News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FightingIrish

Quote from: sparker on May 20, 2019, 10:01:12 PM
Quote from: X99 on May 20, 2019, 07:31:08 PM
Quote from: sparker on May 15, 2019, 04:38:05 PM
^^^^^^^^
As I stated earlier, because of the new truck inspection facility at the 93/68 interchange, Golden Valley is likely out of the mix; the Kingman west bypass will curve around the hill west of Beale Street and intersect I-40 about a half-mile to a mile (depending upon the exact alignment selected) west of the Business 40 west exit.   
I thought the selected alternative was east of the current Beale Street interchange, since that's the one mapped out as "proposed" on OpenStreetMap.

Someone at OSM needs to update their data; the east-of-Beale alignment was sunk by local opposition several years back even though it was ADOT's initial favored route.
I don't understand the negativity about the Eastern bypass. It's mostly empty land that doesn't involve blasting out mountains. If the opposition is from the gas stations and fast food joints at the Beale interchange, they should have known decades ago that there would be upgrades in the area to create an Interstate connection. A Breezewood situation was never going to happen there.

Let's face it - this is the obvious path:

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
It's not just the gas stations/convenience stores at the current I-40/Beale interchange; it's pretty much the commercial zone extending close to a mile north of there on US 93, including several large commercial-vehicle repair facilities that have persisted since long before I-40 came to town.  They have outsized political clout within the city & region; they're the reason that I-40 took an in-town path rather than bypassing Kingman around the largely open south side back in the late '70's -- they wanted close access to the through route.  The interchange pictured above would essentially delete the I-40/Beale diamond interchange; access to Beale businesses would have to be from the I-40/AZ 66 business loop at each end of town.  As shown, Beale access re I-11 is only a half-diamond to and from the north -- the interchange flyovers are too long to accommodate ramps from the opposite direction -- and it would be an indirect "back door" form of access in any case -- a downgrade, convenience-wise, from what exists today.  A western I-11 bypass route would maintain the current Beale arrangement plus add direct access from northward I-11, something Beale-based businesses want to happen -- and it looks as if they'll be getting their way if more recent info is accurate.    Yeah, the configuration illustrated above is shorter and in all likelihood modestly cheaper -- but for better or worse, as per usual local politics and/or commercial interests tend to prevail in situations such as this. 

compdude787

It doesn't seem like that new interchange would eliminate the I-40/ Beale interchange though. In really having a hard time understanding why people are opposed to it's design.

FightingIrish

Quote from: compdude787 on May 23, 2019, 12:26:56 PM
It doesn't seem like that new interchange would eliminate the I-40/ Beale interchange though. In really having a hard time understanding why people are opposed to it's design.
I'm guessing because it would cut off the eastern ramps at the Beale interchange. However, there are ways to incorporate the existing ramps into the new eastern bypass interchange, by combining them into one.

sparker

From the info I've seen regarding the proposed interchange pictured above -- and from having driven on I-40 and actually getting off and using the facilities around the Beale interchange over the years -- the problem is that I-40 is carved into a hillside above the center of town, and that there's a ridge that was "chopped off" by I-40 and visible just east of the proposed interchange ramps (in fact the ramps from WB I-40 to NB I-11 and SB I-11 to EB I-40 require considerably more excavation of that ridge) that would impede on any arrangement that attempted to weave replacement Beale St. ramps into the interchange configuration.  ADOT would essentially have to level that ridge to accomplish both a high-speed I-11 interchange and anything maintaining Beale access from I-40.  And the town doesn't want its topography significantly altered in that manner; constructing a western I-11 bypass that intersects I-40 about a mile and a quarter west of Beale would avoid much of that activity; the topology there is relatively flat compared with the area depicted above. 

Also, the local traffic patterns wouldn't be disturbed during the construction period with an interchange constructed away from the developed area.  It's the locals who objected to the in-town route to begin with; ADOT is simply incorporating their input into the decision.  The age of steamrollering towns just to save a mile or so is long past -- even in a rapidly growing state like AZ!   

DJStephens

Quote from: FightingIrish on May 23, 2019, 12:33:16 PM
Quote from: compdude787 on May 23, 2019, 12:26:56 PM
I'm guessing because it would cut off the eastern ramps at the Beale interchange. However, there are ways to incorporate the existing ramps into the new eastern bypass interchange, by combining them into one.

