North Houston Highway Improvement Project (project resumed March 2023)

Started by MaxConcrete, April 22, 2015, 09:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

UPDATE: the City of Houston has blocked demolition by withholding needed permits
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-to-delay-demolition-of-apartments-near-17258539.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HC_AfternoonReport&utm_term=news&utm_content=headlines&sid=5b02328c2ddf9c12eaed3685

More trouble....

The demolition contractor is about to begin demolition of the 375-unit Lofts at the Ballpark, which is not public housing. The demolition contractor has secured the site and moved equipment into position. Now Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee is trying to stop the demolition. She's trying to get FHWA to stop it, but if that doesn't work I expect the opposition to seek a court order.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Plan-to-demolish-apartments-near-Minute-Maid-Park-17255957.php

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2022/06/21/sheila-jackson-lee-lofts-at-the-ballpark-txdot-i45.html

QuoteU.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee is questioning the legality of an effort by the Texas Department of Transportation to demolish a three-building apartment complex near Minute Maid Park to make way for the planned expansion of Interstate 45, adding weight to a protest effort led by community activists.

During a June 21 press conference, Lee said the demolition of the 375-unit Lofts at the Ballpark complex at 601 St. Emanuel St. would disproportionately affect minority communities while the I-45 expansion project is currently on pause. Last year, the Federal Highway Administration ordered the I-45 expansion project, dubbed the North Houston Highway Improvement Project, to hold off on construction while the federal agency investigates whether Black and Hispanic communities will be disproportionately affected by the construction.

TxDOT acquired the Lofts at the Ballpark complex in June 2021 and quickly began working to relocate the residents living there. TxDOT said all of the residents had been moved out of the complex as of May 2022. Those who were forced to move received relocation assistance.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

armadillo speedbump

So no one lives there, they've all been relocated since TXDOT bought the building, yet SJL is claiming tearing down an empty building that no longer can be rented out will somehow disproportionally affect the minority community.

Par for her extremely corrupt course.

kernals12

FHWA has already allowed ROW clearance for that part of the project. This is pure grandstanding.

bwana39

Quote from: kernals12 on June 22, 2022, 08:18:34 AM
FHWA has already allowed ROW clearance for that part of the project. This is pure grandstanding.

Yeah BUT.... The place we are in right now begs the question of the construction EVER being done.  I think she is off base, but using it as low-income housing until there is actually a FIRM decision of whether the modified freeway is ever going to be built or how is not necessarily a wrong way to think.

The ROW for FM2348 in near Mount Pleasant (north of the UPRR) was purchased (some through imminent  domain) and cleared based on the portion of road north of US-67 being aligned to fit the FM 1001 /I-30 overpass. Instead the intersection wound up being routed to meet the existing FM1001 / US-67 intersection. And the existing portion of FM1001 between US-67 and I-30 remaining unchanged.

The Convenience store immediately south of the I-30 intersection was bought and torn down. Since the reroute failed to materialize, the ROW south of US-67 has been sold and a business has built a building on part of it.  A new truck stop / convenience store is now sitting on the same location as previously. The government (it this case Titus County) bought the properties and went to the expense of demolition and clearing then sold them to others for a significant loss, not counting the demolition expenses.

This is not as clear cut as we would seem to suggest. We may, indeed, be getting the cart before the horse.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Henry

I think Houston is making a big mistake with its threat to cancel the I-45 project. All the buildings either have been or will be torn down, so this is going to be a waste of money if the construction doesn't proceed. Also, why reroute it around the east side of downtown when the elevated section could've been rebuilt for much less?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Henry on June 22, 2022, 01:21:29 PM
I think Houston is making a big mistake with its threat to cancel the I-45 project. All the buildings either have been or will be torn down, so this is going to be a waste of money if the construction doesn't proceed. Also, why reroute it around the east side of downtown when the elevated section could've been rebuilt for much less?

My interpretation of TxDOT's proceeding with the demolition is that the downtown part of NHHIP is expected to proceed. Of course, TxDOT is privy to the state of negotiations with FHWA.

