News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cincinnati/NKY Meet

Started by JMoses24, June 13, 2013, 03:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which date works best for a Cincinnati meet?

October 5
1 (16.7%)
October 12
2 (33.3%)
October 19
1 (16.7%)
October 26
2 (33.3%)
Sometime in November
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

codyg1985

So far Oct 26th is out for me, but the other days work for me.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

JMoses24

Alright, folks. I am setting the date. It will be October 12. Tentative start time 11 AM Local. More details to follow and a Facebook event to be created.

NOTE: Just now getting back on the site here, as I am dealing with an ongoing family emergency.

A.J. Bertin

I'll be there and look forward to meeting you!
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

I think I'll be there as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JMoses24

Once I get a chance to hit the restaurant Sherman suggested, I'll have a better idea of what we'll need to do. Preliminarily from Google Maps, there may not be enough room for all to park their cars at Eli's during the tour without causing significant inconvenience to their business, but I will get over there and confirm this tonight or tomorrow. A second parking location may be necessary (perhaps in the Central Business District, which will put us within 5 minutes of the 6th Street Viaduct worksite).

hbelkins

The last Cincinnati meet was held at Buckhead Mountain Grill across the river in Newport/Bellevue. It was a good venue with plenty of parking. Might be worth considering, if the I-471 paving is done and all the lanes on the bridge are back open.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on July 15, 2013, 10:42:34 PM
The last Cincinnati meet was held at Buckhead Mountain Grill across the river in Newport/Bellevue. It was a good venue with plenty of parking. Might be worth considering, if the I-471 paving is done and all the lanes on the bridge are back open.

I've been there and it's solid. Newport on the Levee is also a possibility with several restaurants there. Southbound I-471 work may be done by October. Northbound was finished last year.

DanTheMan414

Right now October 12th is looking good on my end, too.  (For what it's worth, it's almost 10 years to date of the first larger-scale Cincy meet.)  I'm looking forward to seeing how much has changed around the Cincy area.

codyg1985

I should be able to go depending on how prepared I am for the upcoming PE exam on October 25th.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jpi

At this pint I am a definite yes for this.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

JMoses24

Facebook event created. Buckhead looks like it will be a good location, but I'd like your thoughts on this on the event page or discussion can be continued here (a general consensus amongst attendees will suffice to determine this). Please RSVP at the below link.

https://www.facebook.com/events/611041795593268/

hbelkins

I don't RSVP to Facebook events, but I do plan to be there. This would be an easy day trip for me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

Count me in also!  Looking forward to meeting all of you.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Janko Dialnice

I was invited through the Facebook page, and I had to decline, but I forgot to post my rejection message here. Being that I have several other plans for the fall (one definite road meet, one rumored road meet, annual housecleaning, etc.), I won't have enough vacation time left to make the trip to Cincinnati. Again, I will be with you guys in spirit, and will watch for the commentary and photos, when it takes place.

Laura

A no for me and Mike. At 8.5-9 hours each way, it is not comfortably doable without either the friday or monday off. Also, my college homecoming is the following weekend, which we are turning into a weekend trip.

jpi

I am now 100% in for this, I even have the Friday (day before) off so Steph and I plan to get into the Florence, KY area sometime that evening and may stay Saturday night in the Middletown area and hot the ginormous flea market on sunday :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

I will definitely be there, and I may have 2 or 3 people joining me for the lunch portion of the meet (they'll probably go and do their own thing while the rest of us go on our tour).
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

AJ- If Chris comes along with you, me and him may talk more music then roads! ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: jpi on August 28, 2013, 07:28:56 PM
AJ- If Chris comes along with you, me and him may talk more music then roads! ;-)

Haha... that's awesome. I'd probably be talking to both of you about pop music and radio a lot too - more than roads. I actually just sent Chris a note asking him how serious he is about wanting to come along. He's curious about what a road meet is, but I wonder how much he'd be interested in seeing the roads. My partner Brian and brother Dave are definitely planning to come down, but they'll go off and do their own thing while the rest of us are on the tour.