Why couldn't the ramps be braided?  Meaning the Beale/40 ramps on the N side of the existing diamond, with the new 40 E to 11N and 11S to 40w?  They do that all the time in Texas although many of the braided ramps there are indeed hideous. 
  The eastern route shown above also seems to make an effort to keep most of the 11 mainline out of Kingman city limits, even though there is nothing there.  Reason? 
  Of course, irrelevant points, because this not the option continuing forward.   

sparker

As pictured, it just couldn't be done without fucking up the hills surrounding downtown Kingman.  Town didn't want that to happen and pressed for another option, which was one of two relatively close-in western arcs that allowed it to cut into US 93 south of the new truck inspection facility while staying on relatively flat land.  And while there might be some topology "sculpting" needed to fit the interchange flyovers in, it won't be visible from downtown Kingman (out of sight, out of mind!).  And the Beale businesses will chug along per usual.  And the bypass isn't a 30-miles-away-from-direct "Hassayampa" type; at most it'll add about a mile and a half to the Phoenix-Vegas total; within ADOT it'll be considered a reasonable compromise.   

Bobby5280

The mini mesas 600 yards East of Beale Street (US-93) would not be razed by the proposed I-11 connection into I-40 pictured up thread. A little shaving might be done to the South edge that butts into I-40. That's about all that would happen. The rest of the land between those hills and Beale Street are just dirt mounds pock-marked by bushes.

As for what's visible from downtown Kingman you can barely see the mini mesas from there at all. At I-40 the hills are already chiseled by the existing I-40 freeway and altered by other development in the area. Kingman isn't exactly a picturesque town. If anything, I think some state of the art, cast-segmental flyover ramps with decorative features (like what has been built down in Phoenix) would be an attractive addition.

I think the real motive behind local opposition is they don't want traffic going to or coming from Las Vegas avoiding the little collection of gas stations, tire shops and motels just off I-40. I think they want a Breezewood situation no matter what kind of bypass and freeway to freeway connection is proposed.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^
Kingman is certainly not "City Beautiful" by any means, but it is home to about 20K folks.  It's not just a junction town, but the commercial center for that part of AZ; not everyone is employed in the Beale St. auto-service "empire", but with what goes on in any Mountain States town of its size that happens to be a county seat.  That being said -- clearly they don't want what has heretofore been a situation of convenience to them to significantly change.   That's just survival instinct coming into play; regardless of how we outsiders perceive their town, they want to maintain as much of the status quo as is possible -- hence anything that even remotely looks like it's going to disturb that situation will draw opposition.  But with a western bypass in the works, they're not going to get a Breezewood per se -- there will still be a free-flowing traffic interchange between I-40 and I-11, just a mile or so west of town.  But traffic from both routes, by that time multiplexed onto present I-40, will retain the same Beale St. access as before -- it just won't be a major regional junction.  And those folks traveling on I-40 who need auto service or tires will have the same functional access to that as today.  The only difference is that traffic to and from Las Vegas won't be required to parade in front of that line of businesses. 

It's likely that construction on the western bypass will commence within 5 years of an actual alignment being selected; it'll be open to traffic before extensive work regarding upgrading US 93 between Kingman and Nevada is undertaken.  Kingman will never be a Breezewood -- but it will be business as usual.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: sparker on May 24, 2019, 03:41:47 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^
Kingman is certainly not "City Beautiful" by any means, but it is home to about 20K folks. 

43,000. 30,000 in Kingman proper and 13,000 in the unincorporated area near the airport.

Throw in Golden Valley and you've got more than 50,000 people within 15 miles of that interchange. Which is to say: Kingman is going to be fine. Its economy is much, much larger than 4 gas stations and a few motels.

Saying Kingman is threatened by I-11 is like saying Barstow was decimated by I-15. Did it hurt some businesses and help others? Sure. But there are going to be plenty of people traveling between cities of 2 million and 4.5 million, respectively, who will not mind a slight detour at Beale Street to get gas and snacks.