Sure, it would have been far less expensive to leave the downtown freeways as-is and just do maintenance for many decades into the future. But NHHIP is a grand compromise plan. Downtown interests wanted the I-69 elevated structures removed (i.e. sunk below ground), and the Pierce Elevated removed entirely. TxDOT wanted to relieve bottlenecks, and rebuild I-45 north of downtown as part  of the plan. So the NHHIP plan gives downtown interests what they want, and TxDOT gets what it wants. The plan is very expensive and that's the downside for TxDOT. The plan requires right-of-way clearance, but now the interests which stand to receive benefits don't want to incur any of the negatives.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

bwana39

A vocal minority (not necessarily members of minority groups) got the ears of Secretary Buttigieg and President Biden and had the project re-examined. I really am not sure what the governmental and neo-governmental planning agencies think. The bottom line is TxDOT is proceeding as if section 3 is going to be built as planned.

QuoteAlso, why reroute it around the east side of downtown when the elevated section could've been rebuilt for much less?
It is specifically what the vocal downtown interests wanted. TxDOT said in not exactly a private manner when new problems started cropping up after the plan seemed to be firmly in place that TxDOT gave them what they wanted (rerouting around the Pierce Elevated) and still it was not enough. TxDOT wanted to just rebuild the freeway in the same place. It was the locals (the same ilk as those wanting rid of the previously invisible I-345 in Dallas ) who just short of demanded it.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: MaxConcrete on June 22, 2022, 01:33:52 PM

My interpretation of TxDOT's proceeding with the demolition is that the downtown part of NHHIP is expected to proceed. Of course, TxDOT is privy to the state of negotiations with FHWA.

Sure, it would have been far less expensive to leave the downtown freeways as-is and just do maintenance for many decades into the future. But NHHIP is a grand compromise plan. Downtown interests wanted the I-69 elevated structures removed (i.e. sunk below ground), and the Pierce Elevated removed entirely. TxDOT wanted to relieve bottlenecks, and rebuild I-45 north of downtown as part  of the plan. So the NHHIP plan gives downtown interests what they want, and TxDOT gets what it wants. The plan is very expensive and that's the downside for TxDOT. The plan requires right-of-way clearance, but now the interests which stand to receive benefits don't want to incur any of the negatives.
Are there any renderings of the new plan or is it the same as the old renderings?

kernals12

Quote from: MaxConcrete on June 22, 2022, 01:33:52 PM

Sounds a lot like Boston's Big Dig

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 22, 2022, 02:31:50 PM
Are there any renderings of the new plan or is it the same as the old renderings?
As far as publicly available information, nothing has changed. The most recent schematics are still the official plan.
https://www.txdot.gov/nhhip/updates.html
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

TXtoNJ

Quote from: bwana39 on June 22, 2022, 01:35:53 PM

A vocal minority (not necessarily members of minority groups) got the ears of Secretary Buttigieg and President Biden and had the project re-examined. I really am not sure what the governmental and neo-governmental planning agencies think. The bottom line is TxDOT is proceeding as if section 3 is going to be built as planned.

QuoteAlso, why reroute it around the east side of downtown when the elevated section could've been rebuilt for much less?
It is specifically what the vocal downtown interests wanted. TxDOT said in not exactly a private manner when new problems started cropping up after the plan seemed to be firmly in place that TxDOT gave them what they wanted (rerouting around the Pierce Elevated) and still it was not enough. TxDOT wanted to just rebuild the freeway in the same place. It was the locals (the same ilk as those wanting rid of the previously invisible I-345 in Dallas ) who just short of demanded it.

I think you're conflating a lot of disparate interests. For example, downtown land developers are not opposed to any part of this - they got what they wanted. It's the local activist/NGO class that have been agitating the most against this, along with local politicians who have larger ambitions. This is mostly about building clout for them.

Just wait for the midterms.

bwana39

Quote from: TXtoNJ on June 24, 2022, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on June 22, 2022, 01:35:53 PM

I think you're conflating a lot of disparate interests. For example, downtown land developers are not opposed to any part of this - they got what they wanted. It's the local activist/NGO class that have been agitating the most against this, along with local politicians who have larger ambitions. This is mostly about building clout for them.

