News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Speed Limit 60 in NJ?

Started by bzakharin, April 07, 2015, 09:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Saw the sign fully uncovered today. It really does say "Speed Limit 60" in a really ugly font. Westbound, Mile marker 41.2, construction zone. Apparently it's intentional.

jeffandnicole

I am going to have to make a detour on my way home tomorrow!

In that area is supposed to be a median crossover project, in case they need to contraflow the EB lanes for Westbound traffic in the event of an evacuation.  Even though it's on the Expressway, it's an NJDOT financed project.

NJRoadfan

Why is broke NJDOT funding toll road work? I could see if it was a NJTPA road since they get a chunk of cash from them yearly, but I don't think that is the case with the SJTA.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 13, 2015, 09:35:57 PM
I am going to have to make a detour on my way home tomorrow!

In that area is supposed to be a median crossover project, in case they need to contraflow the EB lanes for Westbound traffic in the event of an evacuation.  Even though it's on the Expressway, it's an NJDOT financed project.
Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 13, 2015, 11:28:26 PM
Why is broke NJDOT funding toll road work? I could see if it was a NJTPA road since they get a chunk of cash from them yearly, but I don't think that is the case with the SJTA.

Here's the tabulation report: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabs14462.pdf

roadman65

I always thought that New Jersey lowered speed limits down by 15 mph in construction work areas.  When I-287 had some bridge repairs between River Road in Piscataway and NJ 28 in Bridgewater back in 85 and 86, the speed limits at time of work was 40 mph because back then I-287 was 55 at that time.   

I have seen some 50 zones reduced to 35 in my years of living there. Only did I see the GSP go 10 below the posted speed, but the Parkway always was different as they were not part of NJDOT except in the former at grade parkway intersections, the 80- 83 section, and the 129- 140 section before 1987.  Thus I cannot remember the great widening of 1979 and 1980 between the NJ Turnpike and Route 22 that had a lower speed limit during the phase to be sure what it was.  At that particular time NJDOT owned the roadway there.

Anyway, that 15 mph difference was plenty in those days.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Speed limits in work zones vary greatly in NJ.  It almost appears it's up to the individual contractor as to what the limit should be reduced to.  There also seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what limits are used where.

On highways (and we'll exclude the toll roads), 45 mph still tends to be common in both 55 and 65 zones.  But, 50 and 55 mph in a 65 have also been used.  On the 295/76/42 project, they reduced the limit to 45 mph.  Except...the wrap on one of the 65 mph signs came off, and they've never replaced it.  Hell, they've literally plowed the dirt around the sign and didn't cover it up again, so it's not like it's not accessible (and I doubt they can leave the sign in the same spot permanently anyway based on the new road's configuration).  So there's one area with a 65 mph zone in a permanent work zone!  A 55 mph sign on I-76 is uncovered as well in what should otherwise be a 45 mph work zone.

For temporary construction (say, they close a lane down during the day or overnight, but have it reopen for rush hour), typically they don't reduce the speed limit.

bzakharin

If I'm not mistaken, there is a short area of 35 MPH on I-295 through the interchange construction. I've seen construction zones with posted speeds equal to the regular speed limit elsewhere in the state too.

02 Park Ave

That 35 mph sector was at that speed limit before the construction work commenced.  So it was probably considered suitable and, accordingly, not lowered.
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on April 14, 2015, 04:18:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there is a short area of 35 MPH on I-295 through the interchange construction. I've seen construction zones with posted speeds equal to the regular speed limit elsewhere in the state too.
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on April 14, 2015, 04:28:47 PM
That 35 mph sector was at that speed limit before the construction work commenced.  So it was probably considered suitable and, accordingly, not lowered.

Here's a few interesting tidbits about that:

Yes, it always has been(*) 35 mph thru the curves on both 295 North and South.  (None were updated to say 'Work Zone')

But...due to the construction work, many of the 35 mph signs were in the way, removed, and only a few were replaced.  There's actually fewer 35 mph signs out there than before the construction started. 

On the Northbound side after you passed thru the 76/42 area, there's a "45 mph ahead" sign (the newer type with the speed limit sign and the arrow pointing up).  It's one of the few instances where you'll see this type sign mark a speed *increase*.

Prior to the construction on 295 North, at least signage wise, the 35 mph zone didn't end until after I-76 East to I-295 North ramp met up with 295 North.  In the construction zone, the newer 45 mph work zone speed limits signs are posted prior to this merge point.  So technically, signage wise, there's a 10 mph INCREASE in the construction zone! lol

For what it's worth, I have never seen or heard anyone someone getting stopped in the 35 mph zone.

