News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cincinnati/NKY Meet

Started by JMoses24, June 13, 2013, 03:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which date works best for a Cincinnati meet?

October 5
1 (16.7%)
October 12
2 (33.3%)
October 19
1 (16.7%)
October 26
2 (33.3%)
Sometime in November
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

JMoses24

I know there are plans for a Cleveland meet. However, I am interested in doing a Cincinnati one in September or October. So, I want to use this thread here to gauge interest specifically in one in southwest Ohio.

Possible Points of Interest: Little Miami River bridge on I-71; American Sign Museum; US 50 6th Street Viaduct construction; a few old signs in the area.

Tentative dates that SHOULD work: 9/7, 9/14, 10/5, 10/12, 10/19
Dates I could *possibly* do as well with an early enough start/end time: 9/21, 10/26
No-go: 9/28-29 (Spina Bifida walk the 28th and will probably be physically wiped out the next day).

So, who's interested and which dates are you free? I waited a little bit to see what my schedule would look like another couple weeks out into October to post this, but let's get this going. My preliminary thought was September 14 would work best, but I can be flexible.

hbelkins

Sept. 7 is out (wife's birthday). Sept. 14 would probably have to be a one-day trip for me. The October dates should all be fine as far as I'm concerned.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

Some projects worth noting:

* I-71 Little Miami River Bridge (noted above)
* US 50/Waldvogel Viaduct reconstruction (noted above)
* 8th Street Viaduct rehabilitation
* Western Hills Viaduct, which will most likely be demolished and replaced in the next few years
* I-75 reconstruction from Exit 6 south to Western Hills Viaduct

vdeane

10/12 is near Columbus Day, which is an "optional paid holiday" as my company calls it (we get either Columbus Day or Veterans Day, but not both).  Could incorporate a meet into a longer trip if it were that day.  It's not on my radar for this year though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

I like the October dates best.  September 21 is a complete non-starter for me.  I've got an all-day event locally on September 22.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jpi

Any of the following dates are good for me-
10/5, 10/12, 10/19
September is out for me and the last weekend in October is mine and Steph's anniversary, I can also do this trip with out takeing days off, just a quick 5 hour drive from my house near Nashville, TN
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

amroad17

Name the date and I'm 90% sure I will be there.

My wife and I went to the American Sign Museum last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed our experience.  Can't wait to go again!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

JMoses24

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on June 13, 2013, 12:39:30 PM
Some projects worth noting:

* I-71 Little Miami River Bridge (noted above)
* US 50/Waldvogel Viaduct reconstruction (noted above)
* 8th Street Viaduct rehabilitation
* Western Hills Viaduct, which will most likely be demolished and replaced in the next few years
* I-75 reconstruction from Exit 6 south to Western Hills Viaduct

Those last three are good ones too. Great suggestions. Also, I just recalled that Ohio Bypass 4 has been turned into a "Superstreet" in the last few years.

Sounds like the October dates are pretty good for a bunch of you preliminarily. I'd like to post a poll next week to see which of those work best to get the highest attendance, but let's see if we can get additional responses.

seicer

Let me know. I may or may not still be living in Cincinnati and can recommend a GOOD place to eat (Eli's). It's on Riverside Drive - a good example of what road dieting can do for an area, and Bike Route 1/Business Bike Route 1.

hbelkins

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on June 14, 2013, 07:14:20 AM
I may or may not still be living in Cincinnati

Are you moving to Alanland?  :-D

Alps

Let me know. I may or may not still be living in Cincinnati and can recommend a GOOD place to eat (Eli's). It's on Riverside Drive - a good example of what road dieting can do for an area, and Bike Route 1/Business Bike Route 1.
So you're saying Riverside Drive is shitty to drive on and we should have the meet elsewhere? Ten-4.

JMoses24

Quote from: Steve on June 14, 2013, 04:47:44 PM
So you're saying Riverside Drive is shitty to drive on and we should have the meet elsewhere? Ten-4.

I don't think the point was that Riverside Drive is BAD, in fact I think it's that taking it from 4 lanes to 2 is a good thing.

That being said, I need to slide over that way and check this place out, and I'll undertake to do that in the next 2 weeks. Something I have to keep in mind is that accessibility for wheelchairs can be different from one place to another. One joint might have been built way, way pre-ADA and hasn't been brought up to code, and the place next door might have full accessibility.

NE2

Seems a little weird to have a road diet on a designated truck route.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

A.J. Bertin

Yay... a Cincinnati meet! At this point I think I'm pretty open for any weekend in September or October except for the first two weekends in September.
-A.J. from Michigan

JMoses24

A poll has been added to this thread. (I wasn't aware it was possible to DO that.)

By the way, October 26 is a GO for me as well now.

hbelkins

I have no preference. Right now, any day in October is good for me.

A.J. Bertin

Right now I have no preference either. Any Saturday in October is good. Once you announce it officially, I will put it on my calendar and will plan to attend!  :)
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Like AJ and HB, I am wide open except the last weekend of the month, I voted for 10/12 for a prefered date.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

bugo

Quote from: JMoses24 on June 15, 2013, 01:39:32 AM
I don't think the point was that Riverside Drive is BAD, in fact I think it's that taking it from 4 lanes to 2 is a good thing.

Removing capacity is never a good thing.

JMoses24

Quote from: bugo on June 26, 2013, 01:14:21 AM
Quote from: JMoses24 on June 15, 2013, 01:39:32 AM
Removing capacity is never a good thing.

Very true.

We're slowly narrowing this down. I'm wide open to either of those 10/5 or 10/12 dates. Some more votes would help to narrow this, of course but based on a couple people's posts earlier, I'm leaning toward 10/12.

hbelkins

I placed a vote for Oct. 26. That's the weekend of the annual festival in my hometown, and having a meet to go to would give me a good opportunity to get out of town for that day.

But at this point, any day in October is good. If need be, I can definitely do a trip to Cincy and back in one day.

getemngo

October 12 is both my dad's birthday and my 6-month anniversary, so that's a no-go. But I think I'm open to any of the other dates.
~ Sam from Michigan

JMoses24

Quote from: getemngo on June 26, 2013, 04:56:47 PM
October 12 is both my dad's birthday and my 6-month anniversary, so that's a no-go. But I think I'm open to any of the other dates.

Yeah, those would kind of put a kink in getting out of town! Family first, for sure. Totally understand if you can't make that date, if that's the one set. I'm continuing voting as we have a dead heat between the 26th and the 12th, which I still lean to the latter. I would like to have the date locked by next Friday so that folks may put in for vacation time if needed.

vdeane

While I voted for the 12th, if I did a trip that weekend, it would more likely be through the New England area since that's currently calling to me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on June 28, 2013, 10:21:07 PM
While I voted for the 12th, if I did a trip that weekend, it would more likely be through the New England area since that's currently calling to me.
Keep me posted, I'm up for something in the northern half since I have a lot of roads left there. Cinci's too far after having already done Ashland, though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.