News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rural Freeways That Need Six Lanes

Started by webny99, January 01, 2019, 12:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: roadman65 on January 07, 2019, 11:26:10 PM
How about I-95 in SC between the Georgia Line and Exit 33. Traffic has clogged that stretch since the 1980's and the only widening in SC along I-95 that SCDOT has done was to six lane the part near Florence.

I-30 in Texas from the Metroplex to Texarkana needs to be widened badly as four lanes is not enough to handle the load that freeway has.
I-30 doesn't have very much traffic, if any, turning off in Texarkana as I-49 isn't complete north of there until Alma, so it likely needs it all the way to US-70.

roadman65

The time I drove IH 30 it was very congested on a weekday in September back in 12.  It was steady and moveable, but could have used breathing space.  It did flow at its 75 mph, but pushing it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

^^^^^^^^
All of I-30 seems like it should be expanded to at least 6 overall lanes, probably due to the very high percentage of truck traffic.  But from my own experience the segment in AR -- specifically starting a bit into TX at the I-369/US 59 interchange and extending NE to the US 70 merge, where currently the 6-lane section begins -- is the section actually warranting 6 lanes.  Despite the presence of a large number of trucks, I-30 from Greenville to US 59 is functioning quite well in its 2+2 configuration; but the overall number of vehicles picks up once in AR.  I don't know if ADOT has done a traffic count after I-49 was opened down to I-220 in LA, but it would certainly be revealing to compare I-30 counts (east of the I-49 junction, of course) before and after that occurred.   

index

I-40 through Haywood County, NC, all the times I've been on it, feels rather crowded, especially with the truck traffic it gets. Even though it has an AADT of about 26,000, I feel a widening could be justified. However it'd prove to be a long and costly task, due to the terrain it goes through and the fact the route has tunnels on it.

IIRC, it is also one of the most dangerous stretches of Interstate highway in NC, and I'd bet it's due, in part, not only to the winding nature of it but the level of trucks. A bit of breathing room could be an improvement.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

webny99

How about I-95 in SC between the Georgia Line and Exit 33.

Literally, like half of the thread has been about that exact segment.
I'm not sure if you knew that or not. Froggie did some very detailed research for us on I-95 in the Carolinas, which can be found in Reply# 37.

vdeane

Quote from: jakeroot on January 07, 2019, 10:35:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 07, 2019, 09:11:15 PM
the trip took 2.5 hours, and in order to not miss the series finale of Once Upon a Time, I had to skip dinner;

You know you can DVR shows, right? I'm not sure I've ever watched anything live, apart from the occasional HBO program where I don't have to watch commercials.
I don't have cable, and even if I bought a DVR, I often have to futz around with my antenna to make programs watchable (given that my antenna is naturally level with the ground due to how my apartment is laid out and there's a shrub just outside, I'm probably lucky that it works at all), so I wouldn't trust that it could record things while I was away.  So no, I can't DVR shows.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sprjus4

Quote from: index on January 08, 2019, 08:25:41 AM
I-40 through Haywood County, NC, all the times I've been on it, feels rather crowded, especially with the truck traffic it gets. Even though it has an AADT of about 26,000, I feel a widening could be justified. However it'd prove to be a long and costly task, due to the terrain it goes through and the fact the route has tunnels on it.

IIRC, it is also one of the most dangerous stretches of Interstate highway in NC, and I'd bet it's due, in part, not only to the winding nature of it but the level of trucks. A bit of breathing room could be an improvement.
It being a dangerous stretch of highway, narrow, and winding through the mountain would make extremely challenging to widen, not to mention the amount of money it would cost. There's just not too much that could realistically happen, and not much of a need.

sprjus4

Quote from: jakeroot on January 07, 2019, 10:35:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 07, 2019, 09:11:15 PM
the trip took 2.5 hours, and in order to not miss the series finale of Once Upon a Time, I had to skip dinner;

You know you can DVR shows, right? I'm not sure I've ever watched anything live, apart from the occasional HBO program where I don't have to watch commercials.

