always been accidents and fatalities at MM 126, mainly because it's at the Saline/Pulaski Co. Line. There are several liquor stores at that interchange on the Pulaski Co side.

It's been a while since I've been on 30.

Is Saline a "Dry" county?

Greybear

Yes, it is.

Going WB on I-30 from Pulaski Co, the next wet county is Miller Co.

allniter89

Quote from: Greybear on September 16, 2010, 11:52:24 PM
Yes, it is.

Damn!! Miller county is Texarkana isnt it? Thats all long dry stretch!!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

US71

Quote from: allniter89 on September 17, 2010, 02:16:03 AM
Quote from: Greybear on September 16, 2010, 11:52:24 PM
Yes, it is.

Damn!! Miller county is Texarkana isnt it? Thats all long dry stretch!!

That's typical Arkansas. 

Benton County is Dry, but gets around with "private" clubs (your Server at Chili's is a member of the club and you're his guest ;) )

Crawford County is bone dry as is Madison County.
Franklin County is wet, but only because of the wineries there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.