News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on January 02, 2014, 11:50:23 AM
Unsigned Exit 6A was indeed one toll booth of the Exit 6 plaza.  You had to use Cedar Lane, which has a pig tail turn over the former Penn Line Railroad which I never understood its purpose.  It was obviously designed by NJTA because the bridge over the tracks is a NJT design with those rounded pier caps underneath and green painted girders along with the typical NJT railing on top the concrete parapets.

Anyway, it was signed as US 130 Florence, but not TO US 130 either, even though you had a long drive through city streets before reaching the intrastate US highway and vise versa.  NJ at least thought of the right thing at the time than that stupid Delaware Valley Interchange set up where you grab a ticket and then pay just a few feet later and pay through the nose as the PTC charges you for the bridge use in addition to the small use of Turnpike ground pavement.
I dialed Historic Aerials back into the 50s, and found something interesting: no Florence ramp at all. The reason for the "pigtail" bridge is obvious - Cedar has to go up over the railroad, which puts it at the same elevation as the Pike, but then it has to get back down to ground level, so it goes under the Pike. (If it kept going over, it would be a lot more expensive and use a lot more land.) The pigtail is an elegant solution to the problem, considering the light volume on Cedar.
The ramp went in sometime around 1965 or so, based on aerials (1963 shows a little bit of clearing).

NE2

QuoteThe Lincoln Tunnel Interchange complex, completed Feb. 25, 1964, handles traffic to and from the Lincoln Tunnel. Interchange 6A at Florence was opened Sept. 6, 1964 as a direct access to the toll plaza at interchange 6 on the Pa. Extension. A new Interchange 8A, designated Jamesburg-Cranbury, was opened on Feb. 14, 1966.
http://books.google.com/books?id=-NhKAAAAMAAJ&q=%22Interchange+6A%22
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

I had a map once that was Rand McNally.  It showed a table list of all interchanges at the time and it skipped Exit 8A, but did not for Exit 6A.  That means I was looking at a map printed within the short time that was in between both exits opening.

I had always assumed that Exit 6A was always there.  Exit 8A, obviously, I knew of that one hence the A suffix and of course the map.  What is interesting is from Hightstown to New Brunswick was the longest gap between exits on the original turnpike at about 15 miles.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Glancing down from 295 yesterday, it looked like there was about a 2' wide stretch of stone in the middle of the connector median, which I know wasn't there just a few weeks ago.  Not a clue what may become of that, if anything other than stone in the middle of the median!

hbelkins

Base for a cable barrier, perhaps?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

NJ doesn't use cable barrier as a general rule. The turnpike definitely wouldn't use it.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2014, 04:04:36 PM
NJ doesn't use cable barrier as a general rule. The turnpike definitely wouldn't use it.
NJ 24 has a base of stone on which was placed a new steel guiderail, so that's your likely answer.

akotchi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2014, 08:21:02 AM
Glancing down from 295 yesterday, it looked like there was about a 2' wide stretch of stone in the middle of the connector median, which I know wasn't there just a few weeks ago.  Not a clue what may become of that, if anything other than stone in the middle of the median!
If it is where I think it is, it could be for guide rail protection for a new overhead sign structure.  The new sign structures on the extension have not been constructed yet.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jeffandnicole

It was along the entire median from what can be seen from 295, not in one spot. They have started building those new sign structures - one can be seen just before the older retro structure.

EricJV95

For those that have a problem with the N.J. Turnpike, Just follow directions and LISTEN. They are widening the turnpike between EXITS 6 and 8A to extend the outer lanes for the trucks and buses. That's why the speed is reduced in the construction zones to 55. The exits are easy to read (for those that CAN read). Once the widening is finished this year. The speed will go back up to 65. BUT, If some state lawmakers in New Jersey get the green light, The turnpike could go up to 70. That's a BIG if. I would recommend 70 between EXITS 1 and 9. And 65 from EXITS 10 to 14. And 60 from EXITS 15E & 15W to Ridgefield Park. And 55 from I-80 merge to Fort Lee near the George Washington Bridge. That's what I would recommend. As for the Newark Airport-Holland Tunnel (I-78 Turnpike Extension); That should remain at 50 until construction is done. Maybe (JUST MAYBE), It may go up to 55. Now, What's the problem with the Service Area just North past EXIT 11? Is the NORTHBOUND Service Area going to get back to NORMAL??

jeffandnicole

Quote from: EricJV95 on January 05, 2014, 10:50:48 PM
For those that have a problem with the N.J. Turnpike, Just follow directions and LISTEN. They are widening the turnpike between EXITS 6 and 8A to extend the outer lanes for the trucks and buses. That's why the speed is reduced in the construction zones to 55.

News to me.

Steve D

Quote from: EricJV95 on January 05, 2014, 10:50:48 PM
For those that have a problem with the N.J. Turnpike, Just follow directions and LISTEN. They are widening the turnpike between EXITS 6 and 8A to extend the outer lanes for the trucks and buses. That's why the speed is reduced in the construction zones to 55. The exits are easy to read (for those that CAN read). Once the widening is finished this year. The speed will go back up to 65. BUT, If some state lawmakers in New Jersey get the green light, The turnpike could go up to 70. That's a BIG if. I would recommend 70 between EXITS 1 and 9. And 65 from EXITS 10 to 14. And 60 from EXITS 15E & 15W to Ridgefield Park. And 55 from I-80 merge to Fort Lee near the George Washington Bridge. That's what I would recommend. As for the Newark Airport-Holland Tunnel (I-78 Turnpike Extension); That should remain at 50 until construction is done. Maybe (JUST MAYBE), It may go up to 55. Now, What's the problem with the Service Area just North past EXIT 11? Is the NORTHBOUND Service Area going to get back to NORMAL??

