News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

A stupid proposal

Started by Roadgeekteen, October 05, 2017, 10:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

On aprill fools day, all threads should be unlocked for the day if they are locked :bigass:.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Alanland, Dam Jokes, ARRR DOT, etc.: could be reasonable.
Locked because of politics or name-calling: definitely not.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on October 05, 2017, 10:45:56 AM
Alanland, Dam Jokes, ARRR DOT, etc.: could be reasonable.
Locked because of politics or name-calling: definitely not.
It should be mods choice which ones to unlock.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

TheArkansasRoadgeek

No, we have to be progressive! Do not unlock 'A Pirates Favorite DOT'! :banghead:
It's bad enough that they went the route they did with the logo...
SteveG started it all, looking back on it, I went back and I still laughed! Good times!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 05, 2017, 10:44:18 AM
On aprill fools day, all threads should be unlocked for the day if they are locked :bigass:.

Or we could tell you we're going to, then not.  :evilgrin:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US71 on October 05, 2017, 11:56:57 AM

I won't be fooled.

freebrickproductions

My proposal has always been for AARoads to temporarily rebrand themselves as "AAToads". :-D
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on October 05, 2017, 11:56:57 AM

We have a winner!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jakeroot

I could finally get in that last word I always wanted.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on October 05, 2017, 04:11:34 PM
Which is...?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 05, 2017, 03:09:08 PM
My proposal has always been for AARoads to temporarily rebrand themselves as "AAToads". :-D

AA Viatologists

jakeroot

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 05, 2017, 04:29:22 PM

Which is...?

A lot of different things. Usually arguments where I finally thought of a good response but the thread was locked before I could get in my last word. I think the lane splitting thread was one of them. Several of the threads were just deleted. You can imagine the content of those.

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on October 05, 2017, 06:00:00 PM

Which is...?

A lot of different things. Usually arguments where I finally thought of a good response but the thread was locked before I could get in my last word. I think the lane splitting thread was one of them. Several of the threads were just deleted. You can imagine the content of those.

So you're only here to get the last word?

noelbotevera

I'm just awaiting the return of Alanland. I had thrown it around a few times to revive it, but I'd rather not risk the wrath of the moderators.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 05, 2017, 06:10:26 PM
I'm just awaiting the return of Alanland. I had thrown it around a few times to revive it, but I'd rather not risk the wrath of the moderators.
I don't get why it was locked.

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 05, 2017, 08:38:22 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on October 05, 2017, 06:10:26 PM
I don't get why it was locked.

It ran its course.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Cause of the flame wars.  We have too many people who get mad over silly stuff, politics, and most of all difference of opinion on roads and a few on here with pretty bad sense of humors that offend some too.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: US71 on October 05, 2017, 06:06:54 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 05, 2017, 06:00:00 PM

Which is...?

So you're only here to get the last word?

Not usually. But in the case of those threads, I feel there was stuff I wanted to say but wasn't able to (although the threads were probably better off locked).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ParrDa on October 05, 2017, 09:15:46 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 05, 2017, 08:48:34 PM
Not usually. But in the case of those threads, I feel there was stuff I wanted to say but wasn't able to (although the threads were probably better off locked).

I find the same. With threads that will ineviteably get locked, its a matter of having good luck and good timing. And sometimes even what the mod says when they lock it would get a lot of comments, if only...

All this gives me a good idea: have a delay of an hour or so from the mod' s post, to when you can no longer reply. That would allow an extra opportunity to squeak in humor or relevant content.
I think an hour delay would work very well.

pumpkineater2

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 05, 2017, 10:55:41 PM

I find the same. With threads that will ineviteably get locked, its a matter of having good luck and good timing. And sometimes even what the mod says when they lock it would get a lot of comments, if only...

All this gives me a good idea: have a delay of an hour or so from the mod' s post, to when you can no longer reply. That would allow an extra opportunity to squeak in humor or relevant content.

I wonder if this were to be done, if the mods would choose to provide a notification in the thread that it is to be locked in one hour. If so, I think that would spur a lot of users to comment when they would otherwise not have done so, just for the sake of getting in their "In befores". I know that this forum has the potential to take a thread very far down the rabbit hole in a short amount of time if the users were to learn that it is soon to be locked.

On a side note, I foresee this thread being locked at some point.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 05, 2017, 10:55:41 PM

Not possible unless the mod was to baby sit the thread as there's no forum modification to allow us to set a time to lock a thread.  We also have real lives, and unless we were getting paid to stay and do it, odds are wouldn't be possible.

jeffandnicole

No one's going to have time for April Fools jokes anyway.  We'll all be celebrating Easter, going to Church, looking for Easter Eggs, eating Easter Ham, and enjoying jelly beans and chocolate candy.

(Well, I shouldn't include me.  Last year I took a road trip around Easter.  Other than the damn traffic from everyone else doing the same thing, it was a good time to travel)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 06, 2017, 10:41:50 AM
No one's going to have time for April Fools jokes anyway.  We'll all be celebrating Easter, going to Church, looking for Easter Eggs, eating Easter Ham, and enjoying jelly beans and chocolate candy.

(Well, I shouldn't include me.  Last year I took a road trip around Easter.  Other than the damn traffic from everyone else doing the same thing, it was a good time to travel)
I was about to object but then I looked at the date.

hbelkins

Biggest April Fool's joke I can remember was me planning a meet and then not showing up for it.

(Of course I couldn't walk due to debilitating sciatica and ended up in acute kidney failure a couple of weeks later, but still...)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.