News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Jefferson Highway Designated in Oklahoma

Started by US71, May 04, 2021, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

edwaleni

Quote from: US71 on May 04, 2021, 09:26:14 PM
Oklahoma has just designated "Historic Jefferson Highway" in Oklahoma.

Looks like you have given @Route66Fan a new project to map out.

In_Correct

Oh. Great. Yet another name for The Unfinished Corridor.

The Governor's speech about Local Economies indicates that they are going to preserve the Speed Traps and not build any Bypasses.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Avalanchez71

edwaleni

Here is a modern tour guide to the JH in Oklahoma.

sparker

Just wonderful!  When they have the dedication, they should invite Grace, Jorma, Jack and any other surviving members of the Airplane (even David Freiberg) to the event.  Hell, just book Hot Tuna to play!  They'd probably love 'em in Muskogee! :cool:   

US71

Quote from: sparker on May 28, 2021, 06:55:41 PM
Just wonderful!  When they have the dedication, they should invite Grace, Jorma, Jack and any other surviving members of the Airplane (even David Freiberg) to the event.  Hell, just book Hot Tuna to play!  They'd probably love 'em in Muskogee! :cool:   

Consider yourself slapped. :pan:

sparker

Quote from: US71 on May 28, 2021, 09:28:19 PM

Couldn't resist the reference -- known most of those folks for years (used to get into political discussions/arguments with the late Paul Kantner on a pretty regular basis in the '80's!).  But Hot Tuna's more a blues band than hard/classic rock (even though Jorma just turned 80! -- but still plays and puts on guitar clinics), so it's not beyond the pale that they might show up at events for which their '60's selves wouldn't even be considered. 

Road Hog

Quote from: In_Correct on May 13, 2021, 07:46:28 PM

The Governor's speech about Local Economies indicates that they are going to preserve the Speed Traps and not build any Bypasses.

I doubt the designation will factor one way or another. After all, US 66 eventually was bypassed. Sightseers will be put off by the speed traps and truck traffic and the word will get out.

edwaleni

Quote from: sparker on May 29, 2021, 12:24:19 PM

Couldn't resist the reference -- known most of those folks for years (used to get into political discussions/arguments with the late Paul Kantner on a pretty regular basis in the '80's!).  But Hot Tuna's more a blues band than hard/classic rock (even though Jorma just turned 80! -- but still plays and puts on guitar clinics), so it's not beyond the pale that they might show up at events for which their '60's selves wouldn't even be considered.

Say hi to China for me.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on May 29, 2021, 11:20:30 PM

I doubt the designation will factor one way or another. After all, US 66 eventually was bypassed. Sightseers will be put off by the speed traps and truck traffic and the word will get out.

I beg to differ, but I'm not going to argue the point.

Scott5114

Sightseers? I don't think anybody is really planning to "have a good time on Route 69", no matter what the Legislature tries to do to promote this road. The problem is that unlike US-66, most of US-69's early-days roadside nostalgia bait (whatever it had) hasn't been preserved to the present day. No Blue Whales or Round Barns here, folks, just a four-lane highway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 01, 2021, 06:24:58 PM

Sightseers? I don't think anybody is really planning to "have a good time on Route 69", no matter what the Legislature tries to do to promote this road. The problem is that unlike US-66, most of US-69's early-days roadside nostalgia bait (whatever it had) hasn't been preserved to the present day. No Blue Whales or Round Barns here, folks, just a four-lane highway.

If no one is interested, why would the Jefferson Highway Association have pursued this designation?  The old JH is there...it's just buried like 66 is/was.

sparker

Quote from: edwaleni on June 01, 2021, 05:39:15 PM
Quote from: sparker on May 29, 2021, 12:24:19 PM

Say hi to China for me.

Last time I heard, she was a mom living in L.A. -- and she just turned 50!  Makes one feel really old (remember, dad Paul originally wanted to name her "god"; they thought better within a few months!). 

edwaleni

The naming of highways in the early 1900's was not just about economics, it was about getting where you need to go.

Today, with roads becoming more numbers and less a means, people are looking for new and interesting ways to see the country.

