New York State Draft Supplement to the 2009 MUTCD is now online

Started by Dougtone, October 06, 2010, 09:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

vdeane

Looks like NY is planning to go distance-based, though it says nothing as to when.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

thank goodness!  non-distance-based exit numbers are just silly.  Any idea if Mass will ever abandon the concept? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SidS1045

The sign on page 239 of the Draft Supplement made me LOL:

Welcome
to
NEW YORK
The Empire State

ALFRED E. SMITH, Governor

I thought this was supposed to be an up-to-date supplement?
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Scott5114

It is using the most up-to-date results from the 1922 gubernatorial election! :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dougtone

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 07, 2010, 04:49:25 PM
The sign on page 239 of the Draft Supplement made me LOL:

Welcome
to
NEW YORK
The Empire State

ALFRED E. SMITH, Governor

I thought this was supposed to be an up-to-date supplement?

New York got rid of the governor's name from the welcome signs when Pataki was governor.  Which is surprising, considering that George Pataki liked putting his name on everything else.

Scott5114

I guess they didn't get rid of all of them, though. I have seen photos where Pataki had clearly been patched over by Eliot Spitzer. (And I assume Paterson after that).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 07, 2010, 09:23:37 PMIt is using the most up-to-date results from the 1922 gubernatorial election! :P

I think you are seeing traffic sign archaeology at work.  Al Smith was probably actually governor when the first version of that particular guide sign was added to the New York State traffic manual.  It is similar to the way "Roseville 5, Sacramento 23, Oakland 110" has been re-drawn (in California) with the same placeholder names and distances for over 50 years.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Dougtone

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 08, 2010, 11:17:44 AM
I guess they didn't get rid of all of them, though. I have seen photos where Pataki had clearly been patched over by Eliot Spitzer. (And I assume Paterson after that).

There is a state welcome sign when entering Hancock, NY from PA 191 (it's a local street on this side of the Delaware River) that had been patched over by Spitzer's name, but was greened out after Paterson became governor.  That's the only one I'm aware of that does this.

SidS1045

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 07, 2010, 09:23:37 PM
It is using the most up-to-date results from the 1922 gubernatorial election! :P

...or 1918, 1924 or 1926.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.