Mark68

^^^^^^^^^
Not to mention hundreds, if not thousands, of Route 66 enthusiasts.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^
Who will continue to buy food at the convenience stores and/or overnight at the motels on the Biz 40 loop (as I've done numerous times) -- and, if required, get their cars & trucks repaired (or re-tired!) on Beale just north of the I-40 interchange.  A western bypass will probably mean mixed results for those businesses arrayed along Beale; they might lose some pass-through to competitors along that stretch of I-40 that'll be multiplexed with I-11 -- but they'll still retain the historic I-40 access they've always had, plus at least a directional connection from where it will intersect I-11.  And if indeed there are 50K+ regional residents (I'm guessing there are a sizeable number of retirees among them looking for a lower-cost-of-living environment), over time they'll more than make up any marginal revenues lost by not having Las Vegas traffic schlep down Beale Street. 

Zonie

That last mile or so of Beale north of I-40 tends to have the worst gas prices in the Kingman area.  Just a quick search now shows most stations are $3.15/gal around town, but the two Chevron stations along Beale are $3.59 and $3.99/gal.

I'm not exactly shedding a tear at their problem.

AZDude

That Chevron right by the Carl's JR has always been the most expensive gas station in town.  I never bought gas there.

Also Kingman used to have cheaper gas than Phoenix, but for the last decade it has been the other way around.  Now Kingman's gas prices are MORE expensive than Phoenix.  I wonder what happened.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: AZDude on May 24, 2019, 09:20:33 PM
That Chevron right by the Carl's JR has always been the most expensive gas station in town.  I never bought gas there.

Chevron is usually at least 10 cents higher than the others, regardless of where they are in AZ.

QuoteAlso Kingman used to have cheaper gas than Phoenix, but for the last decade it has been the other way around.  Now Kingman's gas prices are MORE expensive than Phoenix.  I wonder what happened.

The place to get relatively cheaper gas is along I-40 about 20 miles east of Kingman, at one of the truck stops just west of the US 93 South exit.  Their prices were about the same as metro Phoenix outside of Scottsdale.

Beale St. north of 40 is ridiculously high, but not anywhere near as high as the few gas stations along 93 between Kingman and the state line.  I've seen them as high as $4.99 per gallon, but that was a few years ago.  Same goes for Wickieup, where gas was $3.99 per gallon about a month ago.  The souvenier shop on the northbound side of 93 was a bit cheaper, around $3.19 IIRC, but still much higher than Phoenix or the I-40 truck stops.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
Gas stations adjacent to interchanges or on "captive" stretches of surface street (such as Beale/US 93) are invariably much higher than less convenient stations; this is by any means not a local AZ phenomenon but one that is all but universal.  Same thing here in San Jose -- stations within sight of US 101, I-280/680, I-880/CA 17, and CA 85 are generally 20-25 cents higher/gallon than stations farther into the neighborhoods; those also tend to be dominated by the "majors": Chevron, Union, Shell (although Shell has been discounting a bit more than usual as of late).  Ironically, one of the cheapest adjacent pair of "discount" off-brand stations are a couple of blocks off US 101 at McKee Road -- but can't be seen (and aren't advertised) from the freeway -- but locals know they're there (one of them the famous/infamous "Moe's", often cited on KCBS news radio as the cheapest gas in the South Bay). 

I'll wager if you traveled down the Biz 40 loop in Kingman that you'd find -- not necessarily at or near the I-40 end points -- cheaper gas than on Beale (which thrives on its convenience rather than any other aspect of its business model!) -- particularly if you can locate an "independent" station along the way.

Bobby5280

Quote from: sparkerKingman is certainly not "City Beautiful" by any means, but it is home to about 20K folks.

And the proposal is talking about bypassing a small number of gas stations, tire shops and motels along a 1 mile stretch on the far NW fringe of Kingman. It doesn't make any difference whatsoever to the main population center of Kingman.

I-40 itself doesn't even go through downtown Kingman. And the most busy shopping areas off I-40 in Kingman are at Stockton Hills Road and East Andy Devine Avenue, not the US-93 cut-off going to Las Vegas. An I-40/I-11 multiplex would not bypass those commercial districts just to the East.

If the businesses on that 1 mile stretch of US-93 languish it will hardly affect greater Kingman in any kind of negative way. The net positive is having an I-11 high speed highway linking Phoenix and Las Vegas directly.

