Regional Boards > Mid-South

Port to Plains Corridor (I-27 extension) officially signed into law!

<< < (3/31) > >>

Anthony_JK:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 16, 2022, 02:04:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Henry on March 16, 2022, 12:26:41 PM ---I knew this would happen! If anything, I-27 would stand a far better chance of being built south of Lubbock than it would north of Amarillo, and good luck trying to punch a freeway through the middle of the latter city, unless a Jersey City-type situation would arise, where it would connect two distinct freeway sections via surface streets. Good luck figuring that one out.

--- End quote ---
I know the inevitable comments to come to this but guess what Iíd propose?

--- End quote ---

More than likely, they would reroute I-27 around Amarillo through their loop.

roadman65:
The big question will it have a child loop at Big Springs, as itís proposed to go through both Midland and the aforementioned?

SkyPesos:
Nothing about taking over Future I-2 southeast to Brownsville or a northern extension to I-70 at Limon?

kphoger:
Man, I just can't wait for Limon to be the most useful control city.

Bobby5280:
It will be interesting to see what kind of funding the corridor will attract. It's a good bet parts of Future I-27 between Lubbock and Laredo could start getting built sometime soon, starting with US-87 improvements in or near towns along the route. North of Amarillo is more murky. I can imagine a short extension from Amarillo to Dumas happening within 10-20 years. That could be a relatively easy upgrade. It may be a long wait for segments farther North. Not unless the federal government gets fixated on road building again.

--- Quote from: abqtraveler ---I know that New Mexico will never come up with the money to upgrade US-64/87 to interstate standards, so from my perspective, the Ports to Plains Corridor in New Mexico is dead on arrival.
--- End quote ---

Aside from the NM state government's stance on things, there is no value in routing a northern extension of I-27 to Raton, even if US-64/87 in NE NM is part of the Ports to Plains Corridor. If the extension went North along US-287 it would give motorists, truckers in particular, an alternative to going over Raton Pass to get into Colorado.

I would still go through Raton for my own road trips from Lawton to Colorado Springs. That's the shorter route. But it's a lot easier for someone to drive a passenger vehicle over Raton Pass than driving a loaded semi-truck. Then there is the issue of weather. Having two good quality alternatives between the Texas Panhandle and Southern Colorado would be good in cases of winter weather or summer storms, either of which can close down either route.

--- Quote from: roadman65 ---The big question will it have a child loop at Big Springs, as itís proposed to go through both Midland and the aforementioned?
--- End quote ---

Big Spring is not a problem. I-27 would obviously be routed along the new US-87 freeway bypass going around the West side of Big Spring.

--- Quote from: SkyPesos ---Nothing about taking over Future I-2 southeast to Brownsville or a northern extension to I-70 at Limon?
--- End quote ---

There is no reason for an I-27 extension ending in Laredo to cannibalize I-2 farther South of Laredo. Leave I-2 alone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version