News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cincinnati/NKY Meet

Started by JMoses24, June 13, 2013, 03:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which date works best for a Cincinnati meet?

October 5
1 (16.7%)
October 12
2 (33.3%)
October 19
1 (16.7%)
October 26
2 (33.3%)
Sometime in November
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

JMoses24

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 09, 2013, 03:24:50 PM
You'll be within minutes of my house in Northside.

* Western Hills Viaduct. I attended the kick off meeting last year, and preliminary engineering studies will be made available September 17. The viaduct is scheduled for replacement and at the rate the I-75 project is going, may be coordinated with that.
* Good vantage point of I-75 work at Mitchell from either the cemetery to the south of Mitchell or Kessler Place in Bond Hill to the north.
* I-74/Colerain Avenue interchange reconstruction. The last of the stubs are being removed and it will finally be a full interchange.
* Central Parkway bikeway. One lane of Central Parkway is programmed to be removed and converted into a two-way, separated bike path. The parkway has been so mangled over time with lane additions and drops and awkward intersections, and has seen less traffic over the years. It's also one of the city's most used bike routes.
* Kennedy Avenue connector in Oakley/Columbia Township.
* I-75 in Lockland. Houses along Forrer are scheduled for demolition to accommodate widening.

I'd forgotten the Kennedy Connector and will get that into my schedule this week. I-74/Colerain was on the above list (grouped in with I-75).

Thanks for the info on some potential vantage points for I-75/Mitchell and the Lockland area. Those will definitely be on the list.

For the Brent Spence Bridge, one of the better views is from Devou Park in Covington on a hillside.

I will have to get my hands on the studies next week. Do a little homework, as it were.

NE2

Can the subway entrance still be seen? It's not roads but poo.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on September 09, 2013, 09:42:57 PM

The tunnel mouth that can be seen from I-71? Yes, still visible, but you almost have to be looking for it.

If you're going to see the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge, it might be worth also taking Wilmington Rd through the valley (preferably in something smaller than a full-size van).  Also, the contractor sometimes closes a lane on the bridge on weekend mornings, causing significant backups.  If you can figure out which direction of I-71 is affected, Wilmington Rd makes an enjoyable alternate.

The Arby's on 22/3 at I-71 (exit 12 or 14 or thereabouts) has a 9-piece mozzarella sticks for a very reasonable price.

Heading eastbound on Fort Washington Way, don't look directly at the rotating clock on the Western Southern Life parking garage at the same time the clock faces you directly.

If the meet were on a Tuesday or Wednesday, I could probably attend.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

JMoses24

Quote from: vtk on September 09, 2013, 11:00:56 PM

The tunnel mouth that can be seen from I-71? Yes, still visible, but you almost have to be looking for it.

If you're going to see the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge, it might be worth also taking Wilmington Rd through the valley (preferably in something smaller than a full-size van).  Also, the contractor sometimes closes a lane on the bridge on weekend mornings, causing significant backups.  If you can figure out which direction of I-71 is affected, Wilmington Rd makes an enjoyable alternate.

The Arby's on 22/3 at I-71 (exit 12 or 14 or thereabouts) has a 9-piece mozzarella sticks for a very reasonable price.

Heading eastbound on Fort Washington Way, don't look directly at the rotating clock on the Western Southern Life parking garage at the same time the clock faces you directly.

If the meet were on a Tuesday or Wednesday, I could probably attend.

Another good point of interest, that subway system. I know there's a couple portals on the western side of the city as well.

Thanks for the note about Wilmington Road. That, I can't get up and check as easily.

vtk

Here's the specific route I've used in the past when they've closed a NB lane for concrete pours: Google Maps freakishly long link.  This past Saturday morning they had a SB lane closed for crew-lift equipment, causing a 4-mile backup.  I missed my chance to avoid it at the OH 73 exit because I didn't know, and by the time I got to Wilmington Rd it was pointless to exit because I was almost through.

seicer

The portal that is visible going SB I-75 leads into the downtown loop. It's visible but sealed. Going NB, there is the Hopple Street tunnel, but it is boring, empty and ends at a wall.

bandit957

There's a couple really old signs in Bellevue/Dayton. I can tell you right where they are, if we're patient. One is on Covert Run Pike. The other is on Berry Street in Dayton. Also there's a really old sign on Berry in Bellevue.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

agentsteel53

Quote from: bandit957 on September 10, 2013, 08:37:49 PM
There's a couple really old signs in Bellevue/Dayton. I can tell you right where they are, if we're patient. One is on Covert Run Pike. The other is on Berry Street in Dayton. Also there's a really old sign on Berry in Bellevue.

which ones are these?  I know the purple porcelain street blade, and the '57 spec I-71 shield... there's a third?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

JMoses24

I am DEFINITELY up for finding these. I'll add that to the list.

bandit957

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 10, 2013, 08:56:14 PM

which ones are these?  I know the purple porcelain street blade, and the '57 spec I-71 shield... there's a third?