For the record, every time I've gone south from DC towards Richmond on 95, I've also hit traffic right around the point where the express lanes end, and then off and on for quite a few miles. My last trip, which was to South Boston, VA, I stayed on 95 all the way to exit 12, and experienced a significant amount of traffic off and on starting at the end of the express lanes, lasting for what felt like hundreds of miles. This was the 29th of December of last month. I was so annoyed by the traffic that I stayed off 95 (heading back to DC) until Fredericksburg, using back roads from South Boston to there instead. Was a bit more relaxing!
Assume you were referring to Exit 12 off I-85 near South Hill? Because Exit 12 off I-95 doesn't exist  :hmmm:

froggie

^ There's a northbound Exit 12 on I-95 (ramp to northbound 301) on the north side of Emporia.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on January 08, 2019, 06:41:54 PM
^ There's a northbound Exit 12 on I-95 (ramp to northbound 301) on the north side of Emporia.
Well, yes, but only northbound. jakeroot was referring to southbound.

froggie

Probably referring to Exit 11 (US 58) then, given South Boston was his destination.  I find it highly unlikely he'd see the volume of traffic he claimed on I-85 south of Petersburg.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on January 08, 2019, 07:20:07 PM
Probably referring to Exit 11 (US 58) then, given South Boston was his destination.  I find it highly unlikely he'd see the volume of traffic he claimed on I-85 south of Petersburg.
I-95 traffic from Fredericksburg to Richmond. Taking I-95 to Emporia then to South Boston is about 25 minutes slower then taking I-85 to South Hill.

jakeroot

It was 85. My bad. Still learning the roads in the area.

85 was quieter than 95, but I still recall some brief slowdowns. I do very clearly remember US-58 being wide open.

sprjus4

Quote from: jakeroot on January 08, 2019, 07:28:09 PM
It was 85. My bad. Still learning the roads in the area.

85 was quieter than 95, but I still recall some brief slowdowns. I do very clearly remember US-58 being wide open.
It's all good, just was confused because taking I-95 to Emporia is a lot slower then just shooting down I-85. I've never traveled on I-85 in Virginia, except from U.S. 58 at South Hill to North Carolina (living in Hampton Roads, I have just about no reasons to traverse it), same with I-95 between Richmond and Emporia. I would like to try those highways someday, especially the 80s segment of upgrades to 301, some interesting, yet well done designs. I drove U.S. 58 from Hampton Roads to Martinsville a couple weeks ago for the first time, and from HR to I-95, it was pretty crowded, from I-95 to I-85, somewhat but less so, then from there everybody hopped on I-85, and U.S. 58 was completely empty, a very relaxing ride, all the way to Martinsville. One of my favorite main highways in southern Virginia that I've driven on.

roadman65

Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2019, 08:50:01 AM

I'm not sure if you knew that or not. Froggie did some very detailed research for us on I-95 in the Carolinas, which can be found in Reply# 37.
This thread is about anybody to comment about interesting topics.  FYI I am not religious on here like some so excuse me if I do not read the whole thing.  I find the I-95 thing to be well warranted and Froggie is correct.  Its been a hold up for many years and SCDOT does not seem to want to make it a priority.

I know you have aspergers as you stated which means you are prone to being literal, which means you need to realize at times to cool down.  I have learned to let things go as it can bug you at times like it would at the toll plaza how many people don't read simple road signs when they complain FDOT leaves out the price of the toll which they do not.  I learned not to be so literal. You should too.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: roadman65 on January 09, 2019, 12:13:52 AM
This thread is about anybody to comment about interesting topics.

Well, to be honest, that's not exactly what I had in mind. But sure, say whatever you want!  :-D

webny99

Quote from: roadman65 on January 09, 2019, 12:13:52 AM
Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2019, 08:50:01 AM
FYI I am not religious on here like some so excuse me if I do not read the whole thing.