Building some way the f*** out of the way bypass way off to the West isn't going to help anybody. It certainly won't help that 1 mile worth of businesses along US-93 just NW of the I-40 exit. They're going to get bypassed regardless! So just build the SHORTEST, MOST DIRECT ROUTE! Enough with the Interstate highways as political spam pork barrel crap going way the hell off yonder rather than taking drivers from point A to point B directly! If the new highways have to go way out of the way to satisfy some real estate speculators then the Interstates in question just need to never ever be built. If the real estate speculators want the highway going through a certain area so badly let those leeches pay for the road themselves!

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds like somebody need a chill pill, fast!  As stated previously, the proposed I-11 west bypass of Kingman at most adds about a mile and a half of highway -- it isn't in the Hassayampa league by any means.  And the route has nothing to do with real estate speculation -- it's the city and residents of Kingman itself that don't want the in-town connector for a litany of reasons.  If ADOT was in cahoots with RE speculators, the route would have gone through Golden Valley along AZ 68, where most of the area's development is occurring.  But that isn't the case; they just finished spending a few million on the new truck inspection area, which handles inbound traffic from both Las Vegas and Laughlin/Bullhead City -- and which empties out onto the outer reaches of Beale Street.  This means that there were two corridors considered for the connection -- the direct one as shown on the diagrams, and the short western arc that intersects I-40 a mile to a mile and a half west of town.  Obviously both options made the finals, but the city pushed for the western option (as is their prerogative) so as to keep the in-town status quo intact. 

These days, with protracted litigation threatening projects right and left, sometimes an agency such as ADOT deems it prudent to take the path of least resistance and select a corridor that is locally acceptable -- so as to get it completed in relatively short order.  This seems like one of those times; the inconvenience to through travelers is marginal at worst (1.5 miles within the 285-mile PHX-LV corridor), and the relationship with the locals -- government & residents -- remains cordial.  This time it's a matter of not discarding the doable in favor of an option that's only optimal to I-11 travelers -- not the town in question.   

Kniwt

The Arizona Republic reports today on some opposition to parts of the proposed I-11 routings:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/southwest-valley/2019/07/06/goodyear-audubon-arizona-push-back-proposed-11-route-protect-habitat-homes/1659029001/

QuoteThe Goodyear City Council earlier this month voted to support the potential highway's route, with the exception of a one-mile stretch that comes close to 1,500 homes in southern Goodyear.

... I-11's current 2,000-foot corridor passes close to 1,500 homes in the CantaMia at Estrella community, off Rainbow Valley and Willis roads on the southwest side of the Estrella Mountains.

... Audubon Arizona is also asking officials to shift the highway's path, but much further to the west.

Audubon is asking people to fill out an online petition calling for officials to build I-11 on one of the proposed alternative routes, which planning documents refer to as the "Orange Route." The orange route swings far west to Gila Bend and Interstate 8 before shooting north up MC-85 to Buckeye and then Wickenburg.

sparker

Quote from: Kniwt on July 06, 2019, 05:54:28 PM
The Arizona Republic reports today on some opposition to parts of the proposed I-11 routings:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/southwest-valley/2019/07/06/goodyear-audubon-arizona-push-back-proposed-11-route-protect-habitat-homes/1659029001/

QuoteThe Goodyear City Council earlier this month voted to support the potential highway's route, with the exception of a one-mile stretch that comes close to 1,500 homes in southern Goodyear.

... I-11's current 2,000-foot corridor passes close to 1,500 homes in the CantaMia at Estrella community, off Rainbow Valley and Willis roads on the southwest side of the Estrella Mountains.

... Audubon Arizona is also asking officials to shift the highway's path, but much further to the west.

Audubon is asking people to fill out an online petition calling for officials to build I-11 on one of the proposed alternative routes, which planning documents refer to as the "Orange Route." The orange route swings far west to Gila Bend and Interstate 8 before shooting north up MC-85 to Buckeye and then Wickenburg.