1) An old warning sign with an AAA logo on Berry in Dayton KY.

2) An END COUNTY MAINTENANCE sign on Covert Run. This sign is in great condition, but I know it's ancient, since it's embossed and uses the old squarish font.

3) An old clearance sign on the trestle on Berry in Bellevue.

I'll try to think of more, but those come to mind right away.

bandit957

Come to think, there's also an old purple street blade on a building in Bellevue. I think it's at Fairfield & O'Fallon. I'm not 100% sure though.

bandit957

Also, I think there was an old wooden sign on McKinney in Dayton KY, but it's been a few years since I've been up there, so it might be gone now. Besides, that's a residential area.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bandit957 on September 12, 2013, 05:52:13 PM

is it the "SCHOOL 20 MPH" sign?

jake@aaroads.com

bandit957

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 12, 2013, 06:02:34 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on September 12, 2013, 05:52:13 PM

is it the "SCHOOL 20 MPH" sign?

I believe so. It's a yellow square sign.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bandit957 on September 12, 2013, 06:17:48 PM

I believe so. It's a yellow square sign.

I remember when you pointed me towards some sights in July 2007.  good to know those classics are still kicking!

jake@aaroads.com

Dr Frankenstein

20% probability here. So, if I add the 20% of the US 460/Corridor Q meet, there's a 40% chance that I'll go to either this or the other (but not both), and a 60% chance I won't go to any of them.

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 16, 2013, 02:31:31 PM
20% probability here. So, if I add the 20% of the US 460/Corridor Q meet, there's a 40% chance that I'll go to either this or the other (but not both), and a 60% chance I won't go to any of them.
That's not right at all. It's multiplicative, and you're assuming independent utility.
* Let's first keep the independent utility assumption. There's a 64% chance you go to neither, a 4% chance you go to both, and the remaining 32% is split evenly between this meet and that meet.
* Now let's destroy independent utility. Once you've already committed to driving as far as Kentucky, are you really going to do it again the next week? It's probably a reasonable assumption to set the probability to 0% if you return home in the intervening week. So what's the probability of you taking a weeklong vacation and seeing both meets, one on either side of the vacation? Probably lower than 20%. It may well be 4%, but it may not be.
~ Question 1: Do you have any preference toward either meet? I'll assume that you do not. Otherwise the math gets complicated.
~ Question 2: What is your probability of a weeklong vacation? Let's say 6%, just to shake things up.
So now that we know your chance of attending both is 6%, and your overall chance of attending one is 20%, your actual chance of attending neither is 66% - 6 + 14 + 14 out of 100. This makes sense intuitively - if your chance of taking a weeklong vacation were 20%, then we automatically know that's the same 20% as going to either meet, so you're either doing both or none.

Takumi

I was told there would be no math.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JMoses24

I had nothing to do with the math. :)

usends

If any of you are so inclined while you're there, usends.com could really use some newer/better photos from the north terminus of US 25... which (from what I can see of signage on Street View) I suspect Ohio doesn't even include on their route log anymore.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

vtk

Not sure if this is relevant to usends because I forget which routes, but SB on the CW Bailey Bridge I spotted some acorn shields a few days ago.

hbelkins

Probably Kentucky installs. Kentucky has gone to a really funky looking 2-digit US route marker as of late.

Did it look like the one on the right in this photo? (The Business US 127 sign).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JMoses24

Quote from: vtk on September 19, 2013, 01:58:45 PM
Not sure if this is relevant to usends because I forget which routes, but SB on the CW Bailey Bridge I spotted some acorn shields a few days ago.

I'll get up there and check that out.

For those planning to attend and stay in the vicinity overnight, a note: The Days Inn off I-75 Exit 188 is CLOSED for good. They cite slow business and the upcoming Brent Spence Bridge project as their reasoning.

vtk

Quote from: hbelkins on September 19, 2013, 02:18:49 PM
Probably Kentucky installs. Kentucky has gone to a really funky looking 2-digit US route marker as of late.

Did it look like the one on the right in this photo? (The Business US 127 sign).

Yeah, that's probably exactly the shape I saw.

JMoses24

Quote from: vtk on September 19, 2013, 01:58:45 PM

It would be relevant for USends, because that bridge is the aforementioned north terminus for US 25. Unfortunately, I didn't spot those shields when I passed through over the weekend.

As a note to attendees, an I-471 repaving project is in the closing stages now. Over the weekend the KY Transportation Cabinet had I-471 southbound down to a single lane from downtown to Interstate 275 to restore the original configuration. That means that for the meet, there should be no restrictions on I-471.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.