Just wait for the midterms.

The problem for TxDOT is the fact the city and county agreed then the (seeming) support from either or both waned.  As you said wait until the mid-terms. The problem is local elections will locally make a new and yet to be ascertained set of realities and agendas in Houston and Harris county. Perhaps more so than the new congressional balance.

I simplified the concept to TxDOT versus the agenda of the city and county.

Yes, to some extent, it is co-mingling of constituencies. The land developers wanted rid of the Pierce Elevated to be able to more seamlessly expand downtown into mid-town. They indeed have everything THEY want. The developers and the hardcore urbanists worked as  a coalition to get rid of the Pierce Elevated. The developers got what they wanted. The urbanists clearly want(ed) more.

It is possible Rep Jackson-Lee MAY be grandstanding to work some sort of trade with the Segment 1 issues. There are still seriously unresolved issues north of I-610.

The reality is it is impossible for TxDOT to have a plan when they cannot figure out the demands and intentions of major stakeholders. We don't know a lot of what is happening behind the scenes, but in reality, what we are seeing is of greater consequence than it should be.  The real issue , just like in a romantic relationship is how to interpret the consent. DONTSTOP might be Don't!.... STOP!!! or it could be Don't Stop. the same letters, but set in their own context opposite meanings. It all boils down to how it is punctuated.

TXtoNJ

SJL sees that this is driving attention and Inner Loop money from individual donors. Opportunist as ever.

When you say "county" what you mean is Lina - she's got bigger ambitions than county office, and this is a great vehicle for her to get national recognition beyond what she already has in the Democratic Party - especially since it bypasses the completely dysfunctional state party.

Buttigieg is also running with this because he wants to be President, and he couldn't do so last time because black voters don't know who the hell he is. So slowing this down helps him both with social justice and black voters, by his estimation.

I don't think the TxDOT plans have significantly changed. Costs would have exploded even if construction started in 2021.

The midterms are important, because in the case of a likely Democratic collapse, Pete's going to challenge Biden in the primary again as the woke candidate, and it's very possible Hidalgo gets appointed to some junior Cabinet position as a rising star in the party. As soon as the DoT hold releases, plans can go forth as already laid down - just more expensive.

MaxConcrete

TxDOT has posted the video for the proposed modifications to Interstate 10 just west of NHHIP. The meeting is next week so the schematics are not online yet. Looking at the cross section, it appears it will be a long high-level elevated structure, about the level of the existing HOV lanes. The new HOV structure appears to be wide enough to be restriped to 2x2.

This project appears to be entirely separate from NHHIP in terms of the EIS. It is surely much easier administratively to move this project forward, since there are no displacements, no capacity expansion and this takes the freeway out of the flood zone. The video says they want to start work in summer 2024, which (if it actually happens) will probably be before any construction starts on NHHIP, if construction on NHHIP can proceed at all.

http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/ih-10-heights-cross-section.png

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

kernals12

Quote from: MaxConcrete on July 21, 2022, 09:47:58 AM
TxDOT has posted the video for the proposed modifications to Interstate 10 just west of NHHIP. The meeting is next week so the schematics are not online yet. Looking at the cross section, it appears it will be a long high-level elevated structure, about the level of the existing HOV lanes. The new HOV structure appears to be wide enough to be restriped to 2x2.

This project appears to be entirely separate from NHHIP in terms of the EIS. It is surely much easier administratively to move this project forward, since there are no displacements, no capacity expansion and this takes the freeway out of the flood zone. The video says they want to start work in summer 2024, which (if it actually happens) will probably be before any construction starts on NHHIP, if construction on NHHIP can proceed at all.

http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/ih-10-heights-cross-section.png

isn't TxDOT planning to add 4 managed lanes on that section of the Katy Freeway?