You are excused. :-P

QuoteI know you have aspergers as you stated which means you are prone to being literal, which means you need to realize at times to cool down.  I have learned to let things go as it can bug you at times like it would at the toll plaza how many people don't read simple road signs when they complain FDOT leaves out the price of the toll which they do not.  I learned not to be so literal. You should too.

Whoa!
I am not sure who told you they have aspergers (maybe multiple people, given the threads we've had), but I do know it definitely wasn't me. I am not super-comfortable in social situations, but I get along fine, and have never been diagnosed with an actual condition.

I didn't mean to offend; and sorry if I sounded harsh. Just wanted to make sure you knew there had been plenty of discussion of I-95 SC if you were interested.

swhuck

Quote from: sparker on January 08, 2019, 05:52:16 AM
^^^^^^^^
All of I-30 seems like it should be expanded to at least 6 overall lanes, probably due to the very high percentage of truck traffic.  But from my own experience the segment in AR -- specifically starting a bit into TX at the I-369/US 59 interchange and extending NE to the US 70 merge, where currently the 6-lane section begins -- is the section actually warranting 6 lanes.  Despite the presence of a large number of trucks, I-30 from Greenville to US 59 is functioning quite well in its 2+2 configuration; but the overall number of vehicles picks up once in AR.  I don't know if ADOT has done a traffic count after I-49 was opened down to I-220 in LA, but it would certainly be revealing to compare I-30 counts (east of the I-49 junction, of course) before and after that occurred.   

Compared to some of the other roads on this thread that should be expanded, I-30 can wait. I could maybe make an argument for the Metroplex to Greenville along with anything in Texarkana that hasn't yet been upgraded, but that's it. Heck, US75 from about McKinney to the OK state line needs it more, especially with all the housing going into the area.
Clinched: I-2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 35, 37, 39, 40, 43, 44, 45, 55, 59, 65, 66, 68, 70, 71, 72, 76 (both), 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 (W), 85, 86 (W), 88 (W), 93, 94, 96, 97
US50, 101, 175, 199, 290, 380, 491/666
Clinched for now: I-11, 14, 49, 57

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on January 03, 2019, 09:38:14 PM
I want to study all of Pennsylvania in more detail at some point, but for now just the most obvious ones:

*I-80 from I-380 to the NJ line
(Desparately needed. Volumes are sustained over 50K and even top 70K on some segments!)

*I-78 from I-81 to the NJ line
*I-81 from I-83 to I-78

(Together, these widenings would create a continuous six-lane corridor from Harrisburg to NYC - sorely needed given the incredible volume of trucks using both I-78 and I-81!)

Adding to my list for Pennsylvania.

I-80:
From NJ state line west to I-380 was mentioned above (needs widening!).
From I-380 west to I-81, not really warranted now, but possibly in the future. Volumes sustained in the mid-to-high 20K's.
From I-81 west to I-180, widening warranted per criteria of 30K, but not a high priority. Volumes sustained between 30K and 40K.
From US 15 west to OH state line, (somewhat surprisingly) not warranted. Volumes reach 30K on a few short segments, but not sustained.

I-81:
From MD state line north to Harrisburg is very much warranted. Sustained over 40K and nearing 50K in spots.
From Harrisburg to I-78 mentioned above (needs widening!)
From I-78 north to Hazelton: not warranted at this time.
From Hazelton north to Scranton and up to I-476 (preferably PA 107), segments not already six-laned need widening.
From PA 107 north to NY state line: not warranted at this time.

I-76: widening warranted from I-79 to Breezewood, and from Harrisburg east.
I-79: minimum six lanes needed from Waynesburg, through the Pittsburgh area, and north to US 422 (not sure how much is six-laned already!)
I-83: may have been mentioned, very much needed between Harrisburg and the MD state line.
I-90: widening needed between I-79 and (eastern) I-86.

All told, I think PA has even more work to do than NY!  :-P

Plutonic Panda

I'm sure some of these have already been mentioned but I'll compile my own list.