I'm so glad we finally have someone with expertise on the NJ Turnpike.

SignBridge

That service area in the Woodbridge vicinity was closed last time I passed there at the end of October 2013. I assume for renovations. I hope that's the case anyway, cause I use it on a lot of trips.

Steve D

Quote from: SignBridge on January 06, 2014, 09:38:21 PM
That service area in the Woodbridge vicinity was closed last time I passed there at the end of October 2013. I assume for renovations. I hope that's the case anyway, cause I use it on a lot of trips.

It's closed because of damage from Superstorm Sandy.  It will soon be demolished and completely re-built at a higher elevation.  The project will take two years.

SignBridge

T-w-o  y-e-a-r-s?????!!!!!!!! Give me a break!!!!! But, thanks for the info anyway. I'll have to reprogram myself to stop at the next one further south on the way back to Long Island. Or see if the diner is still open at Richmond and Forest Avenues a short distance off the Staten Island Expwy.

lepidopteran

Quote from: Steve D on January 07, 2014, 08:46:12 AM
(The Grover Cleveland Service Area)
It's closed because of damage from Superstorm Sandy.  It will soon be demolished and completely re-built at a higher elevation.  The project will take two years.

Note how close the plaza is to the Kill Van Kull river.  So putting it on higher ground seems in order.

Steve D

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 08, 2014, 12:25:56 AM
Quote from: Steve D on January 07, 2014, 08:46:12 AM
(The Grover Cleveland Service Area)

Note how close the plaza is to the Kill Van Kull river.  So putting it on higher ground seems in order.

It will be interesting to see the plans, as the NJTP is currently evaluating a complete modernization of all the areas to maximize revenue based on pressure from the state government.  The plazas themselves are very old, many are the originals from the 1950s with makeovers in the 1980s and/or 1990s.    I read that one legislator called them an "eyesore" which may be true as they do look old and dirty for the most part.  Maryland is currently replacing the Chesapeake and Maryland House rest areas on I-95 with a complete demolish and re-build approach so it will be interesting to see if the Grover Cleveland area is part of a new design by NJTP too.

dgolub

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 08, 2014, 12:25:56 AM

I believe that the Kill Van Kull is a strait, not a river, since I'm pretty sure that it doesn't flow.

jeffandnicole

Here's a news story regarding the plaza's rebuild:  http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/12/nj_turnpike_rest_area_closed_since_sandy_to_be_demolished_and_rebuilt.html

2 years is a long time.  Having that that, it's not like this was a planned construction project, where a lot of the planning has already taken place (which takes several years itself normally).  Someone doesn't dream up of a building and 3 hours later it's designed.  It will take time to design the building.  The current building will have to be demolished.  And then construct the new building.  Oh, don't forget the permits and such, as well as fighting with the insurance companies. 

It would be nice to see a building built with modern conveniences...like a ton of outlets for recharging electronics!

NJRoadfan

Somehow the Thomas Edison service plaza across the highway escaped flooding despite being along the same body of water. NJ in general could use some new service plazas or rest areas. Why the heck is it so hard to build a welcome center? The one on the Turnpike is southbound only and in the middle of the state!

EricJV95

So that means NORTHBOUND on the N.J. Turnpike after the Joyce Kilmer Service Area; The NEXT service area would be at the NORTH END of the MAINLINE at the Vince Lombardi Service Area!!! OUCH!!

EricJV95

Does anybody have pics of the NEW EXIT 8 on the N.J. Turnpike along with new signage ?

bzakharin

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 08, 2014, 03:42:04 PM
Why the heck is it so hard to build a welcome center? The one on the Turnpike is southbound only and in the middle of the state!
There are plenty of unofficial ones at Carney's Point (also the site of some of the cheapest gas in the state) where the Turnpike begins/ends near the Delaware Memorial Bridge. For the north, I think Vince Lombardi is enough of a welcome center, though it's not officially called that either.

mtantillo

They just rebuilt all the plazas in the 1990s and 2000s. Surely they were built to last more than 20 years...

SignBridge

Reading the news story in jeffandnicole's above link, it seems that the northbound service area was flooded by a sudden surge from previously unnoticed Woodbridge Creek, not the Kill Van Kull which appears on a map to be about 3/4 of a mile east of the Turnpike. According to the story, the surge came so suddenly that people had to be rescued from car roofs in the parking lot.

What's also surprising in the article is the NJTA says this is the 2nd least used service area, second only to the Alexander Hamilton S.A. southbound in Secaucus. I've been stopping there at Grover Cleveland S.A. for 30 years on most trips home from Penna. and Virginia.

Friggin' Hurricane Sandy caused so much havoc as none before in the NYC metroplex. I hope we never see another one like it in my lifetime!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.