Plutonic Panda

Is that different from the project to extend the managed lanes to I-45 from the existing section or did they scrap they? I also read there will be a small amount of ROW expansion.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 30, 2022, 02:27:38 PM
Is that different from the project to extend the managed lanes to I-45 from the existing section or did they scrap they? I also read there will be a small amount of ROW expansion.
Yes this is separate from the proposed main project to add 2x2 managed lanes between I-45 and I-610 (West Loop), which is called the Inner Katy corridor.
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/houston/022521.html

The most recent public meeting was in February 2021. I have not heard of any TxDOT developments since that meeting, but Houston Metro recently announced its selected option which is a standalone elevated structure. This appears to eliminate concept B from further consideration.

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/hou/i-10-inner-katy-corridor/022521-ml-concept-b.pdf
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: MaxConcrete on July 30, 2022, 04:48:19 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 30, 2022, 02:27:38 PM
Yes this is separate from the proposed main project to add 2x2 managed lanes between I-45 and I-610 (West Loop), which is called the Inner Katy corridor.
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/houston/022521.html

The most recent public meeting was in February 2021. I have not heard of any TxDOT developments since that meeting, but Houston Metro recently announced its selected option which is a standalone elevated structure. This appears to eliminate concept B from further consideration.

https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/hou/i-10-inner-katy-corridor/022521-ml-concept-b.pdf
It looks to me like none of the proposed alternatives would work with elevated GP lanes so they'd have to come up with a new alternative.

Duke87

Quote from: bwana39 on June 24, 2022, 03:51:54 PM
The problem for TxDOT is the fact the city and county agreed then the (seeming) support from either or both waned.

I think a lot of it comes down to that the city and county agreed to the concept of rerouting I-45 along the Eastex Corridor and removing Pierce under the assumption that this would reduce the overall footprint of downtown freeways. Then they saw the renderings.

Suddenly, realization in hand that the project will actually take more land than it will free up, people don't like it so much anymore.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Duke87 on August 04, 2022, 01:00:53 PM
The problem for TxDOT is the fact the city and county agreed then the (seeming) support from either or both waned.

I think a lot of it comes down to that the city and county agreed to the concept of rerouting I-45 along the Eastex Corridor and removing Pierce under the assumption that this would reduce the overall footprint of downtown freeways. Then they saw the renderings.

Suddenly, realization in hand that the project will actually take more land than it will free up, people don't like it so much anymore.

It's more that everything was fine while it remained inside baseball. Then it became a vehicle for larger political ambitions.

jadebenn

Quote from: TXtoNJ on August 05, 2022, 10:42:09 AM

It's more that everything was fine while it remained inside baseball. Then it became a vehicle for larger political ambitions.
No, I think Duke87 had it right the first time. It's getting harder and harder to get political buy-in from cities for freeway expansions at all, and it's getting worse every year. A not-quite removal of the Pierce Elevated doesn't seem as attractive of a trade-off as it used to be.

To be fair, I'd say the Houston political class in general is still okay with the project, but it's hard to deny enthusiasm has cooled. This would've been a slam-dunk not that many years ago.

kernals12

Quote from: jadebenn on August 09, 2022, 10:55:00 PM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on August 05, 2022, 10:42:09 AM

No, I think Duke87 had it right the first time. It's getting harder and harder to get political buy-in from cities for freeway expansions at all, and it's getting worse every year. A not-quite removal of the Pierce Elevated doesn't seem as attractive of a trade-off as it used to be.

To be fair, I'd say the Houston political class in general is still okay with the project, but it's hard to deny enthusiasm has cooled. This would've been a slam-dunk not that many years ago.
Even Portland is widening highways now. Highway expansions have always been controversial and usually they get canceled not due to public opposition but for lack of funds.