(*)The long history (as seen in pictures on a newspaper's website) was that there used to be 40 mph advisory limits going into the curves prior to the mid 1970's.  Due to people not adhering to them resulting in some spectacular accidents, they officially posted 35 mph speed limits thru the interchange.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on April 13, 2015, 08:27:41 PM
Saw the sign fully uncovered today. It really does say "Speed Limit 60" in a really ugly font. Westbound, Mile marker 41.2, construction zone. Apparently it's intentional.

I drove by today, both directions, and while there has been noticeable work done repaving the shoulders, all the work zone signs are covered, including the 'Fines Doubled in Work Zones' and all speed limit signs.  Traffic wise, the work zone area is going to be a simple lane shift to the right, using the right lane and right shoulder.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on April 08, 2015, 07:14:21 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 08, 2015, 08:36:06 AM
I will say, now that I remember it, that I did see a 60 mph speed limit on the NJ Turnpike, once.  It was on one of the now-defunct vane display (seven segment) speed limit signs.  The sign before and after didn't have 60 mph. 

Due to the high tendency of those signs to not work properly, my guess is that 60 wasn't what it was supposed to say.  50 would be the next reasonable guess (60 would show if the lower left vertical bar was stuck), but that's a rarely used speed on the Turnpike.
On the Turnpike mainline, all speeds end in 5. 65 or 55 is normal, subtract 10 for a work zone, 10 more for a complex work zone (multiple lane closures or shifts). My guess is that it meant to say 65 and was misprogrammed. I can't think of any circumstance when I've seen an x0 limit.

The Newark Bay Extension has a 50mph speed limit normally. It usually gets reduced to 45 if there's road work. I don't think I've ever seen the mainline Turnpike have a x0 speed limit. Usually 65, 55, 45, or 35 if the conditions are bad enough.

CrossCountryRoads

Quote from: roadman65 on April 07, 2015, 10:13:10 AM
That is very interesting that there is no 60 mph in not only NJ but many other states.  Its either 55 or 65, or better yet everything from 25 to 55 in 5 increments, then goes over 60 to 65.

Only in FL on two lane roads do we use 60 and some four lane rural highways and recently I-4 near Orlando in two places, plus MO on two lane roads, and Indiana uses it for rural four lane non freeway roads.

In NJ, DE, PA, NY, and possibly the NE states skip over 60 for some reason.  I find that most interesting.

I also have always found it interesting that PA doesn't have a single 60 mph speed limit.  There are plenty of roads posted at 55 mph which would be more suited to 60 mph speed limits.  Even some 60 mph speed limits could be posted in certain works zones, but it's always 55 or 50 on Interstates.  One stretch that immediately comes to mind in which I feel a 60 mph speed limit would be in order is on I-79 to the west of Pittsburgh.

jeffandnicole

New Jersey does now have a legitimate, bonafide 60 mph limit in the construction zone on the AC Expressway near Exit 41.  The first pic is on the EB side; the 2nd pic looking across the median at the WB side.

bzakharin

Those are the ones I was talking about before. Are they permanent though? There are new reduced speed ahead signs, the pictograph versions with 55 on them in that area

jeffandnicole

They are just work zone speed limits, although without the 'Work Zone' sign that sometimes accompanies the reduced limits.

Going eastbound, I didn't see any reduced limit ahead signs; just the single pair of Speed Limit 60 signs.  I didn't go westbound.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 02, 2015, 12:14:58 PM
They are just work zone speed limits, although without the 'Work Zone' sign that sometimes accompanies the reduced limits.

Going eastbound, I didn't see any reduced limit ahead signs; just the single pair of Speed Limit 60 signs.  I didn't go westbound.
The reduced speed signs are Westbound and, I think, permanent because they replaced the old written "reduced speed ahead" signs, and because similar signs were installed going Eastbound approaching exit 7S.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on June 02, 2015, 12:27:32 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 02, 2015, 12:14:58 PM

The reduced speed signs are Westbound and, I think, permanent because they replaced the old written "reduced speed ahead" signs, and because similar signs were installed going Eastbound approaching exit 7S.

Oh, you're talking about the Reduced limit ahead signs at the end of the Expressway WB where it meets Rt. 42.  Yeah, they are new and permanent - that is simply the new standard reduced speed limit sign.  (I thought you were referring to them in combination with this construction project earlier!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.