Saturday October 27, 2018: Eastern Catskill Mountains Road Meet

Started by cl94, March 23, 2018, 11:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which dates work for the meet?

October 27 (Saturday)
6 (75%)
October 28 (Sunday)
4 (50%)
November 3 (Saturday, last day of Daylight Savings Time)
6 (75%)
November 4 (Sunday, first day after DST ends)
2 (25%)
November 10 (Saturday)
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

74/171FAN

Quote from: cl94 on October 22, 2018, 02:57:12 PM
Yeah... I mean, we've had snow meets in the past. Delaware 2017 was the most recent one and I got to experience PennDOT's miserable salting/plowing when driving down. Unsurprisingly, roads were clear as soon as I hit the DE line.

Unless there's a decent amount of accumulation forecast (unlikely given temps), it's still on. They're currently saying it'll change to rain mid-morning and stay rain through the evening. The most likely change is a reroute near the end to avoid the worst parts of 28A, but unless temps fall another 5-10 degrees, that won't be necessary.

Should we really call Delaware a snow meet because it was not actually snowing during the meet?

Anyway I may back out if it is going to be rainy all day, but I obviously won't decide on that until later in the week.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Same. The two parts that would be cut are the two I most want to see.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on October 22, 2018, 06:58:26 PM
Same. The two parts that would be cut are the two I most want to see.

Hey, if people don't mind getting a little dirty, I have no issue playing with mud. It's more of that there's always a contingent that will complain about mud. The dam stop will probably happen regardless, unless they're forecasting significant snowfall. That's not the part of 28A that has issues (mainly because 213-reservoir bridge is the one portion that isn't original).

If the current forecast (or something close to it) holds, I'm not cutting anything. "Occasional rain showers" won't make getting to the tunnel dangerous. Torrential rain or heavy snow might and, in the latter case, I only have one pair each of crampons and snowshoes (mine).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

Given Nor'easter forecasting tendencies, you should wait until at least Thursday morning before you make a call about that...

baugh17

I had to deal with driving through some decent snows and snow covered roads getting to the Scranton ('15) and York ('16) meets.  And the State College meet back in '05 was a bit of a soaker.

Like Froggie suggested, I wouldn't jump the gun on this one just yet.

vdeane

Unfortunately, each time the forecast is revised, it manages to get worse.  Kingston is currently forecast for more than an inch of rain over the course of the day and it will be windy too.  High of 42.

Not sure if I want to stand out in windy rain where my umbrella probably won't be able to protect me, but on the other hand, the only way I'm realistically going to get laundry done while it's still dry here is to go to the meet and do it beforehand.

Why do weekend rain events always come on Saturday?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: baugh17 on October 24, 2018, 06:46:47 AM
I had to deal with driving through some decent snows and snow covered roads getting to the Scranton ('15) and York ('16) meets.  And the State College meet back in '05 was a bit of a soaker.

Like Froggie suggested, I wouldn't jump the gun on this one just yet.

This is one of those times that I am glad that I usually do not reserve hotels for these.  I really do not have to decide until overnight Friday.

Quote from: vdeane on October 24, 2018, 01:11:14 PM
Unfortunately, each time the forecast is revised, it manages to get worse.  Kingston is currently forecast for more than an inch of rain over the course of the day and it will be windy too.  High of 42.

Not sure if I want to stand out in windy rain where my umbrella probably won't be able to protect me, but on the other hand, the only way I'm realistically going to get laundry done while it's still dry here is to go to the meet and do it beforehand.

Why do weekend rain events always come on Saturday?

My laundry plans are already going to be abnormal due to having a church event Friday night.  If this was light rain or snow (see the York 2016 meet), I would be fine, but I do not feel like it is worth driving 8-10 hours to/from in heavy rain.  The drive to/from is just as important as the meet itself to me.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

Right now we're looking at 1.04 inches in a 12-18 hour period, so the total comes more from duration than intensity.  The wind is more concerning... we're looking at 13-14 mph winds throughout the meet right now.  I don't think an umbrella is going to be very effective in that.

I don't mind driving in rain, it's getting out of/to/from the car in rain I don't like.  Now, I did spend a while walking around looking at the ducks when it rained throughout NYSDOT's summer picnic... but there wasn't much in the way of wind most of that day, so my umbrella was actually effective (my flats got pretty wet, but I'm not planning on wearing them to this meet regardless).

