News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Needed improvements coming to I-64, 71 and 265 (Louisville)

Started by jnewkirk77, April 28, 2019, 08:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnewkirk77

ilpt4u

I would like to see a bit more than a C/D lane added onto I-71 South @ I-265 Interchange...

Not saying it needs to go Full Stack, but a Flyover or two wouldn't hurt vs the current Cloverleaf

Article also says I-64/I-265 Interchange will be reconstructed, but does not mention any possible design changes, from its current Cloverleaf

jnewkirk77

The whole works is going to be a design-build project, so I anticipate there will be details to come. But I agree, if it's going to be done, do it right and put in flyovers.

seicer

I-64 and I-265 interchange improvements have four alternatives which are not cloverleaves: https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictFive/Pages/Interstate-64-at-Interstate-265-Interchange-Reconstruction.aspx

Looking at the traffic counts, the heaviest movements for the I-71 and I-265 interchange is the I-71 SB to I-265 movement. A collector/distributor lane is ideal for this to separate out traffic from the mainline. I'm not sure that a full rebuild is yet warranted, given that the I-65/265 traffic levels have not yet stabilized.

hbelkins

Biggest need is reconstruction of the 64/265 cloverleaf.

Everything else, including all of this being folded into one big design/build project, is a waste when compared to other needs around the state, and is (in my personal opinion) being done for political reasons since this is a gubernatorial election year.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: hbelkins on April 29, 2019, 10:01:59 PM

Everything else, including all of this being folded into one big design/build project, is a waste when compared to other needs around the state, and is (in my personal opinion) being done for political reasons since this is a gubernatorial election year.

Hadn't really looked at it that way, but you may well be right. I'd much rather see some of that money go toward getting the cloverleaves on 165 rebuilt.

seicer

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on May 01, 2019, 01:00:42 AM

Hadn't really looked at it that way, but you may well be right. I'd much rather see some of that money go toward getting the cloverleaves on 165 rebuilt.

The toll booths? Otherwise, I-165 gets very little traffic to justify rebuilding the one at the WK Parkway.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: seicer on May 01, 2019, 08:35:47 AM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on May 01, 2019, 01:00:42 AM

The toll booths? Otherwise, I-165 gets very little traffic to justify rebuilding the one at the WK Parkway.

That's what I meant. The 165/WK interchange got overhauled last year, so it's good.

hbelkins

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on May 01, 2019, 10:58:58 PM
That's what I meant. The 165/WK interchange got overhauled last year, so it's good.

I never quite figured out what they were doing there, other than repaving some of the ramps. I drove through there a couple of times while the work was ongoing and never knew why they needed to have extended closures of some of the ramps.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: hbelkins on May 02, 2019, 01:54:23 PM

I never quite figured out what they were doing there, other than repaving some of the ramps. I drove through there a couple of times while the work was ongoing and never knew why they needed to have extended closures of some of the ramps.

I know they extended the taper of the ramps, and it looks like to me they widened the loops a little bit. It really didn't need much work to be brought up to standard.

hbelkins

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on May 03, 2019, 09:57:05 AM

I know they extended the taper of the ramps, and it looks like to me they widened the loops a little bit. It really didn't need much work to be brought up to standard.

I don't know what the most-frequently-used movement is at that interchange, but I wonder if those improvements have to do with the WK and Natcher I-165 now being signed as an alternate to I-65.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2019, 01:00:40 PM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on May 03, 2019, 09:57:05 AM

I don't know what the most-frequently-used movement is at that interchange, but I wonder if those improvements have to do with the WK and Natcher I-165 now being signed as an alternate to I-65.

I'm not sure either, but I know at the time I drive through every night, I see a fair number of vehicles going northbound to westbound, as well as eastbound to southbound.

CardInLex

ukfan758

Quote from: CardInLex on May 13, 2019, 05:47:04 PM
Alternate 3B has been chosen for the I-64/I-265 interchange.
https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictFive/Pages/Interstate-64-at-Interstate-265-Interchange-Reconstruction.aspx

It's definitely going to be an improvement but I see a lot of congestion and wrecks happening on 265 N with this design. The right lane disappears before the overpass, bringing it down to its present 2 lanes. Then you have a new slower ramp from 64 W which then has to somewhat quickly merge into those two lanes. Then you have two lanes of higher speed traffic coming up to these congested two lanes, many of those cars will need to get into the third and fourth lanes for Shelbyville Rd and traffic coming from 64 E will need to move over to the third lane if they are staying on 265. There's a lot of weaving going on and this will surely lead to heavy traffic and accidents.

Although more expensive, I would have the 64 E and 64 W ramps isolated from the mainlines until after the Shelbyville Rd exit. For 265 N, there would be an exit for Shelbyville Rd shortly after the 64 exit which would then go over to the right as the fourth lane. The 64 E ramps would be the first two (reverse of the plan), then 64 W, then the exit from 265. The right two lanes would be mandatory exits. Shelbyville Rd traffic would merge into the second lane and then those two lanes would merge with 265. At five lanes wide now, the right lane would merge further on and then the fourth lane would be a mandatory exit for Old Henry Rd with the third having an exit option to reduce weaving.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.