News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY Thruway Berkshire Spur

Started by Buummu, May 07, 2011, 01:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buummu

Why isn't the spur being I-90? Since I-90 is the NY Thruway for most of the its length (except for the section in Albany), I don't see why they don't multiplex I-90 with I-87, then head east on the Berkshire Spur..... The current I-90 leaves the NY Thruway at the I-87 Western interchange, then connects with the NY Thruway Berkshire Spur at the eastern end. That section of I-90 should be I-88 (since there are no I-x90s left). This could mean... I-88/I-90 multiplex, unfortunately.

This is not Fictional Highways.

Snappyjack

Well before the current I-90 was built through Albany, that indeed was the setup. I-90 continued to I-87 and they were multiplexed until exit 24.

I always though they could use a spur of 87, such as 487 or something, as technically, you could get to 87 from both ends. But perhaps it would lead to confusion with 787 being there too.

And there actually was a plan to link 88 and 90 together in the late 90's, rename current 90 to 88, and route 90 along with 87 again, but ultimately that plan was scrapped.

Alps

I think that any routing of I-90 from 24 to B1 was known to be a temporary condition (assuming the I-90 construction that indeed proceeded). I would probably be more surprised if it had been signed "Temporary" than just plain I-90, so I assume it was just signed with plain shields?

There's no incentive to make the Berkshire Spur an Interstate. It's a toll highway that wasn't on the original system, so at this point it wouldn't get Federal funding regardless of designation. If they had kept a number on it when I-90 originally left, maybe that would have changed the scenario. Maybe not, again because this wasn't intended to be the permanent condition. Now, why didn't NYSDOT seek to have it included in the system in the first place back in the 50s? No clue, and I'd be interested to know if this was just an omission or if there was a concerted reason behind it. At this point, To 90 East and To 87 South are fine.

froggie

There might have been a possibility at one point.  Back in the '60s/early '70s era, there was a NYSDOT/Capital Region proposal for several additional freeways in the Capital Region.  One such freeway was to have been an "outer loop" of sorts, running from Thruway Exit 25 (I-890) south and southeastward, passing west of Westmere, Slingerlands, and Delmar, and tying back into the Thruway very close to the Berkshire Spur.  Such a scenario would have easily allowed for the Spur to become an I-890 extension...I-890 (or a NY 890) would have been the most logical number for such a route given its proposed location.

Jim

As it stands now, you can pretty much think of the segment between B1 and the mainline Thruway as some really long ramps, with a major Hudson River bridge, connecting I-87 to I-90.

Having lived in the area all my life, I'm used to the current numbering.  I do wonder if people less familiar get confused by it -- especially EB on I-90 coming up on Exit 24.  A traveler expecting to take I-90 right into Boston is suddenly presented with a bunch of signs saying to stay on the Thruway, which is becoming I-87, to get to Boston.

Or westbound on I-90 coming up on Exit B1:

I imagine nothing will change in the setup unless New York decides to do a mileage-based exit renumbering and can get both the Thruway and DOT to cooperate on consistent mileposts and exits numbers for I-87 and I-90.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

NE2

Quote from: Jim on May 07, 2011, 09:04:33 AM
As it stands now, you can pretty much think of the segment between B1 and the mainline Thruway as some really long ramps, with a major Hudson River bridge, connecting I-87 to I-90.
Much like unsigned I-495 in Maine.

Having lived in the area all my life, I'm used to the current numbering.  I do wonder if people less familiar get confused by it -- especially EB on I-90 coming up on Exit 24.  A traveler expecting to take I-90 right into Boston is suddenly presented with a bunch of signs saying to stay on the Thruway, which is becoming I-87, to get to Boston.
This is common whenever there's a bypass. Virginia uses a nice diagram: http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-295_va.html
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

akotchi

The arrangement of the destinations also reflects the NYSTA's philosophy of keeping through traffic on the toll portion of the highway system -- maximizes revenue opporunities.  Both sets of signs pictured above are on the toll highway.  No matter how the highways or exits are numbered in this area, the destinations would likely remain the same.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Buummu

Hmm... alright, I was just wondering... thanks for all the responses!

jemacedo9

Quote from: NE2 on May 07, 2011, 10:07:12 AM
This is common whenever there's a bypass. Virginia uses a nice diagram: http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-295_va.html

That diagram in VA is great...I wish other states did that with their 3di bypasses!

Buummu

I like how I-295 bypass is designed and routed.. just like what every city should have done.

Alps

Quote from: akotchi on May 07, 2011, 10:51:06 AM
The arrangement of the destinations also reflects the NYSTA's philosophy of keeping through traffic on the toll portion of the highway system -- maximizes revenue opporunities.  Both sets of signs pictured above are on the toll highway.  No matter how the highways or exits are numbered in this area, the destinations would likely remain the same.
But if you ask them, it's to keep through traffic out of the city and on the straighter, better-maintained road with less interchanges = less confusion and less turbulence. Nothing to do with tolls, of course not, no sirree Bob.

froggie

Just so happens that both arguments work for the same road...

Buummu

Or westbound on I-90 coming up on Exit B1:

I imagine nothing will change in the setup unless New York decides to do a mileage-based exit renumbering and can get both the Thruway and DOT to cooperate on consistent mileposts and exits numbers for I-87 and I-90.

A really really long ramp. I guess it works like some of you said... to avoid the city, this works. i did not know that every freeway does not have to be designed as a interstate. That works.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.