Looks like only the "purple" option would potentially affect Goodyear -- but the local NIMBY's are obviously taking preemptive action against any option that has a chance of affecting them negatively.  And that's the option that subsumes some of the AZ 30 west valley freeway corridor that was recently added to the alignment possibilities.  But it's nice to see a cost-effective and reasonable (the "orange") alternative included in the group -- particularly since it utilizes most of AZ 85 down to Gila Bend.  That, of course, would be the rational alternative rather than one that is indended as a sop to local developers.  Since it utilizes much of I-19, I-10, and I-8 in the area, the optimal signage package would be to simply retain those numbers and -- at least signage-wise, terminate I-11 at I-8 near Gila Bend -- and simply utilize the corridor's funding for improvements on the other routes; no need to multiplex or replace existing numbers that have been in service for up to 60 years.   Let's just hope common sense prevails!

sprjus4

Quote from: Kniwt on July 06, 2019, 05:54:28 PM

<snip>
IMO, I don't see too much issues with the existing corridors option. At least north of I-10. A bypass of Tucson may be warranted, however having not traveled that stretch of I-10, I wouldn't be able to make that judgement.

DJStephens

Most of these alternatives are duplicitous waste.  Duplicating highways already in existence, and which have been for fifty years.   Finish six laning I-10 instead.   Would go back to the original 1985 idea.  Run it down Grand, the original idea.   Probably terminating at Loop 101, but retain the possibility to extend further SE, as improvements progress, and needed property is acquired.   

sparker

Quote from: DJStephens on July 07, 2019, 10:26:14 AM
Most of these alternatives are duplicitous waste.  Duplicating highways already in existence, and which have been for fifty years.   Finish six laning I-10 instead.   Would go back to the original 1985 idea.  Run it down Grand, the original idea.   Probably terminating at Loop 101, but retain the possibility to extend further SE, as improvements progress, and needed property is acquired.   

Highly unlikely anything will occur inside Loop 303 regardless of alignment; there appears to be a rough consensus within the towns arrayed along Grand that adding a freeway there would be counterproductive.   If considered strictly a metro Phoenix server, continuing I-11 SE along US 60 to Loop 303 and then letting it disperse there (with I-11 signage appended south to I-10, of course) would be optimal -- provided such a routing dovetailed into existing plans within the city of Surprise, through which the corridor travels.  It seems that the cities along US 60/Grand have already internalized the current regional freeway plan, which projects both the Hassayampa corridor (as I-11) and one from that corridor south of Wickenburg extending east to I-17 at or near the Loop 303 interchange.  The concept seems to be dispersal of long-distance traffic rather than concentrating it near the existing facility -- it's possible -- even likely -- that Surprise, Sun City, etc. don't particularly want intercity traffic traipsing through their midst -- and the days of ramming a freeway through a city regardless of local sentiment are long over, even in AZ!  Those cities are probably only too willing to have the White Tank mountains separating them from I-11.  But the saving grace of the Hassayampa corridor -- at least the portion north of Buckeye -- is that it may (if reason prevails) segue into AZ 85, using that route to complete an effective PHX outer bypass.  And to the PHX MPO, as well as all the jurisdictions within, anything that holds to potential to divert traffic away from the seemingly perpetually congested central-city loop (10 & 17) is a desirable concept.  Traffic intending to get to central Phoenix will get there in any case -- just not via a straight diagonal line.  But since the entire area is widely dispersed into cities other than incorporated Phoenix, the chances are that much of that inbound traffic will either take the most efficient freeway routing that they can to their destination or simply get off onto surface streets, figuring they're close enough to do so; this would probably pertain to traffic to and from Vegas and other I-11 points to Surprise, Peoria, Sun City, and other towns NW of central Phoenix; traffic to east and SE suburbs (Tempe, Mesa, etc.) will simply take I-11 to I-10 and turn east; that would be more efficient that slogging down Grand (except for inbound morning commute times, in which case everything would be a mess!). 

The bottom line is that unless there's an expressed need emanating from sources in Phoenix itself or the northwest suburbs, I-11 will almost certainly be heading down Hassayampa as presently planned.  And such a last-minute change is unlikely to occur at this juncture; those areas have planned around through traffic going elsewhere.

splashflash

Even the northwestern routing of I-11 is being requested for revision, as homeowners discover the arcing design of all three options passes through Vista Royale.  Wickenburg had requested that I-11 pass as close to town as possible but not running through it.  I-11 going straight south from AZ-71 Option T in earlier reports, would be the shortest, most direct route.  Option T was dropped likely because of requests from Wickenburg to align closely to the town, even through the Vulture Mountain Recreational Reserve.  With complaints voiced by nearby residents, Wickenburg Council has bent, a bit, at least.

