News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-40/US 93 West Kingman Interchange Project

Started by Plutonic Panda, March 15, 2024, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

I thought there was a dedicated thread on this but I guess not. As many know a large new interchange is going to be built in West Kingman connecting I-40 to US-93(future I-11) which will bypass the notoriously congested Beale Street.

Bids have officially been awarded and major work will start this summer and wrap up in fall of 2026.

https://azdot.gov/projects/northwest-district-projects/i-40us-93-west-kingman-traffic-interchange?fbclid=IwAR0_Jrew4IA_ZZOC2DTmVSIiAU-CFL12XfnqtlqLd0iJYAp3hVuxeoGI4GE_aem_AZcxC1yxJvK2NT6h3SFsB4aCrbod-8DhSzKrgJNXRg08fKm5MRD9tA8rwx3XeGXKiwI

Plutonic Panda

Project Description
New US 93 segment will connect directly to I-40.
Creates a free-flowing connection between I-40 and US 93 without having to stop at a traffic signal.
New connection ramps will be constructed at US 93 to maintain access to Beale Street.
Increase capacity for I-40.

ilpt4u

But...but...but...all those poor businesses in Kingman that are getting bypassed! Say "No" to the free flow! It has been working for Breezewood PA for decades!

ARMOURERERIC

How well is the ROW protected on 93 north of the new connection?

Anthony_JK

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 15, 2024, 11:18:53 PM
But...but...but...all those poor businesses in Kingman that are getting bypassed! Say "No" to the free flow! It has been working for Breezewood PA for decades!

Until those direct US 93/Future I-11 N to/from I-40 W directional movements are built, they at least have a "half" Breezwood. Should be enough for now, right?

mrsman

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 17, 2024, 07:38:02 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on March 15, 2024, 11:18:53 PM

Until those direct US 93/Future I-11 N to/from I-40 W directional movements are built, they at least have a "half" Breezwood. Should be enough for now, right?

Yes, those movements will still need to use Beale Street.  Just like the movements on the missing I-15, I-40 connection have to use Main Street in Barstow, CA.  But as those are relatively minor movements, traffic overall will be much improved.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 15, 2024, 05:31:43 PM

You can see where the future EB -> NB ramp will pass under the new freeway.  It looks like a bridge over nothing for now.
Also can see the r/w to accommodate those future ramps.
Be nice to have it all built right from the get-go, but considering the glacial pace of the I-11 corridor as a whole in AZ, I can see it won't be an issue for a long time.
Like I think this is the first actually freeway project for I-11 since they came up with I-11.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

Once the free-flow interchange with Interstate 40 is completed, I'm sure Beale St. will become a local street, and not become a Business 93 (or an eventual Business 11).

Henry

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 18, 2024, 03:26:47 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 15, 2024, 05:31:43 PM

You can see where the future EB -> NB ramp will pass under the new freeway.  It looks like a bridge over nothing for now.
Also can see the r/w to accommodate those future ramps.
Be nice to have it all built right from the get-go, but considering the glacial pace of the I-11 corridor as a whole in AZ, I can see it won't be an issue for a long time.
Like I think this is the first actually freeway project for I-11 since they came up with I-11.
It certainly won't be easy trying to squeeze in a ramp after the diamond interchange with Beale Street. I don't think it would be too bad having that street be a transition point for EB-NB and SB-WB traffic, especially since the majority of nonstop traffic would be either going SE to Phoenix or NW to Las Vegas once the connection is in place.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.