News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why was AR 9 exempt from duplicate numbering?

Started by roadman65, November 23, 2021, 12:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Did not AR roads department didn't want a US 49 and I-49 in the same state due to duplication of numbers?  I seem to remember a user tell me why the delay on I-49 in the state a few years back. 

I find that odd, I must say as AR 9 has always been two different routes and close together as well.  So what's up with this?

If so I find it very hypocritical to say the least.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MikieTimT

Quote from: roadman65 on November 23, 2021, 12:33:13 PM
For years AR roads department didn't want a US 49 and I-49 in the same state due to duplication of numbers, yet AR 9 has always been two different routes and close together as well. 

That is very hypocritical to say the least.

Oh, Arkansas has lots of that sort of discrepancy throughout the state.  With the exception of AR-980, which is used for every state maintained small airport access road, nearly all of the other instances were from cases where the route was continuous at one time, but became disconnected as time progressed.  See AR-74, AR-60, AR-215, etc., etc.

bwana39

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 23, 2021, 12:53:35 PM
For years AR roads department didn't want a US 49 and I-49 in the same state due to duplication of numbers, yet AR 9 has always been two different routes and close together as well. 

Oh, Arkansas has lots of that sort of discrepancy throughout the state.  With the exception of AR-980, which is used for every state maintained small airport access road, nearly all of the other instances were from cases where the route was continuous at one time, but became disconnected as time progressed.  See AR-74, AR-60, AR-215, etc., etc.

OR IH-49....
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

NE2

For years AR roads department didn't want a US 49 and I-49 in the same state due to duplication of numbers,
[citation needed]
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Quote from: roadman65For years AR roads department didn't want a US 49 and I-49 in the same state due to duplication of numbers,

I agree with SPUI and would like to see a source for this.  I-49 has been in planning for well over 20 years and in my experience the state hasn't had a problem with having both I-49 and US 49.

SkyPesos

Quote from: MikieTimT on November 23, 2021, 12:53:35 PM

It sounds like they're taking a page from Indiana's book on how to treat state routes  :-D

abqtraveler

There's about a 20-mile gap between the two sections of AR-9, and from what I've read it looks like that gap represents an unbuilt section that would have gone through some rugged terrain between Malvern and Crows. Not the first time this has happened anywhere. Think: Highway 65 in California has two sections separated by about 200 miles that were envisioned to be part of a continuous freeway running up the east side of the Central Valley (not surprisingly to be called the Eastside Freeway).
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

bwana39

Quote from: froggie on November 24, 2021, 09:07:03 AM
Quote from: roadman65For years AR roads department didn’t want a US 49 and I-49 in the same state due to duplication of numbers,

I agree with SPUI and would like to see a source for this.  I-49 has been in planning for well over 20 years and in my experience the state hasn't had a problem with having both I-49 and US 49.

IH-49 and US-49 are on opposite sides of the state and both run predominately n-s. While AASHTO originally wanted the Interstate and the US highway with the same number to not be in the same state. There was at least this one exception made. Unless Texas makes some drastic changes, US-69 and IH-69 are not only going to be in the same state BUT will also intersect and probably have a short concurrency.  Texas has not suggested there is any change coming...

SkyPesos

Quote from: bwana39 on November 24, 2021, 10:10:45 PM
There was at least this one exception made. Unless Texas makes some drastic changes, US-69 and IH-69 are not only going to be in the same state BUT will also intersect and probably have a short concurrency.  Texas has not suggested there is any change coming...
I-41/US 41 and I-74/US 74 are in the same state and concurrent with each other at some point (or in I-41's case, its entire route).

roadman65

Quote from: roadman65For years AR roads department didn't want a US 49 and I-49 in the same state due to duplication of numbers,

Unfortunately the source was in common road talk off the forum. I was discussing with someone on this forum who has incredible knowledge of the situation why the process of getting the I-49 designation applied. I won't say more Froggie, but you've met the guy in person years ago.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

I've never heard that either.

jbnv

Arkansas apparently has a lot of hidden concurrences. Source: my experience in driving Arkansas 7 from Hot Springs to Louisiana.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

bwana39

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 24, 2021, 10:19:06 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on November 24, 2021, 10:10:45 PM
There was at least this one exception made. Unless Texas makes some drastic changes, US-69 and IH-69 are not only going to be in the same state BUT will also intersect and probably have a short concurrency.  Texas has not suggested there is any change coming...
I-41/US 41 and I-74/US 74 are in the same state and concurrent with each other at some point (or in I-41's case, its entire route).

Not saying it hasn't been done. The point is that this is the reason why there was not originally (and still isn't) an Interstate 50. The ORIGINAL plan was for there to be no duplications in the same state and certainly no intersections or concurrencies.

bugo

AR 9 is far, far from the only Arkansas state highway with more than one segment. There are probably as many if not more discontinuous state highways as there are continuous ones in Arkansas. There are gaps all over the state.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.