News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Retro Stop & Shop logo

Started by jp the roadgeek, September 29, 2018, 07:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on October 09, 2018, 09:49:46 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 09, 2018, 09:06:57 AM
Quote from: jon daly on October 07, 2018, 06:34:18 PMOTOH, you can buy a soda or a beer in Rhody without paying a deposit and redeem it in CT for a nickel.
Provided that such is marked for deposit.  I've done similar with soda can & bottles I bought in PA and redeemed them during one of my visits/trips to MA.  Such only works if such bottles & can are marked.
And of course, MA doesn't accept all containers that are marked as deposit in other states.  Specifically, water bottles are redeemable in most states, but not MA.  The exception is sparkling water containers, which are redeemable in MA.
If memory serves, MA's bottle/can deposit only applies towards carbonated beverages.  Sparkling water would be considered such (carbonated) whereas spring-water, for example, would not.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

oscar

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 06, 2018, 01:09:32 PM
I also once tried to use my Safeway card at a Safeway in England and got nowhere with it.

My Safeway card also didn't work at a Safeway in western Canada. I was told that the store was in Canada's Air Miles loyalty program, rather than Safeway's U.S. program.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 09, 2018, 11:27:18 AM
Quote from: jon daly on October 07, 2018, 06:34:18 PMOTOH, you can buy a soda or a beer in Rhody without paying a deposit and redeem it in CT for a nickel.
Provided that such is marked for deposit.  I've done similar with soda can & bottles I bought in PA and redeemed them during one of my visits/trips to MA.  Such only works if such bottles & can are marked.
And of course, MA doesn't accept all containers that are marked as deposit in other states.  Specifically, water bottles are redeemable in most states, but not MA.  The exception is sparkling water containers, which are redeemable in MA.
If memory serves, MA's bottle/can deposit only applies towards carbonated beverages.  Sparkling water would be considered such (carbonated) whereas spring-water, for example, would not.

That is correct.  Couldn't think of the correct term (carbonated).  Of course, it's just plain silly that carbonated beverages are subject to a container deposit, but non-carbonated ones are not.  Even sillier was the fact that changing this so that the container deposit applies to ALL beverage containers - regardless of contents - was the subject of an initiative petition last year, and was defeated by the voters.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on October 09, 2018, 12:49:51 PM

That is correct.  Couldn't think of the correct term (carbonated).  Of course, it's just plain silly that carbonated beverages are subject to a container deposit, but non-carbonated ones are not.
Back when that bottle bill took effect (early 80s); the number/variety of non-carbonated beverages sold in bottles/cans was much less.  That bill essentially reinstated a bottle/can deposit that likely existed decades earlier (then at 2 cents) and the only non-carbonated beverages sold at the time (& in larger sizes) were fruit juices.

Quote from: roadman on October 09, 2018, 09:49:46 AMEven sillier was the fact that changing this so that the container deposit applies to ALL beverage containers - regardless of contents - was the subject of an initiative petition last year, and was defeated by the voters.
You may recall that prior to the current bottle bill becoming law via referendum vote; such was initially defeated at least once by the voters in previous elections.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

epzik8

I live at the east edge of Giant-Landover's Baltimore-Washington territory and love their current logo, and how they share it with Stop & Shop. That said, this storefront looks nice.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman on October 09, 2018, 12:49:51 PM

That is correct.  Couldn't think of the correct term (carbonated).  Of course, it's just plain silly that carbonated beverages are subject to a container deposit, but non-carbonated ones are not.  Even sillier was the fact that changing this so that the container deposit applies to ALL beverage containers - regardless of contents - was the subject of an initiative petition last year, and was defeated by the voters.

CT originally had the same bottle bill as MA, but added bottled water in 2010.  However, it is only the smaller bottles of water that have the deposit; the 3 liter bottles and gallons do not have a deposit on them.  To show that they are hip to the bill, companies have put a red ring on the label of bottles in MA, RI, and other states that do not have a deposit on water so that the machine will see that no deposit was paid.  As far as buying soda not labeled for deposit and trying to cash them in deposit states:  I once did find a killer sale on 12 packs of Coke in MD (3/$5, which came to $5.25 with tax).  MD doesn't have a bottle bill, but I brought the cans back to CT, and the machines accepted them, so I got $3.60 back.  Ended up paying $1.65 for 3 12-packs, which breaks down to under a nickel a can. Still wasn't my best score though.  I bought a couple of 12 packs at a CVS in NY state that were $1.99 each, plus they had $1.00 off coupons on them, so I got them for 99 cents, and there was no tax, plus I wasn't charged the deposit.  After I redeemed them, I paid 39 cents a 12 pack, which is a little over 3 cents a can. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

