News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

MassDOT Releases Draft FY 2014-2018 Transportation Plan

Started by bob7374, January 10, 2014, 12:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

MassDOT has released its Draft FY 2014-1018 Transportation Capital Investment Plan, a link to which can be found in this press release: http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/massdot-releases-five-year-investment-plan/

Among the highway related projects it promotes are the replacement of the I-91 Viaduct through Springfield, the reconstruction of the I-93/I-95 interchange in Canton, and the installation of electronic tolling along the Mass Pike and other toll facilities. There also is a project to realign the Mass Pike/I-90 in the Allston Tolls area. One thing that is not mentioned is the plan to switch exit numbers to milepost based numbers proposed to start during the 5-year period the plan covers. The only future sign replacement project mentioned is along the MassPike from West Stockbridge to Boston starting in FY 2016. Current sign contracts along I-95 (Newton to Lexington and Peabody to Georgetown) are mentioned along with, somewhat curiously, the completed I-93 contract north of Boston (but not the current south of Boston project). Assuming the proposed exit renumbering plans are still in place, does MassDOT plan to cover the costs of exit sign work under statewide or district Interstate maintenance funds or generic sign replacement contracts?

PHLBOS

I'm surprised that the reconfiguration of the I-93/95 in Woburn isn't mentioned/included either.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

KEVIN_224

How would they replace the I-91 viaduct in Springfield?

vdeane

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 10, 2014, 12:23:15 PM
I'm surprised that the reconfiguration of the I-93/95 in Woburn isn't mentioned/included either.
Considering that I-95 northbound traffic currently has to merge into one lane and go around a loop ramp, IMO Woburn can wait.  The Canton junction has needed replacing ever since I-95 was put onto MA 128.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on January 10, 2014, 03:55:36 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 10, 2014, 12:23:15 PM
Considering that I-95 northbound traffic currently has to merge into one lane and go around a loop ramp, IMO Woburn can wait.  The Canton junction has needed replacing ever since I-95 was put onto MA 128.
Understood; however I've seen traffic along I-95 approaching that I-93 interchange (Exit 37) in Woburn back up for at least 3 to 5 miles in both directions.  Last Dec. 28, while heading from Marblehead to Sturbridge; I literally had to bail out of I-95 southbound in Wakefield (at Exit 39) and take back roads to get back on beyond Burlington (Exit 32A).  According to the traffic reports the jam-up was not due to an accident but just high volume.

According to a 2007 MassDOT Transportation Study (in the Executive Summary); that interchange alone handles over 375,000 vehicles per day; more than any other interchange in New England.
Scroll down to Page 8

In comparison, the volumes at the Canton interchange are much lower than those at the Woburn interchange.
2007 ADT Volumes & AM/PM Peak Volumes

Don't misunderstand me, the Canton interchange needs to be re-worked/reconfigured; however,  IMHO, both interchanges should've been included.

Roadman may know the answer to the below:

When did the DPW start redesigning (as opposed to reconstructing) the original Canton interchange to its current trumpet configuration? 

I have to wonder if the current trumpet design on paper intially dates back to when the DPW thought despite the Southwest Expressway being cancelled, the Extension of the Northeast Expressway (I-95) north of Boston through Lynn was still going to be built (circa 1970-1971).  Such a scenario would've had I-95 run along the current southern leg of I-93 (YDH/128, Southeast Expressway & Central Artery) and the loop ramp (onto 128 North) would not have carried the through-I-95 North movements. 

Something tells me that when the decision was made to can both of the unbuilt I-95 segments inside of 128; rather than redesign the interchange again and delay addressing the weaving movements along northbound 128 at the interchange that existed at the time (merging traffic from I-95 North to the original I-95 South cloverleaf exit ramp), the DPW decided to go with the trumpet redesign despite the shifting of I-95 North from old 128 South onto 128 North.

For those unfamiliar with how the original Canton I-95/MA 128 interchange looked like with all its ramps in tact:
Canton Interchange Circa 1971
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 10, 2014, 01:33:17 PM
How would they replace the I-91 viaduct in Springfield?
Reconstruction is probably the better term to use here. I assume the existing viaduct will remain while some lanes are closed and the road surface replaced.

southshore720

Looks like we won't be seeing MA 24 upgrades this decade...may the high speed crashes live on!   X-(

hotdogPi

No road parallels 95/128 in Woburn. The closest that parallels it is MA 62. This means there will be a lot of traffic on 95/128 since there are no back roads that are easy to use.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SidS1045

Quote from: vdeane on January 10, 2014, 12:23:15 PM

IIRC, the Reading-Stoneham-Woburn 93/95 junction is not only the busiest but also the most accident-prone location in the Commonwealth, and its traffic backups (as PHLBOS pointed out) are legendary, exacerbated by the fact that I-95 N reduces from four lanes to three at this interchange, plus the Washington Street and MA 28 interchanges are less than half a mile in either direction on I-95.  Lots of entrances, exits and lane changes going on in the space of less than one mile.

I live about a mile from the interchange, and I avoid it like the plague unless it's very late at night.

The PTB have been talking about a solution for years already, but one of the sticking points is the crushing cost of land-takings.  No matter which design is agreed upon (out of four or five being considered), some homes will have to be taken in portions of three suburbs which are not exactly low-rent districts.  At best, taking three or four homes in that area can, just by themselves, cost a million dollars, and many homes in those towns are way more expensive than that.  That adds up fast.  Also, some of the buildings which would be in the way of one or more of the proposed solutions are commercial businesses in Woburn, which will cost even more to take by eminent domain.  This is one of those dilemmas whose solution is guaranteed to pi** off lots of people, and once the decision is made (if it's ever made), expect it to be tied up in court for even longer.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.