Thegeet

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Thegeet on August 30, 2022, 01:14:54 AM
Record of decision: Aug. 2, 2022.
https://www.txdot.gov/about/newsroom/local/houston/txdot-announces-nhhip-record-of-decision.html

The ROD was issued in February 2021, just prior to the FHWA project suspension and the Harris County lawsuit.
https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/hou/news/record-of-decision.pdf

So it's old news. I don't know why that press release is dated Aug. 4, 2022. It must be a mistake, or some kind of malfunction related to the new web site design.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

rte66man

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/transportation/2022/08/31/432075/txdot-keeps-controversial-i-45-expansion-on-long-term-slate-of-projects/

TxDOT keeps controversial I-45 expansion on long-term slate of projects

ADAM ZUVANICH | POSTED ONAUGUST 31, 2022, 4:30 PM (LAST UPDATED: AUGUST 31, 2022, 5:15 PM)

A busload of Houston residents traveled Tuesday to Austin, where they demonstrated outside of Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) headquarters and spoke out against its Interstate 45 expansion project, asking to have more of a say in its design and execution and in some cases asking for it to be removed from the state agency's long-term transportation plan.

About 60 members of STOP TxDOT I-45, a local grassroots organization that opposes the multi-billion-dollar freeway expansion, commented on the project and its potential impacts during a meeting of the Texas Transportation Commission, which oversees TxDOT. The five-member commission, without discussing the plan for I-45 or responding to the feedback from members of the public, still voted to keep the controversial project and its funding on TxDOT's slate of transportation work over the next 10 years.

It was the latest development in a drawn-out battle between TxDOT and Houston-area stakeholders who oppose the plan for the North Houston Highway Improvement Project (NHHIP), which calls for widening and rerouting I-45 between downtown and Beltway 8 and displacing more than 1,000 homes and businesses in low-income communities of color. Work on the project is largely on hold, per a request by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), while it investigates complaints made under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and audits TxDOT's implementation of federal environmental review requirements.

"We weren't discouraged," said Ally Smither, an organizer for STOP TxDOT I-45 who traveled to Austin and spoke before the commission. "We've come to expect TxDOT to treat us like this. We will keep showing up and keep waiting for the FHWA verdict."

TxDOT, through its media relations office, did not comment on the feedback it received from impacted residents and how that might have affected the decision by the transportation commission.

The Greater Houston Partnership, an economic development organization that represents about 950 businesses in the region, released a statement from president and CEO Bob Harvey saying it supports the transportation commission's decision to keep the I-45 project on TxDOT's Unified Transportation Program, which is the 10-year plan. TxDOT has said the goal of the project is to improve traffic flow, hurricane evacuation routes and stormwater drainage while accommodating high-occupancy, electric and self-driving vehicles.

"This project will improve mobility, address flooding issues and enhance Houston's overall quality of life," Harvey said. "The partnership advocates using the (NHHIP) to realize long-sought opportunities to reconnect communities with new pedestrian and cycling pathways while providing the prospects for new parks and greenspaces."

Impacted residents, groups like STOP TxDOT I-45 and Houston-area elected officials at the municipal, county, state and federal levels have expressed concerns about the project because of how many it will displace and also because of its potential to increase flooding risks as well as noise and air pollution. Harris County sued TxDOT over the project in March 2021, asking a federal judge to require TxDOT to give greater consideration to those concerns and work more closely with local stakeholders.

Molly Cook, another STOP TxDOT I-45 organizer who made the Tuesday trip to Austin, said she does not want the Houston region to lose out on the transportation funding that's been earmarked for the project, even though she opposes specifics of the plan. She does not want the project to displace any homes or businesses or expand the existing footprint of I-45, she said.

Houston City Council member Karla Cisneros, who represents residents who would be impacted by the I-45 project, expressed a similar sentiment in a letter submitted to the Texas Transportation Commission and shared with Houston Public Media. Cisneros urged TxDOT to work with local stakeholders "instead of fighting us," adding that highway reconstruction projects "need to solve serious existing problems, many of which were in fact created by construction of the highways in the first place."

According to Cook and Smither, residents from cities such as Austin, El Paso, Dallas, Fort Worth and San Antonio also attended Tuesday's meeting and expressed opposition to highway projects in their parts of the state.

"Our cities deserve better," Cisneros wrote in her letter. "On behalf of Houston and other urban residents of Texas, we insist that TxDOT partner with us. The state's aging highway infrastructure desperately needs attention, but it must be done responsibly and in collaboration with our cities. A project that goes away does not get us to where we want. Nor will a project that is just wrong get us to where we want. Let's work together."
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.