I-15 between Barstow and Primm(could even be argued to 8 lanes)
I-5 between and LA and SF
I-44 between OKC and Tulsa

Though probably not really needed, I'd like to see I-35 widened between OKC and Dallas to six lanes just because with TxDOT having widened the interstate to six lanes throughout a large potion of the state it would likely be one of the longest stretches of six laned interstate in the country. It would also be nice to have as it would be easier to maintain speed without having to slow down every five fucking miles because of someone camping in the left lane.

Road Hog

Quote from: sparker on January 08, 2019, 05:52:16 AM
^^^^^^^^
1. Traffic is just slower in Arkansas, largely due to construction zones. The 70 mph speed limit should be 75.

2. The job is in the works starting at US 70, but right now the 6-laning of I-30 begins at Sevier Street in Benton.

3. For a tiny state, Arkansas gets a lot of interstate traffic. Wouldn't break my heart if every interstate had 6 lanes, especially I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis.

4. Take the stupid governors off the stupid trucks.

sprjus4

Quote from: Road Hog on January 11, 2019, 06:23:04 PM
4. Take the stupid governors off the stupid trucks.
I wouldn't say the trucks that are currently governed need them removed, but they need to be increased to allow every truck to have a max speed of 75 MPH. Anything higher than 75 MPH in a truck is dangerous and not good on the tires. There's some trucks that are governed around 60 - 62 MPH which creates some dangerous situations.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 11, 2019, 01:06:09 PM
I'm sure some of these have already been mentioned but I'll compile my own list.

I-15 between Barstow and Primm(could even be argued to 8 lanes)

While it does connect the Southern California Megalopolis to Las Vegas and points north and northeast, I am surprised that Interstate 15 between Barstow and Primm needs to be widened. It is certainly justified for I-15 from Barstow south to the Megalopolis (especially due to all the long-distance trucks and traffic coming in from I-40 West), but I just didn't know there was that much traffic on I-15 northeast of Barstow.

Though probably not really needed, I'd like to see I-35 widened between OKC and Dallas to six lanes just because with TxDOT having widened the interstate to six lanes throughout a large potion of the state it would likely be one of the longest stretches of six laned interstate in the country. It would also be nice to have as it would be easier to maintain speed without having to slow down every five fucking miles because of someone camping in the left lane.

It could be useful now (though perhaps not a necessity) - but if it's not needed now, I suspect it could become even more so not too long from now in the future - by looking at the monstrous growth of the DFW Metro Area, Oklahoma City, and other nearby areas in the thriving Sun Belt.
There's also probably a good bit of truck traffic on this route, and that will likely only increase in the future. But it is an intriguing idea to be sure - and it could definitely be one of the longest stretches of interstate in the country with a sustained minimum of six lanes.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Plutonic Panda

^^^ regarding I-15, it actually flows well most of the time, but it would still be a much better improvement if it were a minimum of six lanes without having to slow down for slow drivers passing trucks in the right lane where it's only two lanes.

Really, if CA wanted to go the cheap route, there are many portions where the freeway is already six lanes if you count the climbing lanes, so they could just expand those. But ideally they'd slap two lanes(one each direction) in the median. There was an article last year where the mayor of Las Vegas(IIRC) called for the widening, so maybe with SB-1 in place, we might see some sort of movement.

Regarding I-35, it would be really nice to see it. I know TxDOT is planning 6 lanes or more on its portion across the red river and I believe it will even expand the bridges over the red river and widen the freeway to Winstar. It would be nice to see OkDOT pursue that undertaking, but there are so many needs in the state, unless they received a large budget increase, it'd be hard to justify this project.

sprjus4

it would likely be one of the longest stretches of six laned interstate in the country.

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 11, 2019, 06:30:39 PM
and it could definitely be one of the longest stretches of interstate in the country with a sustained minimum of six lanes.
I-75 maintains at least 6 lanes between Chattanooga, TN and Naples, FL, a distance of 735 miles (with a couple of half-mile 4-lane sections at major junctions, but 6-lanes everywhere else). A six-lane I-35 between San Antonio and Oklahoma City would only be 500 miles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.