News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: ajlynch91 on December 30, 2014, 11:25:17 AM
Quote from: pumpkineater2 on December 04, 2014, 07:30:57 PM
If you sit in class drawing interstate shields around every number on the paper that you know is an actual interstate.
And if you always spend several minutes of class drawing perfectly to scale freeways all over your papers. :hyper:

Totally did this. And I also numbered all the major halls by Interstate rules ascending from west to east, north to south, and giving 3di numbers to branch halls.
Guilty on both counts, especially in high school, where I named each hall after all the expressways of Chicagoland.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Nature Boy

My high school had two "wings." One had just one hall and the other had two parallel halls with two connectors. It would've had the most boring highway system known to mankind.

KG909

Your Call of Duty Emblems are ALL highway or Interstate shields.
~Fuccboi

1995hoo

If you sit in class drawing interstate shields around every number on the paper that you know is an actual interstate.
And if you always spend several minutes of class drawing perfectly to scale freeways all over your papers. :hyper:

Totally did this. And I also numbered all the major halls by Interstate rules ascending from west to east, north to south, and giving 3di numbers to branch halls.

Heh. The elementary school I attended from fourth through sixth grades published a student phone directory that had a hand-drawn neighborhood map in it. I used tracing paper to trace the map, link up many of the streets that ended in cul-de-sacs so they'd become thru routes, assigned "highway" numbers (using Interstate or US shields) to all of them, and made some close-up maps of "interchanges" that, had they actually been built, would have obliterated most of the roads I'd just drawn.

(I do not have any of said maps to scan and upload. When I cleaned my room before heading off to college, I took all those old maps and other stuff to the landfill myself so my parents wouldn't discover them and ridicule me.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

renegade

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 30, 2014, 12:51:54 PM
(I do not have any of said maps to scan and upload. When I cleaned my room before heading off to college, I took all those old maps and other stuff to the landfill myself so my parents wouldn't discover them and ridicule me.)

I did this, too ... had five full Hefty bags that weighed 50-75 lbs each, and countless boxes of stuff ...

Sure do wish I still had all of that, though.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hm insulators

Quote from: Henry on December 30, 2014, 11:35:14 AM

Guilty on both counts, especially in high school, where I named each hall after all the expressways of Chicagol

I used to name the school hallways!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

PHLBOS

... when one finds out that it will be a Patriots/Seahawks match-up for Super Bowl XLIX and they think "I-90 Super Bowl".   :sombrero:
Yeah Foxboro's a tad south of I-90 & Boston but still.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 19, 2015, 09:26:56 AM
... when one finds out that it will be a Patriots/Seahawks match-up for Super Bowl XLIX and they think "I-90 Super Bowl".   :sombrero:

Eh, I-90 is the Mass Pike and since Foxborough is in Massachusetts, it counts for enough. However the actual site for the Super Bowl will be held closer to I-10.  :sombrero:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on January 19, 2015, 10:51:49 AMHowever the actual site for the Super Bowl will be held closer to I-10.  :sombrero:
True, but most people (excluding die-hard football fans or those that have actually attended a Super Bowl) usually only remember the teams that played; not necessarily the location of the game.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CentralCAroadgeek

...when you get bugged by a Bay Area radio ad that calls US-101, "the 101".

OracleUsr

I do that, too.  I usually call it "the battle of xx"...but I can't bring myself to call the superbowl this with New England actually closer to Providence than Boston.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

bing101

Kacie Jane

I feel like Century Link Field being literally right at I-90's western terminus makes up for Foxboro's location more off the beaten path.

KEK Inc.

Are there any other Superbowls that happened recently at the polar ends of a major Interstate? 

Have there been a Superbowl with the Jets (NYC) vs the 49ers (SF)?  (The I-80 bowl).   
Take the road less traveled.

NE2

...your reaction to FritzOwl is hatred rather than confusion.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ajlynch91

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 19, 2015, 11:36:45 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on January 19, 2015, 10:51:49 AMHowever the actual site for the Super Bowl will be held closer to I-10.  :sombrero:
True, but most people (excluding die-hard football fans or those that have actually attended a Super Bowl) usually only remember the teams that played; not necessarily the location of the game.

I used to have a T-shirt referring to the Bears-Colts Super Bowl (XLI?) as the I-65 Bowl.

spooky

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 22, 2015, 06:11:57 AM
Are there any other Superbowls that happened recently at the polar ends of a major Interstate? 

Have there been a Superbowl with the Jets (NYC) vs the 49ers (SF)?  (The I-80 bowl).   

The Jets only Super Bowl appearance was a win over the Baltimore Colts.

PHLBOS

Quote from: ajlynch91 on January 22, 2015, 08:06:22 AM

I used to have a T-shirt referring to the Bears-Colts Super Bowl (XLI?) as the I-65 Bowl.
The one that could've been played at Fort Wayne; at least according to then-Colts Coach Tony Dungy.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Kacie Jane

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 22, 2015, 06:11:57 AM

There aren't a whole lot of pairings that would work for this, and other than this year, none have occurred.  The game that comes closest might be Super Bowl XXIi between Washington (not all that far from the terminus of I-70, and previously the terminus of one of its suffixed branches) and Denver (kind of far from the actual end of I-70, but the last major city it serves).

NE2

Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 23, 2015, 12:08:55 PM
Denver (kind of far from the actual end of I-70, but the last major city it serves).
And the end in the original 1955-56 plan.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thephantomcheese

You not only draw imaginary maps of imaginary states, but draw them for every year back to 1921.

amroad17

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 22, 2015, 05:07:16 PM
Quote from: ajlynch91 on January 22, 2015, 08:06:22 AM

The one that could've been played at Fort Wayne; at least according to then-Colts Coach Tony Dungy.
Naw, they could have played at Purdue Stadium in West Lafayette, IN.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Michael

...you instantly recognize a NYSDOT-maintained road while playing GeoGuessr.

This just happened to me.  First, I noticed the general look of the pavement itself, then I noticed a culvert delineator.  After moving a few steps, I noticed a reference marker on a post with another delineator.  I had to move quite a bit to find a route shield since the imagery was SD and I couldn't read the reference marker.

NE2

Not quite the same thing, but perhaps in the spirit of this thread. I went walking with a couple folks today. After I told them what I do for fun, one of them asked if I knew how roads got their numbers. I immediately thought 'holy crap, an intelligent question!'.

thenetwork

...One of the reasons you watched "The Partridge Family" as a kid was because you liked to see all of the road signs hanging up on the walls when they practiced in their garage....

...only to realize when you got a bit older and wiser that the signs weren't even close to being the real things!!!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.