While I normally consider the drive to/from meets important, it isn't really for this meet for me by virtue of the fact that it's only an hour away and I've already clinched everything in the area.  Not to mention the return drive for daytrip meets is something I'm not likely to consider important in the future anyways... the risk of not having (much/any) daylight afterwards is just too great.  I ended up cutting most of my return clinches from Salamanca because the meet ran long, and I still have segments of road that I have only driven at night from prior meets before I started aiming to clinch everything during the day (I think the only roadmeet affiliated ones in the US are US 31 in Birmingham and US 2 west of Waterbury - MD 702 and I-20 east of Birmingham are gray areas that I'm trying to put out of my mind; still have a few large sections in Canada, though).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

^ I think you're reading way too much into things.  If it's raining and you don't like getting wet, then just skip the meet itself and go down and enjoy the post-meet dinner.

74/171FAN

I may end up going to Somerset County to see the new US 219 instead. 

https://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffices/district-9/pages/details.aspx?newsid=614

Regardless, I am going to wait until tomorrow before making a final decision.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 25, 2018, 05:08:22 PM

https://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffices/district-9/pages/details.aspx?newsid=614

How dare they horn in on the meet.
That said, with the weather...

vdeane

The forecast is certainly variable.  Wind speeds seem to have stabilized around 14-15 mph, however the total amount of rain and exact timeframes are a bit variable (the meet is consistently in the peak storm, though).  Probably going to have to make a final call after I see the weather on the local news tonight.

cl94

It's going to be a rain meet regardless. I'm NOT cutting any stops nor modifying the route, as it looks like it'll be above freezing all afternoon. One of the stops is (basically) covered and we'll have some shelter for two others. Two stops (as well as part of one) are fully exposed, but since there won't be lightning, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Dress accordingly. We'll have plenty of chances to stop at Stewart's and get warm drinks, plus there's warm food waiting for us at the diner/wherever we decide to eat.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on October 25, 2018, 11:57:51 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 25, 2018, 05:08:22 PM

How dare they horn in on the meet.
That said, with the weather...

At this point, I don't see myself doing either. It is best to consider me as truly out for the meet at this point.

Dougtone

The weather looks a little wet for hiking tomorrow, but will be great on Sunday for chasing waterfalls and not following the directives given by the musical group TLC. Therefore, I will attend the meet donning a rain poncho.

cl94

Quote from: Dougtone on October 26, 2018, 03:21:09 PM
The weather looks a little wet for hiking tomorrow, but will be great for chasing waterfalls and not following the directives given by the musical group TLC. Therefore, I will attend the meet donning a rain poncho.

Funny you mention chasing waterfalls, because there are a few along the meet route. I'd be open to an unplanned stop at High Falls, too, if people are up to that.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on October 26, 2018, 01:35:16 PM
It's going to be a rain meet regardless. I'm NOT cutting any stops nor modifying the route, as it looks like it'll be above freezing all afternoon. One of the stops is (basically) covered and we'll have some shelter for two others. Two stops (as well as part of one) are fully exposed, but since there won't be lightning, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Dress accordingly. We'll have plenty of chances to stop at Stewart's and get warm drinks, plus there's warm food waiting for us at the diner/wherever we decide to eat.
In that case, I shall attend. Let's see if I'm up for brekkie.

Dougtone

Quote from: cl94 on October 26, 2018, 01:35:16 PM

We could always spin the Wheel of Lunch.

02 Park Ave

A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for the eastern Catskills for 2:00 am to 11:00 am tomorrow.
C-o-H

cl94

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 26, 2018, 05:26:39 PM
A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for the eastern Catskills for 2:00 am to 11:00 am tomorrow.

Western Ulster and mostly high elevation at that. This does make me happy that I decided to emphasize Kingston's bridges instead of scenic roads through the Catskills, though.

froggie

^ Not just the higher elevations.  As far east as the Thruway could see something frozen in the morning, especially north of Kingston.

And while Val seems fixated on particular times and wind speeds, that's not very realistic.  As a general rule, expect moderate winds, and higher at higher elevations...in fact, the Berkshires and Taconics have a wind advisory, but I don't recall seeing anything on the itinerary east of the TSP.  Winds will probably be enough to knock a lot of that fall foliage off the trees.

vdeane

Well, timing and wind matter.  Does the worst hit at an exposed stop, during the drive, or at a sheltered stop?  And yeah, wind matters, beyond possibilities of leaves blowing off trees and such.  An umbrella that works great in heavy rain but no wind won't work at all in light rain but heavy wind.  As I mentioned on Facebook, I don't own a poncho.

Anyways, if it isn't too much worse than it is now in Albany, it should be fine.

froggie

I'm not saying that timing and wind don't matter.  But you're being way too fixated on it.  Nevermind that that type of forecasting at the level of detail you want is unreliable (especially from TV stations).

Might also be time to invest in something that works in the wind.

cl94

Thanks to everyone for coming out. It was a wet day and clouds blocked some of the views, but we were able to see just about everything. 8 people made it in total and, if I knew we'd be able to get through it so quickly, I would have added to the tour.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.