The historical significance *has* been lost on certain roads, but there is a new generation of telematics coming to cars that can provide an incredible level of historical information to the traveler.

You can plug into your navigation system that you want to drive US-66, the voice attendant will ask you if you want I-40, I-40 with latest US-66, or just a route that include historic routes that are still drivable.

Another thought is to tell your car system to point out historical points of interest along your journey, the screen will pop up a side bar with a ditty on the Matron Saint of the Highways, just off I-55 (US-66) in Illinois.

So if these highway associations, ie: Lincoln, Jefferson, Ocean to Ocean can get their routes recorded for nav purposes, old travel centers like Chillicothe, Missouri can return to their old ways of promoting their unique characters as it related to driving.

Not everyone is about the interstates for A to B when it comes to leisure. With traditional destinations like Yellowstone or Yosemite becoming almost impossible to see due to congestion, people are seeking alternatives.

Do I want to see some random run down garage in Fort Scott, Kansas? Probably not. But if something led me there to say this was the first Ford dealer in SE Kansas and made its name by providing services to 25 cars a day when the Jeff Highway came through with pictures to see in its heyday?

I would think that would be a cool option.

I recently asked a relative of mine to return east by driving the "Ocean to Ocean" route which is pretty much US-36. He loved it.

skluth

^^^^^^^^^
Ed makes a great point here that shouldn't be overlooked. We've all seen the impact of tourism on the long-decommissioned US 66. I can envision a future where groups put together travel packs around many of these roads that can be added as modules to Google Maps, Apple Maps, and other GPS-driven software. I'd even recommend a group putting a module together and giving it to Apple to incorporate into Apple Maps as many iPhone users (like me) only use G-Maps. It would definitely push Google to add such a feature.

edwaleni

Quote from: skluth on June 02, 2021, 01:47:22 PM
^^^^^^^^^
Ed makes a great point here that shouldn't be overlooked. We've all seen the impact of tourism on the long-decommissioned US 66. I can envision a future where groups put together travel packs around many of these roads that can be added as modules to Google Maps, Apple Maps, and other GPS-driven software. I'd even recommend a group putting a module together and giving it to Apple to incorporate into Apple Maps as many iPhone users (like me) only use G-Maps. It would definitely push Google to add such a feature.

The idea actually came to me when I was driving down I-55 south around Springfield, Illinois. Many of the bridges built over the railroads are still there, though the railroads are long gone.

As I drove over the bridge for the old B&O Beardstown Line, a thought came to me where a center or side LCD screen in the car would pop up a historical link to this B&O line, when it was built, show its route map, when it operated, and what it is today (a trail) and the significance of it.

Or a kid in the back seat who has a history interest would see the link and look it up. Then it becomes a traveling history lesson, not unlike the game of license plate or road sign alphabet we used to play as kids.

Promotes education and would work if it doesn't get taken over by pop up ads from a tourism bureau in capital letters "come here, stop here, eat here". That we can leave to the roadside billboard and optional to the driver.

Scott5114

You know, it wouldn't even be that hard to make something like that, since Wikipedia has an option to tag articles with latitude and longitude. You could have a tablet open to an app that uses the current GPS coordinates to search for nearby tagged articles. (Obviously, you would have to have a secondary database with some of the more obscure stuff in it to show the things that are too little-known for Wikipedia to have an article for them, but it's a good start.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sparker

Don't know if the enthusiasm generated around the history and environment of US 66 would be transferable to another route -- including US 69 (a number rife with alternate connotations).  "Get your kicks on Route 66" might be quasi-iconic, but something like "....it's so fine, Route 69" might elicit smirks.  Maybe something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6eYjus_Olc

Road Hog

Route 69. Nice.

Pay me your consulting fee now.

US71

Quote from: sparker on June 02, 2021, 03:21:18 PM
Don't know if the enthusiasm generated around the history and environment of US 66 would be transferable to another route -- including US 69 (a number rife with alternate connotations).  "Get your kicks on Route 66" might be quasi-iconic, but something like "....it's so fine, Route 69" might elicit smirks.  Maybe something like this:

Technically, it's NOT US 69, but the Jefferson Highway. I know of a couple dirt portions, but don't know if they are included.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.