I'm getting excited about this!
-A.J. from Michigan

JMoses24

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 28, 2013, 11:34:15 PM

Haha... that's awesome. I'd probably be talking to both of you about pop music and radio a lot too - more than roads. I actually just sent Chris a note asking him how serious he is about wanting to come along. He's curious about what a road meet is, but I wonder how much he'd be interested in seeing the roads. My partner Brian and brother Dave are definitely planning to come down, but they'll go off and do their own thing while the rest of us are on the tour.

Music is another major interest for me as well. Maybe roadgeeking isn't the only interest several of us will have in common? LOL

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: JMoses24 on September 03, 2013, 03:44:58 AM

Music is another major interest for me as well. Maybe roadgeeking isn't the only interest several of us will have in common? LOL

Well, the interest that the three of us (Jason, myself, and our friend Chris who will be coming too) is really about FM radio stations and the formats/music they play. Jason met Chris through me on Facebook a couple years ago, and the two of them (along with me) often talk about our favorite pop/rock music, the radio stations, and so on. Jason and Chris have never met in person before, so this will finally be their chance.

As of now, I'm about 90 percent certain that I will have three people coming with me. All three of them will join us for lunch, but two of them (my significant other and brother) will go off and do their own thing while Chris and I join the tour.
-A.J. from Michigan

bandit957

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 03, 2013, 12:11:29 PM
Well, the interest that the three of us (Jason, myself, and our friend Chris who will be coming too) is really about FM radio stations and the formats/music they play.

I used to be interested in this too, but after 1996, radio got so bad that it's not even interesting anymore.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

JMoses24

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 03, 2013, 12:11:29 PM
Quote from: JMoses24 on September 03, 2013, 03:44:58 AM

Well, the interest that the three of us (Jason, myself, and our friend Chris who will be coming too) is really about FM radio stations and the formats/music they play. Jason met Chris through me on Facebook a couple years ago, and the two of them (along with me) often talk about our favorite pop/rock music, the radio stations, and so on. Jason and Chris have never met in person before, so this will finally be their chance.

As of now, I'm about 90 percent certain that I will have three people coming with me. All three of them will join us for lunch, but two of them (my significant other and brother) will go off and do their own thing while Chris and I join the tour.

Yeah, it's the same thing with me! Wow. Craziness.

I can't wait to host this meet.

Here's what I have as an itinerary (no real plan as to order yet) of places to check out:

Brent Spence Bridge (much talked about as it is in need of replacement)
Sixth Street Viaduct Construction
I-75/74 Work in Northside along with some old signage in the area nearby (PROBABLE meet photo in the vicinity)
Western Hills Viaduct
The American Sign Museum is on the west side of Cincinnati -- hours 10A-4P so we may or may not be able to make that stop, it is worth seeing
Two roundabouts near Northern Kentucky University campus
Possible: Ohio 4 Superstreet in Fairfield area

seicer

You'll be within minutes of my house in Northside.

* Western Hills Viaduct. I attended the kick off meeting last year, and preliminary engineering studies will be made available September 17. The viaduct is scheduled for replacement and at the rate the I-75 project is going, may be coordinated with that.
* Good vantage point of I-75 work at Mitchell from either the cemetery to the south of Mitchell or Kessler Place in Bond Hill to the north.
* I-74/Colerain Avenue interchange reconstruction. The last of the stubs are being removed and it will finally be a full interchange.
* Central Parkway bikeway. One lane of Central Parkway is programmed to be removed and converted into a two-way, separated bike path. The parkway has been so mangled over time with lane additions and drops and awkward intersections, and has seen less traffic over the years. It's also one of the city's most used bike routes.
* Kennedy Avenue connector in Oakley/Columbia Township.
* I-75 in Lockland. Houses along Forrer are scheduled for demolition to accommodate widening.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 09, 2013, 03:24:50 PM
* I-75 in Lockland. Houses along Forrer are scheduled for demolition to accommodate widening.

several state-named I-75 shields in that area.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.