KEVIN_224

Very true about the whole deposit thing! Some states have bottles of Poland Spring water with a distinct red border around the UPC/bar code. I brought some back once from New Hampshire and the Trenton area this summer. None of them were accepted here in Connecticut. In each case, the bottles were marked as "CT/MA/NY - 5 cents" Some will also say "CA - CRV". What is CRV? Container Retail Value?

What else is strange is how sometimes the bottle return machine at a local Walmart (Connecticut) will take the 2 liter bottle of soda and the Acadia bottled water from Stop & Shop. :)

Getting back to Stop & Shop again...I have no idea how many other locations in greater Hartford have had the renovations done. The Berlin, CT store (store #614) just had their "grand reopening" this weekend, as they called it. A TV ad here mentions the changes. At the end of the ad, the existing fruit basket logo spins around and slowly morphs into the new retro "traffic light" logo.

jp the roadgeek

They say about 20 different ones were updated.  The 3 I've actually seen are Berlin, Kitts Lane in Newington, and West Middle Turnpike in Manchester (evidenced by the gas station canopy; can't see the store from the pumps, though).  Read from the comments on a FB sponsored ad that Unionville, a couple in Glastonbury, and one in Vernon were among them.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

PHLBOS

I'm going to be in the North Shore part of MA this weekend.  I can easily check out whether or not the one in Vinnin Square/Swampscott has been updated.  This one was originally signed as a Super Stop & Shop when it first opened in the 1990s and replaced the nearby Salem S&S.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

KEVIN_224

Probably not. Supermarket News said that greater Hartford was the first area being done over.

As for Kitts Lane in Newington, CT? No disguising that flaming turd which was once a Shaw's!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 10, 2018, 01:32:03 PM
Probably not. Supermarket News said that greater Hartford was the first area being done over.

As for Kitts Lane in Newington, CT? No disguising that flaming turd which was once a Shaw's!

I love how the old Shaw's in New Britain is now an indoor storage facility, and the one in Bristol is vacant once again after Walmart failed with Neighborhood Market.  Ironically, the crappiest Shaw's of all in Southington (once an Edwards) has been nicely refurbished as a Shop Rite.

And the one at West Main and Corbin Avenue in New Britain does have the new signage as of this afternoon.

KEVIN_224

They should be at a good clip in greater Hartford. One of the CT Transit busses in New Britain had a bus wrap ad with the newer retro logo and all. I have yet to walk past (or be on the bus past) any other locations. After Kitts Lane (off the Berlin Turnpike in Newington), Berlin and New Britain, the next locations are on CT Route 372 in Cromwell and then the Elmwood section of West Hartford.

jp the roadgeek

Pretty sure I found a list of those that weren't converted yet.  Looked at the bottom of the weekly flyer and the stores listed probably haven't.  Southington, both Bristol stores (Route 6 and Forestville), Cheshire, and Granby were among those that haven't.  I can confirm Southington and the Forestville location haven't, and I'm sure the one on West Main in Meriden (a converted Edwards that is pretty much 1980's vintage except for updated signage), and on Farmington Ave in West Hartford (which was never a Super Stop & Shop when almost all stores were branded as such) are among those that aren't.

KEVIN_224

I was told that New Britain (Corbin Avenue by West Main Street) was changed over. A youtube video clip surfaced with a few employees of converted stores more or less giving shoutouts about the new look, etc. Store #614 of Berlin was included.

CapeCodder

Quote from: briantroutman on October 04, 2018, 07:08:57 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 04, 2018, 10:59:28 AM
I always liked this old Stop & Shop logo (from 1963).

OK"š as a graphic designer, I can imagine sitting in a meeting with the client–about half a dozen people sitting around the boardroom table. The VP of marketing clears his throat:

"Our name is "˜Stop & Shop', but it's the green light that's in the shopping cart. Our name isn't "˜Go & Shop'. Can you reverse the order of the lights so that the red is on the bottom?

When I was a tot I called it "Red-Green."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.