News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 99

Started by Chris, January 19, 2009, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

BREEZEWOOD!!!!

Four at-grade (at least part of) Interstates - two in PA? :banghead:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mightyace

Quote from: Master son on January 28, 2009, 05:06:18 PM
BREEZEWOOD!!!!

Pennsylvania used to have a tourist motto of "America Starts Here"

Of course, if you're driving an Pennsylvania interstate it's "America Stops Here!" (and sometimes pays a toll, too!) X-(
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

akotchi

BREEZEWOOD!!!!

Don't forget the portion of I-78 that passes through traffic signals between the NJ Turnpike and the Holland Tunnel!
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

DAL764

Quote from: akotchi on January 28, 2009, 10:17:12 PM
BREEZEWOOD!!!!

Don't forget the portion of I-78 that passes through traffic signals between the NJ Turnpike and the Holland Tunnel!
At least for I-78 the argument can be made that this is due to the whole area being densely populated, whereas Breezewood is pretty much in the middle of f'n nowhere. At least there you don't necessarily have NIMBYs b!tching about interstate construction. Not that it makes it any better, but still...

akotchi

. . . Just a lot of hoteliers, restauranteurs and truck stop operators that would see business plummet if the connection were ever made.  After all, isn't that all Breezewood is?
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alex

A glorified truck stop IMO. Really its just a cluster of sprawl feeding off of an Interstate without the actual Interstate there.

rawr apples

Now shut up and drivee

TheHighwayMan3561

I was in Breezewood in March of '07...I was shocked. I had (and still haven't) NEVER seen so many businesses packed in in one place. Look at that shit! *points at photo above*
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Alex

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 29, 2009, 10:45:15 PM
I was in Breezewood in March of '07...I was shocked. I had (and still haven't) NEVER seen so many businesses packed in in one place. Look at that shit! *points at photo above*

Isn't it wonderful! All chain businesses too...

FLRoads

Quote from: aaroads on January 29, 2009, 10:54:06 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 29, 2009, 10:45:15 PM

Isn't it wonderful! All chain businesses too...

Yes, it makes me want to jump in my car and drive up there. I don't see one, but I'm sure there's a Burger "Spleene" around.

PAHighways

I've been through Breezewood so many times I don't even notice them anymore.  To think, it all began with the Gateway Truck Stop which was built when the Turnpike was completed to offer services for those traveling south on then PA 126.

John

Ahhh Breezewood. I got food poisioning there... twice!
They came, they went, they took my image...

TheHighwayMan3561

I also can pretty safely say the sign of the cop saying "YOU! SLOW DOWN!" as you exit I-76 is gone. It was a bummer because I was looking forward to seeing it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

Does anyone know if Congress has passed the legislation necessary to officially extend I-99 from Bald Eagle to around I-80?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

Quote from: deanej on February 01, 2009, 07:23:21 PM
Does anyone know if Congress has passed the legislation necessary to officially extend I-99 from Bald Eagle to around I-80?

I haven't found anything on it, unless it has just recently passed.

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on February 02, 2009, 12:54:36 AM
Quote from: deanej on February 01, 2009, 07:23:21 PM

I haven't found anything on it, unless it has just recently passed.

Since when did a little thing such as the law stop politicians.  :-D

Seriously, does anyone know whether the original law needs to be amended to cover the new section of I-99 or whether that original legislation covered more ground that what was initially in place?

Hellfighter

What's the timeline to begin construction on the I-80/I-99 Interchange?

mightyace

Quote from: Hellfighter06 on February 05, 2009, 05:27:06 PM

I don't know.

I can say this.  From driving the older parts of I-99 and the parts of US 220 & US 322 near state college, there is not a lot of traffic on this road.  If the highway had remained just US 220, then the interchange could remain as it currently is.  IMHO

PAHighways

Quote from: Hellfighter06 on February 05, 2009, 05:27:06 PM

It was supposed to have begun a few years back, but acid rock reared its ugly head there as well.

John

Yeah acid rock is still delaying that. The bill extending I-99 was passed not too long ago, someone posted the date in a new thread a couple hours ago.
They came, they went, they took my image...

LeftyJR

Actually, PENNDot has fixed this problem with the at grade interchange with Musser Road.  They added a "to" sign right above the "south 99" marker.

jackson1300

Why is I-99 still posted at 55 mph between I-80 and US-322 WB? That is clearly rural and somewhat suburban and can clearly be safely signed at 65 mph.  Also, does anyone know of any plans to rebuild 322 into some sort of 4-lane interstate standard highway or 4-lane parkway of sorts?

PAHighways

Quote from: jackson1300 on April 06, 2009, 10:48:58 AM
Why is I-99 still posted at 55 mph between I-80 and US-322 WB? That is clearly rural and somewhat suburban and can clearly be safely signed at 65 mph.  Also, does anyone know of any plans to rebuild 322 into some sort of 4-lane interstate standard highway or 4-lane parkway of sorts?

No one goes 55 anyway.

I mention the plan to upgrade US 322 between State College and Milroy on my website.

LeftyJR

QuoteNo one goes 55 anyway.

I mention the plan to upgrade US 322 between State College and Milroy on my website.

Just watch out southbound around Exit 80...the cops sit there all the time!

dave19

And there's your reason why it's posted 55.  X-(

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.