From the Wickenburg Sun:

Wickenburg's I-11 Task Force had initially endorsed ADOT's preferred alternative, but met on May 30 and amended its opinion, now recommending I-11 connect with US 93 at mile post 186, which would route the highway a few miles northwest of Vista Royale. The I-11 Task Force recommendation was approved by Council Monday evening in the form of a resolution. The resolution also recommended I-11 would connect to US 60 west of Wickenburg at milepost 103.5, just east of Black Mountain, but that item was adjusted to milepost 102 (further from town limits) before being approved.

http://www.wickenburgsun.com/around_town/article_182a97b8-92b8-11e9-964b-4fc6bf3f9ed7.html

Check out the maps of the modified routing evolving as discussions occur.

https://www.protectourwickenburglifestyle.com/

It just goes to show that local politics do matter, as this Vista Royale letter writer has had at least some of his wishes met with the recent Wickenburg Council about-face.
http://www.wickenburgsun.com/letters_to_editor/article_1a0d6110-9074-5580-8b18-85edc207997d.html

Residents organized and met with ADOT during recent public hearings.  They recommend I-11 head directly south at AZ-71 and believe Wickenburg would have enough attraction to tourists seeking a western-style town to follow US-60 to Phoenix.

http://www.wickenburgsun.com/news/article_3c91a0b8-a0c2-5f42-a249-8105e17d68f3.html

sparker

Quote from: splashflash on July 07, 2019, 10:51:35 PM
Even the northwestern routing of I-11 is being requested for revision, as homeowners discover the arcing design of all three options passes through Vista Royale.  Wickenburg had requested that I-11 pass as close to town as possible but not running through it.  I-11 going straight south from AZ-71 Option T in earlier reports, would be the shortest, most direct route.  Option T was dropped likely because of requests from Wickenburg to align closely to the town, even through the Vulture Mountain Recreational Reserve.  With complaints voiced by nearby residents, Wickenburg Council has bent, a bit, at least.

From the Wickenburg Sun:

Wickenburg's I-11 Task Force had initially endorsed ADOT's preferred alternative, but met on May 30 and amended its opinion, now recommending I-11 connect with US 93 at mile post 186, which would route the highway a few miles northwest of Vista Royale. The I-11 Task Force recommendation was approved by Council Monday evening in the form of a resolution. The resolution also recommended I-11 would connect to US 60 west of Wickenburg at milepost 103.5, just east of Black Mountain, but that item was adjusted to milepost 102 (further from town limits) before being approved.

http://www.wickenburgsun.com/around_town/article_182a97b8-92b8-11e9-964b-4fc6bf3f9ed7.html

Check out the maps of the modified routing evolving as discussions occur.

https://www.protectourwickenburglifestyle.com/

It just goes to show that local politics do matter, as this Vista Royale letter writer has had at least some of his wishes met with the recent Wickenburg Council about-face.
http://www.wickenburgsun.com/letters_to_editor/article_1a0d6110-9074-5580-8b18-85edc207997d.html

Residents organized and met with ADOT during recent public hearings.  They recommend I-11 head directly south at AZ-71 and believe Wickenburg would have enough attraction to tourists seeking a western-style town to follow US-60 to Phoenix.

http://www.wickenburgsun.com/news/article_3c91a0b8-a0c2-5f42-a249-8105e17d68f3.html

From a local-politics standpoint, the requested revision in the Wickenburg area makes sense; the direction of suburban development from that town's center is primarily due west more or less along or right north of US 60.  Looking at GE/GSV, US 93 has a relatively recent divided segment south of the AZ 71 junction; it's likely ADOT would prefer to utilize as much of that facility as possible as an upgradable I-11 alignment.  If a line is drawn due south from the southeastern end of that divided section, it intersects US 60 well west of the outer limits of development, which appear to be situated around the airfield west of town -- and it also doesn't encounter much in the way of problematic terrain along that line.  It's probable that ADOT will "counter-suggest" such a line or something close to it; it's clear the powers that be in Wickenburg are heeding their residents who would rather not have an interregional corridor in their back yards.   Anything passing significantly west of the airfield would likely satisfy the town -- and be not terribly far off the original Wickenburg bypass plans. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.