News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Work to Begin on Diverging Diamond in Joplin

Started by US71, August 13, 2012, 11:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x685074247/Work-begins-Monday-on-I-44-and-Range-Line-interchange

I-44 at Range Line Rd (Bus US 71) is being turned into a Diverging Diamond Interchange. This will be the second DDI along I-44 and the seventh in Missouri over all.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

I've noticed that Missouri is pretty gung-ho on DDIs.  It's made me wonder if it will eventually regret it later.  How much increase in traffic can a DDI stand before it too becomes overloaded?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

brad2971

Quote from: kphoger on August 13, 2012, 02:21:18 PM
I've noticed that Missouri is pretty gung-ho on DDIs.  It's made me wonder if it will eventually regret it later.  How much increase in traffic can a DDI stand before it too becomes overloaded?

Well, I think the only thing that would overload a DDI is if there are ramp meters on the onramps. Which I would have to think would limit its usage in certain metro areas (Denver and MSP, I'm looking at the two of you).

Revive 755

^ IIRC there's a point where if through traffic volumes get too high DDI's start breaking down and can have issues with backing into adjacent intersections.  This can be compensated for with additional lanes through the DDI, but this can get problematic with adding/droping the additional lanes outside the DDI.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.