Regional Boards > Central States

Driving Forward OK

(1/53) > >>

Scott5114:
The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority has released plans for a $892 million turnpike package called Driving Forward OK. The turnpikes will be funded by OTA revenue bonds and will not require any expenditures from the state budget.

Included in the package are:

* A new north-south toll road in eastern Oklahoma County, connecting the Turner Turnpike (I-44) with I-40 between Midwest City and Shawnee.
* An extension of the Kilpatrick Turnpike to SH-152 between Mustang and Will Rogers Airport.
* Construction of SH-12, completing the Gilcrease loop around west Tulsa.
* Reconstruction of 9 miles of the Muskogee Turnpike (SH-351) between the Creek Turnpike (SH-364) and SH-51 near Coweta.
* Reconstruction of 22 miles of I-44 between SH-48 near Bristow and SH-364 in Sapulpa.
* Reconstruction of 7 miles of the H.E. Bailey Turnpike between Bridge Creek and Newcastle.
Construction is expected to begin third quarter of 2016, which seems frankly insane, especially since no ROW has been acquired nor EISes filed, but I guess they mean that that's when they can start the reconstruction projects. I have doubts that they can have work starting on the new-terrain stuff by this time next year...

http://www.drivingforwardok.com/

Ned Weasel:
Have any alignments been selected for the new stretches of roadway?  It will be extremely difficult to squeeze in a Kilpatrick Turnpike extension, and even the I-44-to-I-40 turnpike on the east side of OKC looks like a tough problem unless it's pushed pretty far to the east.

Scott5114:
Not as far as I know. The Oklahoma County control section map book has showed a Projected & Surveyed control section for the Kilpatrick extension for a few years, but the I-44-to-I-40 turnpike is an idea that I've never heard of until today. Fortunately, the eastern part of Oklahoma County has a fairly low population density, so it shouldn't be terribly hard to come up with an alignment. Tooling around on Google Maps, looks like the Peebly Road corridor might make a decent option.

These two projects make it look like OTA really wants to make an Oklahoma City beltway happen eventually.

Pete from Boston:
I was expecting this thread title to refer to an inexplicable sign legend.   

TXtoNJ:
I wonder if they're going to arrange the new 40 to 44 turnpike as an extension of 240, as, along with the Kilpatrick extension, this would complete the beltway around OKC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version